• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

This author needs validation (leaving feedback)

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
So... maybe that calls for a stickied thread of its own to have people post those persuasions in, with links to the completed fics. It'd remain at the top so it'd be the first thing people see before they scroll through the hundreds of titles (which are now no longer in chronological order thanks to them being stickied for some reason, I don't get why that happened) to find something to read.
I quite like this idea. I wouldn't be opposed to still allowing people to leave reviews in the threads themselves (especially if the author IS still around) but a fic rec thread would be great.

Regarding the post count ... kinda? The reason why post count is disabled there is because back in the day, there used to be this weird system in which threads were copied to the forum, not simply moved. (Consequently, I suppose in that sense, yes, your post count would end up jacked up because all of a sudden, threads are counted twice, but still.) We migrated to the moving system eventually, but a lot of the old settings were never changed because when it comes to specialized forums with complex settings, it's often not just a simple matter of hitting one button, sad to say.
There was some exasperation present here that I think has since been edited, but I was wanting to take responsibility for it nonetheless. I didn't mean to imply that I thought the issue was more simple or fixable than it really was, or that anyone was just...refraining from cleaning up the forum for no good reason. In fact, part of the reason I've never brought this up before is because I figured the sub-forum's issues had evolved over time and that no one problem was the sole cause of it. But in my haste to complain I kinda forgot to acknowledge that. ^^;

So, since I've been on hiatus from the forum so many times and appear to be woefully misinformed, I should get clarification on some things now:

- Are the stickified threads still necessary for anything?
- Does the sub-forum currently add to post count? (I didn't even know it didn't in the past.) If someone's fic gets added today, do they immediately lose all those posts?
- If yes to the above, am I correct in assuming that "switching" it would have the opposite problem of artificially inflating post counts?

I can see now that this is a complex issue...

That said, could we implement the system Chibi suggests without cataloguing every single thread that's already there? Probably! But that depends on whether or not folks would want that. Operating without a catalogue means you're digging through hundreds of threads without knowing what they're about or whether or not they'll suit your fancy, and whereas that system definitely works for the main forum (because you're reviewing fics over there for a completely different reason), I'd imagine that if you want to dig through fics of yesteryear to gush about, you'd want a handy list telling you what each one is about, amirite?
I was JUST about to say, I don't think a catalog is totally necessary. xD If I'm wanting to read a complete fic, it'd almost be more efficient to just browse the fics themselves than go consult a ginormous list that would be difficult to create and maintain anyway. I mean...we do just fine locating fics to read in the main forum by browsing titles alone. Also, if we set a precedent for reviews in that subforum being intended to highlight a fic, that would be another quick way to check if something looks interesting. Also a rec thread. I would totally post so many recs. (Though depending on activity level, such a thread might need to allow double posting so it doesn't stagnate, so long as like...no one spams it. Maybe like no more than one rec post per day/week/whatever.)

~Chibi~;249;;448;

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Would the catalog really be that hard to maintain, though, considering the relatively modest flow of new content into it? Initial setup, yeah, that's a much bigger lift, but once all the old content is catalogued it shouldn't be too hard to keep it up to date.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
I still don't know what people here think of my story.

I don't mean to sound rude, but your fic’s only been up for two days. As the rest of this thread might indicate, we’re currently in the middle of a big push to change the forum culture to one of reviewing other fics in order to get reviews for oneself, but it’s still a work-in-progress. So the best advice I can give is to post around so more people see you and get curious about your story.

I and a couple of others have taken on the goal of reviewing all the new fics that get posted in order to create a more welcoming atmosphere for newcomers, but this week also saw a lot of updates from the big-name fics, so a lot of us have been busy with that (at least, I have.)

~Chibi~;249;;448;

Last edited:

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
Comments, like anything on the Internet, is a mixed bag. You may get positive ones for a story or anything you do. At the same time, you get negative comments. It's the nature of the beast. It's never a good idea to beg for comments. Just post and let the work speak for itself. If you do get a bad response, you have two options: Ignore it or maybe learn from the creative criticism they HOPEFULLY give you.

The chances are that they won't. It's a catch-22 situation.

Personally, I try not to think about comments. Some people I know don't even read the comments on their videos or other works because there are jerks there. Yes, feedback motivates you. The thing is though, you gotta hope the right person comes along and hits ya up with creative criticism.

Let me give you an example or two. Warning: These will be video related as I haven't done prose like I used to in ages. The same thing applies. A comment is a comment no matter WHERE you post it. Here we go.

A friend of mine who also does videos used to critique others videos in much the same way as people review fanfics. It was a thread about the pros and cons of videos. He had some critiques of my work and helped me out. He gave me some ideas on how to do better and I did. It was a good thing I listened to that advice because my videos are better for it. Plus it gave me a bit more confidence to sit in front of the camera. His comments ended up being helpful. That's the kind of person you want to help you out.

Another time, in the same thread no less, I got someone ranting at me about how I sound. I am deaf and thus I sound a bit odd on camera and in voiceover. I told him this and he turned out to be a jerk. A prejudiced jerk. He was summarily banned.

