• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

This Didn't Turn Out The Way I Thought It Would...

Moog2

Must stay awake...
Hey, viewers of this thread. I made my first competitive team almost a year ago, and by now it seems slightly obselete. So I decided to start from scratch and make a new one, and I was hoping for opinions on how I did. As for the title, well, this started as a gimmick Flying team one of my friends thought I should make. Then it changed into something more... feasible, and this is the result.

NOTES: Yeah, I'm using SkarmBliss. Never tried it before, and it's annoyed the bejeebers out of me on many an occasion. I was won over. :D

This is for Wifi Random Matchup in B/W, and as such doesn't follow standard OU rules. Hope that doesn't turn anyone away.

Without futher ado, the team.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Sturdy
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spe
Impish
Roost
Drill Peck
Taunt
Spikes

This is, unsurprisingly, my physical wall. It has, unsurprisingly, great synergy with Blissey (up next), and is unsurprisingly going to be doing a bit of entry hazard set up. I prefer Taunt over Roar as in my experience Roaring Spikes isn't too effective, and Taunt removes one of my teams bigger checks; Wall Jellicent. I detest those with a passion. I don't like Brave Birds's recoil without Leftovers, but I'm open to using it over Drill Peck if people think it's a good idea. My sweepers aren't great defensively, so a physical wall is totally necessary, and like I said in the intro, I wanted to try out SkarmBliss.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
252 HP, 208 Sp. Def, 44 Spe
Calm
Toxic
Seismic Toss
Softboiled
Aromatherapy

Ah, Skarmory's other half. First, let me explain the EVs; 44 Speed EVs allow Blissey to outspeed 0 EV Jellicent, letting it Toxic Jellicent before a Taunt comes my way. If it looks like I'm obsessing over on thing, well, I'm always open to change. Blissey is a terrific special wall, blah blah blah, you've heard this before. Armomatherapy cures status, which can ruin quite a number of my Pokemon and their sweeping/ walling potential. Seismic Toss is a move that guarantees damage, except on Ghost types. Softboiled is really necessary, extending the lifespan of my pudgy pink puffball.

Salamence @ Fire Gem
Moxie
4HP, 252 Att, 252 Spe
Lonely
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Outrage
Fire Blast
Salamence is one of the best physical sweepers I've ever seen, and I figured I should use it on my original gimmick flying team. I liked it so much I decided to keep it, with a nearly standard moveset. Actually, very standard. Dragon Claw is consistent and reliable, while Outrage is used when I need the extra power boost. Earthquake provides good coverage and is powerful in its own right, a staple on most Salamence. I've got a lot riding on Fire Blast; Lonely lowers defense, not special attack, so it doesn't get hurt there. The Fire Gem, while rather unorthodox, gives Fire Blast a bit more extra oomph. With it Salamence is not only a sweeper, but a lure/ counter for Steel types. Plus, I gave the Life Orb to Latios. :D

Latios @ Expert Belt
Levitate
4 HP, 252 Sp. Att, 252 Spe
Modest/ Timid
Surf
Dragon Pulse
Hidden Power Fighting (if I can manage it :p)
Ice Beam/ Thunderbolt

First, the nature dillemma. That's spelt wrong, I know it :p. I can't decide between the extra power or the extra speed, so some input there would be appreciated. Surf provides amazing coverage and a very strong move, helping to really dent some of Skarmory's weaknesses, among others. Dragon Pulse is STAB and strong, as Draco Meteor's recoil turns me away. Hidden Power Fighting is easily able to be replaced with either Thunderbolt or something better, open to suggestions. I have a strong Fighting type move in Blaziken, which serves to do more damage to Tyranitar anyway (like, a lot more).

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Speed Boost
4 HP, 252 Att, 252 Spe
Adamant
Protect
High Jump Kick
Flare Blitz
Brave Bird

This should all be pretty obvious. Blaziken is not designed to live long, with all of its moves save Protect causing some sort of recoil. Granted the matches are three-on-three, so that isn't much of a problem. Protect is to net one Speed Boost, which makes up for the nature and allows for an outspeed of many things. High Jump Kick is rediculously powerful coming off of a STAB, and does huge damage to... well, lots of stuff. The Tyranitar one-shot is huge, as I really hate those. Flare Blitz is also STAB, damaging another large chunk of my opponents. Brave Bird is a fighting type counter, the only one I have unless people think a Psychich type on Latios is a good idea. Well, it might be, actually. But I digress.

