• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

This Gen's new gimmick.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Turn limits definitely decrease the effect it'll have. Protect will too, with Protect you could theoretically already stall out two of the three turns. In doubles Fake Out is also going to strip away the turns. And I believe Roar simply switches the dynamaxed pokémon out and cancels the dynamax altogether.

At least in the gyms and raids, I don't see the roar thing working, in raids there's only one pokemon and in the game we've seen so far, the gym leaders dynamax their mains which seem to be the last pokemon. I'm not really sure to what extent dynamax will be a thing in online battles so it could be a thing there.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
At least in the gyms and raids, I don't see the roar thing working, in raids there's only one pokemon and in the game we've seen so far, the gym leaders dynamax their mains which seem to be the last pokemon. I'm not really sure to what extent dynamax will be a thing in online battles so it could be a thing there.
He was specifically talking about competitive impact. Gym leaders are super easy anyway, not much to break there. Raid difficulty will probably depend more on whether or not your teammates have a remote clue what they're doing, but ultimately it's just catching pokémon and that's not going to be hard anyway.

I'll be real here. Dynamaxed state is lost when switching, which gives it weaknesses. If gym leaders only use it on their last pokemon you can just debuff them until they can't do anything. You can hit them with a Perish Song or Leech Seed or whatever. I can hardly imagine it being as hard as a 2v1 totem battle

Last edited:
PokéJungle are no strangers to using questionable sources, but this recent article highlights a Tweet with images that suggest Dynamaxing only increases a Pokémon's HP (instead of every stat). In screenshots of the SwSh demo, we can see that Corviknight's HP increases from 177 -> 265 after Dynamaxing, while its other stats appear to stay exactly the same.

It's possible that the boosts to other stats simply aren't viewable, or "Dynamax Level" may affect this in some way.

Last edited:

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
PokéJungle are no strangers to using questionable sources, but this recent article highlights a Tweet with images that suggest Dynamaxing only increases a Pokémon's HP (instead of every stat). In screenshots of the SwSh demo, we can see that Corviknight's HP increases from 177 -> 265 after Dynamaxing, while its other stats appear to stay exactly the same.

It's possible that the boosts to other stats simply aren't viewable, or "Dynamax Level" may affect this in some way.

I noticed that too. I think that Dynamax level increases every time you dynamax that pokemon and more stats boosts are unlocked for that pokemon once the dynamax level reaches certain milestones.

CHETTHEFAN

I am wondering about something regarding the raid battles for this gen. If you need internet in order to access the battles with 3 other players, what happens if someone disconnects off the internet in the middle of the fight??? not only that but with no planned voice function during multiplayer events, how will dynamaxing be handled during these events? will people be toxic and disconnect and ruin it for everyone if they don't get to be the one to use the feature? soooo many questions

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I am wondering about something regarding the raid battles for this gen. If you need internet in order to access the battles with 3 other players, what happens if someone disconnects off the internet in the middle of the fight??? not only that but with no planned voice function during multiplayer events, how will dynamaxing be handled during these events? will people be toxic and disconnect and ruin it for everyone if they don't get to be the one to use the feature? soooo many questions
That's a very good question. I'd hope that they won't be punished for it (if it's something out of their control). On the other hand, if someone is being a jerk, I'd hope that there's a way to report them.

Jerimiyah

Banned
I like Max Raid Battles as a concept, but since GF might remove them in the next generation it's kind of hard to get attached to new features. I think the Dynamax thing has potential, but I wish this generation had some kind of form difference gimmick like Alola did.

CHETTHEFAN

this game has just given so many questions instead of answers. No lie if I'm playing and trying to catch a raid boss that may take hours to find(my guess different encounter rates etc etc ), I would be super peeved if someone decided to disconnect on purpose to make everyone else's lives harder. Or what if someone uses explosion and wipes out the whole team trying to be funny? to be honest, the whole raid thing has me super skeptical on how GameFreak plans on going through with the mechanics. Lets just hope they have a report function or something like a list of banned moves for example (no explosion moves, etc etc).

now if they disconnect more than once a day, then I hope they would do soft bans from online activities like they do in ultra sun and moon. They hopefully will implement just a removal of one player from the team and allow the rest to still fight the raid.

one final point, could you just imagine getting a super rare raid boss like in some mmos(1 percent spawn rate) then just having it poof away all because someone is using a toaster as a wifi router

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
this game has just given so many questions instead of answers. No lie if I'm playing and trying to catch a raid boss that may take hours to find(my guess different encounter rates etc etc ), I would be super peeved if someone decided to disconnect on purpose to make everyone else's lives harder. Or what if someone uses explosion and wipes out the whole team trying to be funny? to be honest, the whole raid thing has me super skeptical on how GameFreak plans on going through with the mechanics. Lets just hope they have a report function or something like a list of banned moves for example (no explosion moves, etc etc).
Yea that would be frustrating. That said, they do have a set up in case you aren't able to find people. You can take them on with 3 other CPU players.

Ultra Beast Lover

Yeah that's why I don't like multiplayer much, people get so silly over not getting to do something. I just hope CPUs don't get to Dynamax, it worries me when Pokemon gives AI power because the AI tends to not be very good.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
So anyone want to speculate on the effects the unknown Max Moves may have?

Ice is easy, it'll cause Hail. Psychic will little doubt cause Psychic Terrain, but the remaining ones are a bit more uncertain. For one thing, its unclear if any max moves will effect the user or the target's attacking stats. We can be pretty sure though I think that we will get reverses of the existing raise/lower stat moves that we do have, just as we have one Max Move that raises your Speed, and other that lowers the opponent's Speed.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
So anyone want to speculate on the effects the unknown Max Moves may have?

Ice is easy, it'll cause Hail. Psychic will little doubt cause Psychic Terrain, but the remaining ones are a bit more uncertain. For one thing, its unclear if any max moves will effect the user or the target's attacking stats. We can be pretty sure though I think that we will get reverses of the existing raise/lower stat moves that we do have, just as we have one Max Move that raises your Speed, and other that lowers the opponent's Speed.

I guess the Fighting one might raise Attack.

I'm really inteteseted for the Bug and Dragon ones, to be honest.
Maybe Dragon raises Soecial Attack and Bug drops the Attack?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
If it really is only one effect per type I'm not a huge fan to be honest. I think it'd bring back a problem that was essentially gone since the physical/special split in gen 4, namely that being either physically or specially oriented would give a significant advantage or disadvantage depending on your type. For example, if you'd Dynamax a Tyranitar and it could use Max Darkness, that lowers special defence of the target. There's little use of that for Tyranitar, as Tyranitar usually attacks with physical moves. Tyranitar would also be able to use Max Rockfall, which sets up sandstorm when used, and Tyranitar also has little use of that seeing as it already sets up sandstorm with its ability.

Simply put, Dark types that are physically oriented like Absol, Weavile, Tyranitar, Bisharp, Mightyena, Scrafty, Incineroar, and so on would benefit far less from dynamaxing than Dark types that are specially oriented like Houndoom, Greninja, Darkrai, Hydreigon, or Yveltal.

Luthor

The base power of Max moves Spark will turn into Max Lightning with 120 Base Power while Wild Charge turns into Max Lightning with 130 Base Power according to the main serebii page. This is interesting if you compare to Z-Moves. In those Spark became a Z-Move with 120 Base power as well but Wild Charge became a Z-Move with base power of 175. So there seems to be a difference on how base power is calculated.