The examples just gives two examples of the kinds of commentators out there. By and large I've been fortunate to have good ones on my work. Friends of mine who are WAY more popular than I am tend to get more trolls. Negative comments can effect you like positive ones can. So it is best to watch out.

After reading anything, I try to comment when I can, I do still come here and read what I can. WHEN I can. Time permitting of course. And half the time I forget to log in. If I were to give feedback, I would give someone an idea of what works and what doesn't work. I would give someone pros and cons of the work. Basically, I would treat the person how I'd like to be treated. It isn't easy posting your own material out there be it a blog, news article, comic, video etc. When ya get negative ones, it's best to have a thick skin. Learned that a very long time ago.

As far as what I like to read, I like long chapter epics. It gives a more sense of adventure out there. Plus they do seem to be in depth. Remember, we're friends with a guy with the longest running Pokemon Colloseum fanfic ever. Jeez. It outlasted both GCN games!

That reminds me, ya I give feedback to friends. In that case, I try to be brutally honest. I usually won't leave feedback if the story doesn't interest me. It just depends on the mood.

As far as reviewing culture goes? Well, this goes back to what I said earlier about videos. Some people want to help. Some people don't and want to be jerks. It's best to find a community where people are willing to help out. Like here. Just ignore the trolls when they come around.

Last edited:

Marika_CZ

Ugh, hopefully I am posting this in the right thread.

So after completing a short story and posting it here and on some other sites qround the internet, it has become clear I will need some beta reading by native speakers next time I want to write in English (not my native language). After getting a review from Negrek, his comments inspired me for a prequel of sorts. It would be about Lillie's journey through Kanto leading to her settling there as a new gym leader (which was mentioned in her cameo in said short story I posted). The project would be larger though (novella sized actually) and would contain some twists and a powerful adversary Lillie would have to confront.

Is there anyone who has enough time (and mood for such a story) to be my beta reader?
I have no idea how busy people here are IRL so perhaps it may be a tall order...

NebulaDreams

A Dense Irritating Miniature Beast of Burden
I feel bad about not reading half of the works on here, especially the ones I liked upon reading the first chapter but never continued, which is down to laziness to my part. I think reader's fatigue plays a part in it as there's so much else there competing for attention that I don't know where to start.

When it comes to my own work, I understand that it takes time for people to catch up to it, especially since the contents of each chapter are so long and densely packed. In the end, I can't force people to review my stuff, so all I can do is continue writing the story I love and promote it in the hopes that someone will chip in a few comments along the way. This is why I prefer doing review trades through sites like Discord and FFN since it's a guarantee that the other person having their work reviewed will reciprocate back, and therefore more of an incentive to put the work in.

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
Heh. I knew this was going to show up here sooner than later and the timing makes this impeccable.

I think this Tumblr post is relevant: what readers and writers know to expect from each other is far from the reality. In general, the very format of the writing-related section in most web forums, not just the ones Pokémon-related, is very out of touch with the reality of writing (it has to, I feel, but that just exacerbates the problem).

For example, there's complains about the "silence", but the problem is there is in general no good avenue for a writer to communicate that yes they are working; most of the time the silence is broken in a forum-adequate way only when new content is finally posted, which can take months at a time. Threads like the ones in the Author's Café help post about writing, but not post on writing. Of course, this follows the nature that during development of a new chapter the writer's interaction is bounded to eg.: their beta reader, but it wouldn't be bad to have that be known in some way forum-wise, I don't think. The point is, lots of "dead time" is seen which is not. It can take months to write a new chapter; it takes only about 15 minutes to consume it.

Regarding the Completed Fics section and any other thread index really, they are very inconvenient to use compared to eg.: AOOO or FF.net -not that that's saying much but that's 2010s web development for you. You can only see the titles of the stories and their post/page count, which is not relevant to progress or update status because story, comments, critiques and reviews are all mixed in the same bag; I've seen a couple of Spanish-community forums try with a newer format where one thread contains the story only and a different tread holds reviews and comments, which TBH I like more for functional reasons and would like to be adopted more widely. Similarly, you can not see summaries which are among the easiest ways to traverse looking for something to read easily when you have in the order of hundreds to thousand of stories to choose from (there's tooltips of the first paragraph or so but that's not indicative and not very navigable, let alone on mobile), there's no tags, and you can not see when the thread author last posted.

There's also being able to leave Likes/Kudos/+1 to a story, a simple and to-the-point means to communicate that at least someone... well, liked something; but among the problems lie that the Likes are given and quantified per-post, without a per-thread option. And I guess for enough people a Like doesn't "count" the same as a review or commentary post, in particular considering there's no option leave a line behind indicating why the Like was given (eg.: "in this chapter my fave character rulez!"). I seem to remember a very old Serebii, or perhaps a sister forum, used to have the option, but from a time to now those have disappeared. One would think the lack of that option would incite people to leave a few lines-worth comment post but I get the feeling that it actually does the opposite because it might combine (badly) with the factor mentioned a few times above where readers believe they are being expected to write a literary critique when all that's expected from them is a comment.