Gyarados @ Focus Sash
Moxie
4 HP, 252 Att, 252 Spe
Adamant/ Jolly
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Dragon Dance

Dragon Dance/ Focus Sash is severly underrated on Gyarados in my opinion. I never see anyone use it, but I love it. As long as it gets in prior to Stealth Rock, it should work. The guaranteed survival always allows for the DDance, which really powers him up. Waterfall is STAB and really powers through a lot of stuff. Earthquake, while quite strange on a Gyarados, does lots of damage and provides nice coverage. Ice Fang is for Dragon types alone, and make a better option than Double Edge, which often ends badly with the Focus Sash. I have another nature dillemma (still selt wrong) here, so I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks for reading!

Electrolled

I'd say watch out for Rotom W. It'll wall Gyrados, and Blissey's the only thing that can stop it. Running HP Ice, It'll have a pseudo Bolt-Beam, allowing it to take out anything after Blissey's down. And it's got one grass type weakness, which you lack on this team. Do whatever you deem fit, because it could be running a Choice Scarf. And with Rotom W, there's Politoed. And with Politoed, there's a good chance of Tornadus. With Superpower, Chansey'll be 2KOed. Or any strong Physical Fighting type. So, a Physical Fighting move with Rotom W will take huge dents out of your team. I can't think of anything else though.

Moog2

Must stay awake...
I've actually been rather concerned about my lack of grass moves, but due to Swampert, not Rotom W. Man, I've been out of the game too long.

Bulky waters in general seem to wall my team nicely, as I mentioned in Jellicent. The genies all fall (hopefully) to Latios' Ice Beam, so I ruled them out. Looking back, though... I'm not sure. Thunderbolt on Latios was also my Rotom W counter, but I'm not going to kid myself; Latios would be out from HP Ice, and there's very little else to stand in the way.

Very appreciative of the quick response. I'll mull things over a bit, and see what I come up with.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
let me say that blaziken is uber. because of speed boost, he was sent to ubers, so you can't use him.

i know what you said, but you need to use whirlwind on skarm, and replace drill peck with brave bird.

give salamence a choice scarf, and replace dragon claw with crunch or something.

if you do not replace bliss's special defense values with defense values, you ruin blissey and gimp your team. keep that in mind. use wish over softboiled, and protect over atromatherapy, as blissey is better as a wishpasser then chansey, who you should run if you are looking for a cleric.

Moog2

Must stay awake...
A few things in response to Ghots of the Forums;

One, I'm fully aware tha Blaziken is in Ubers. As I said this is for Random Matchup, so tiers don't come into play. The number of Blazikens and Garchomps running around is staggering, and I'm not going to be putting myself at a disadvantage.

Second, I'll not be using Whirlwind on Skarm, as I've used it before an don't it too useful when the opponent only has three things. Taunt is my preference, and I doubt it'll be changed.

Scarfed Mence is a terror until it Skarmory switches in on a locked one. It Stealth Rocks on the switch, and Salamence lifespan is thereby shortened. So I'll be staying away from Choice items this time.

I like the idea of Def. EVs on Blissey, and originally it was Bold with 252 of them. But I found that I was never willing to leave it in on any physical moves anyway, just in case, so the EVs became useless and I changed them as a result. Also, I totally agree that Wish + Protect would be perfect. However, the amount of Wish Chanseys, let alone decent ones, is so lot that it's impossible to get a legit one. So that really isn't an option.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the input. Always will. :D

Oh, and in response to Digletto's point, I'm thinking of a Draco Meteor/ White Herb on Latios. I'll put the calcs up later, but it's guaranteed a 2HKO, and can take a suffienct amount of HP Ice. The only danger from Rotom W would them be Scarf Shadow Ball, but I've never seen it used before, so I'm not worried.