1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

This Gen's new gimmick.

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Sarefan, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Sarefan

Sarefan Hylden General.

Since I could not find a thread about this I wanted to make one. Do you think that a new gimmick will be introducted to this game? Last 2 gens gave us Mega Evolution and Z Moves. Both were a bit spoiled into the Japanese logo's. But this Gen doesn't seem to mark anything special, just a Pokéball. (picture below) Will this tie into the special Stadiums that we can see scattered around the region as a more tournament driven region? Or is it something else?

[​IMG]

JLK2707 likes this.
  2. ShadowForce720

ShadowForce720 Well-Known Member

interesting thing to note is that pokeball in the logos with the markings in it seem to have some relation to the gyms considering the fact that from what we've seen of the entrance to what appears to be the Grass type gym it had that marking on the doors and then also when your character is walking into to what seems to be a field in a stadium you see that same pokeball on the jersey he is wearing. So it the pokeball in the logos with the markings in it could wind up meaning that while gyms are returning they are going to be different this time around as to opposed to how they were handled before.

JLK2707 likes this.
  3. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

Pretty much.

4. Ultra Beast Lover

Ultra Beast Lover Well-Known Member

It have something to do with Gyms. When's the gimmick usually revealed?

5. ebevan91

ebevan91 Well-Known Member

I did a Youtube search for trailers and Mega Evolutions were revealed in August and so were Z-moves. August 3rd for megas and August 1st for Z-moves, unless I have it backwards.

6. Ultra Beast Lover

Ultra Beast Lover Well-Known Member

Really? Thought it was much earlier. I guess time just flies really fast.

7. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

The original thread was here, but since we have the Japanese titles it is rather outdated.

But yes, it seems to focus on gyms. Most people assume it is going to be an audience encore, similar to contests, where your Pokémon will get stat buffs depending on your performance. Effectively it seems like a better Wonder Launcher. This will probably carry over Wi-Fi battles as well.

Redstar45 likes this.
  8. ShadowForce720

Just pointing this out your right about the date for Z-move be revealed on August 1st but however when it comes to Mega Evolution they were revealed on August 8th, however that is still in August and not necessarily that far way from August 3rd.

9. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Samayo Kiri, Keeper of the Gates Ethereal

Ah, but the DNA looking symbols for Mega Evolution were revealed with the titles. Also, the Mewtwo movie is what really revealed it.

Trainer Yusuf likes this.
  10. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

You guys seem to be missing the picture. I thought this was obvious but it doesn't look like it lol. Well okay. So here's the thing. Gym stat buffs are good and all but what I'm expecting is something that will not only impact Pokemon battles of the story but also the online multiplayer.

Gens 1 to 4 are generations that focused on mainly perfecting the deeply flawed and experimental battle system, taking four generations to perfect it. I personally call this the Battle Balance Generations!

Gens 5 and up however had no need to fix something that isn't broke so instead of changing anything major about the battle system, they added new variables through the Pokemon itself. I call this the Pokemon Balance Generations! These generations focus on largely giving upgrades to the Pokemon, not to the battle system. Gen 5, hidden abilities. Gen 6, Mega Evolution. Gen 7, Z-moves! Gen 8, who knows?

11. Miar

Miar I got one right!

Three circles spinning around a Poke Ball. Rotation Battles are back!

Or alternatively, consider the Soc-I mean, Football field gyms.
    Team Sports. Lots of Pokemon out at once, maybe?
    I'd love to see a pair-up or combo attack mechanic. After all, the TCG has Tag GX's now and they're a hit.

12. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Samayo Kiri, Keeper of the Gates Ethereal

Pokemon Conquest style battles except each Pokemon has 4 moves and in 3D?

13. Arthropoda

Arthropoda Active Member

Can we not have some weird gimmick? Can we just have a couple new Megas (I don't really like Megas but different strokes for different folks) and some nice non gen 1 Regional Variants?

14. DSDark

DSDark Breeder

No gimmick

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  15. paipr_christian

paipr_christian grass type fan.

This erks me every time I've read it..... That's not a leaf it's a feather. It's a flying gym.

16. Avatar of Shibby

That right there is what I want, just more variants. That was my favorite addition from Sun & Moon.

silentspaceman likes this.
  17. ShadowForce720

no, I'm pretty sure that's a leaf considering it's Green in color, and while there are green feathers I'm pretty sure if they were trying to depict a feather for a flying type gym they wouldn't have use green but would have instead use more of a light blue to avoid confusion.

18. CMButch

CMButch Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

I'd say that those circles spinning around " Pokeball" is a new gimmick. Red side is shield which is a defense and blue side is a sword which is an offense, circle spinning would mean you get to choose offense or defense per turn.As of what offense or defense mean, I have no idea. It could mead defense/attack stats boosted, maybe new evolution ( like Offense or Defense evolution) like Mega is.

19. NeoDude-5000

NeoDude-5000 Well-Known Member

No gimmicks, no armour evolution, just keep things how they are for now

janejane6178 likes this.
  20. keithpetrosky

keithpetrosky Well-Known Member

Fusing certain Pokémon together would be something unique