Yes
, a critique, a review and a comment are all different things, require different skills and have different value to a writer. Refusing any one in favor of the other two does the community a disservice because it artificially skews the view of who and why are responding to or consuming a story, which makes it harder to find.

Down the line tho?

All those things only tend to contribute to a deeper issue that is not really a problem but more just a reality of writing:

Writing is a busy activity of its own, reading is also a busy activity of its own even if it produces "faster" results, and their timetables do not intersect nicely. And we writers, at least, are not here on hire.

I'm in a number of communities and sure, I am not actively posting content but I am still writing. That includes planning stage, drafting, etc. Yet I do not really have a means to communicate that in the forums that I'd feel helps keep the community active. Creating a new thread for each research material subject I want to get input on artificially inflates the conversation count and makes relevant conversations harder to find; using a singular thread makes the subforum as a whole look less used and also makes the relevant conversations harder to find. I feel like it's a lose-lose game; man I would love to be corrected on that. More recently I've been more present in the Discord side of some of them communities simply because more discussion on writing tend to take place there, which do mind is its own can of worms that has been subjected to discussion before. Oh and all this? Well, it competes against several other activities and efforts for my spare time and resources. Sad as it is so long as I'm not on the fanfic writing and worldbuilding stuff for hire I can not give it the attention I would like to. Whatever gods are there they know I would love to leave tech and backend support behind.

Speaking of leaving commentary I feel like that is a thing communities in general need to emphasize more on what the baseline is: are we demanding literary critique or academic review on a work, or does simple commentary suffice? Is "I liked it" enough? If not, why do we have a "I liked it" button? Look at what the forum interface instructs the reader to do: when a reader comes to a thread to give some input and they see Alice already covered the plot holes, Bob does the grammar check better than I can and Charlie has been discussing the foreshadowing from 12 chapters ago with the beta reader out in the open, that's already a lot of work taken from under the potential new reviewer's feet, limiting them to "me too" because otherwise we are spawning or continuing conversations in a story's main thread, making it harder for other readers to notice and parse new content to comment on (see what I said above about separation of threads). That's one of the reasons why my comments tend to all have the same structure: I don't (can't, easily) delve in the work other reviewers have already done and instead focus on what I specifically noticed when I gave a simple reading.

We would hope that if we are okay with the simple commentary, we can communicate to readers general that, considering the above, "yeah, I liked that foreshadowing too" is a good and sufficient comment to post too even if it's only six words long. Heck, we need to communicate that the non-meme equivalent of "I liked, write moar" is also valid because if we can't the only tools we have left for them is the Like button, which apparently writers don't want to accept as a valid feedback tool. Else? Our readers will just have to pass from leaving feedback because the gap between "nothing" and "acceptable minimum to speak the basics" is too wide.

tl;dr: we writers need to accept that people consume our work in different ways and respond to that in different ways too, which the site does not necessarily reflect.

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Ugh, hopefully I am posting this in the right thread.

So after completing a short story and posting it here and on some other sites qround the internet, it has become clear I will need some beta reading by native speakers next time I want to write in English (not my native language). After getting a review from Negrek, his comments inspired me for a prequel of sorts. It would be about Lillie's journey through Kanto leading to her settling there as a new gym leader (which was mentioned in her cameo in said short story I posted). The project would be larger though (novella sized actually) and would contain some twists and a powerful adversary Lillie would have to confront.

Is there anyone who has enough time (and mood for such a story) to be my beta reader?
I have no idea how busy people here are IRL so perhaps it may be a tall order...
If you want a beta reader, I think your best bet would be to make a new thread here in the Authors' Cafe asking if anyone is willing to beta your story. Unfortunately I don't think people will see your request in this thread.

It's cool that you were inspired to write a prequel, though, haha. Hope you have fun writing it!

I feel bad about not reading half of the works on here, especially the ones I liked upon reading the first chapter but never continued, which is down to laziness to my part. I think reader's fatigue plays a part in it as there's so much else there competing for attention that I don't know where to start.

When it comes to my own work, I understand that it takes time for people to catch up to it, especially since the contents of each chapter are so long and densely packed. In the end, I can't force people to review my stuff, so all I can do is continue writing the story I love and promote it in the hopes that someone will chip in a few comments along the way. This is why I prefer doing review trades through sites like Discord and FFN since it's a guarantee that the other person having their work reviewed will reciprocate back, and therefore more of an incentive to put the work in.
FWIW we do have a "review trade" sort of a system in the form of the Review Game. It's been a while since anyone's used it, but you're allowed to bump it any time, so if you review Chlobo's fic you'll be next in line for feedback! (I'm going to bump that really soon if no one else does; been meaning to forever.)

In the past we also had different kinds of review exchange threads, where people would basically agree to do their own review trades. Would people be interested in bringing that sort of thing back?