• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

This Gen's new gimmick.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jerimiyah said:
but I wish this generation had some kind of form difference gimmick like Alola did.

I expect that that might still be a thing in Shield and Sword and it simply hasn't been revealed yet. What with Game Freak's tendency to pander to Gen I nostalgia, I wouldn't be surprised if they introduce some new variant of Kanto Pokemon in these games just so that they can keep milking Gen I.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Dynamaxing is very underwhelming as a main gimmick, and I'm not too fond of it because it essentially killed Mega Evolutions for this generation.
I don't think blaming it specifically is accurate. Various interviews seem to make it clear that they want to introduce new sorts of power ups each generation as "surprises" rather than add to the previous generation's power ups. Even if we didn't get Dynamax, it seems unlikely we would have gotten more megas.

SoulRebel726

this game has just given so many questions instead of answers. No lie if I'm playing and trying to catch a raid boss that may take hours to find(my guess different encounter rates etc etc ), I would be super peeved if someone decided to disconnect on purpose to make everyone else's lives harder. Or what if someone uses explosion and wipes out the whole team trying to be funny? to be honest, the whole raid thing has me super skeptical on how GameFreak plans on going through with the mechanics. Lets just hope they have a report function or something like a list of banned moves for example (no explosion moves, etc etc).

Definitely some legit concerns. I fully plan on playing with the bots, personally. I generally have very little interest teaming up with nameless strangers in games and prefer to either play by myself or with people I know. Mostly for reasons like that. Not only will I not have to worry about trolls, but I will probably appreciate the added challenge in playing with the (probably) less competent bots.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
If it really is only one effect per type I'm not a huge fan to be honest. I think it'd bring back a problem that was essentially gone since the physical/special split in gen 4, namely that being either physically or specially oriented would give a significant advantage or disadvantage depending on your type. For example, if you'd Dynamax a Tyranitar and it could use Max Darkness, that lowers special defence of the target. There's little use of that for Tyranitar, as Tyranitar usually attacks with physical moves. Tyranitar would also be able to use Max Rockfall, which sets up sandstorm when used, and Tyranitar also has little use of that seeing as it already sets up sandstorm with its ability.

Simply put, Dark types that are physically oriented like Absol, Weavile, Tyranitar, Bisharp, Mightyena, Scrafty, Incineroar, and so on would benefit far less from dynamaxing than Dark types that are specially oriented like Houndoom, Greninja, Darkrai, Hydreigon, or Yveltal.

They could put in a different effect depending if the move is a physical move or a special move.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
They could put in a different effect depending if the move is a physical move or a special move.
Sadly from what was seem in the demo footage posted recently the Dynamax version of Crunch still seems has the blanket Sp. Def lowering effect of Max Darkness (despite retaining it being a physical move).

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
We have yet to see the Max Moves for the Bug, Poison, Psychic, Ghost, Ground, Ice, and Dragon types.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Sadly from what was seem in the demo footage posted recently the Dynamax version of Crunch still seems has the blanket Sp. Def lowering effect of Max Darkness (despite retaining it being a physical move).

Ah. Well still I wouldn't say it was useless. For instance, say Tyranitar knows Dark Pulse, you can use the physical max move to lower the special defense and then attack with the special version of the move. Or you could even just use three of the Dark Pulse max move which will lower the special defense each turn causing the move to do more damage each turn.

Or if you are battling a pokemon with a high defense and a really bad special defense.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Ah. Well still I wouldn't say it was useless. For instance, say Tyranitar knows Dark Pulse, you can use the physical max move to lower the special defense and then attack with the special version of the move. Or you could even just use three of the Dark Pulse max move which will lower the special defense each turn causing the move to do more damage each turn.

Or if you are battling a pokemon with a high defense and a really bad special defense.
Think another user said that the blanket effect of Max Darkness is not going to be very useful for the Dark-types whose stat line heavily favours their Attack stat (e.g: Weavile), they are not the Pokemon that could feasibly run special moves to exploit the effects on the move.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I'm pretty sure for most pokemon the sheer power of the Max moves will usually be more important than lowering a foe's defenses. They may not be as strong as some Z-moves, but I think most foes won't be able to take more than a few neutral hits.

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
We have yet to see the Max Moves for the Bug, Poison, Psychic, Ghost, Ground, Ice, and Dragon types.

As for the effects. I think that Max Psychic will obviously create Psychic terrain and Ice will cause hail. The others will probably have stat altering effects.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pokemon Fan said:
Various interviews seem to make it clear that they want to introduce new sorts of power ups each generation as "surprises" rather than add to the previous generation's power ups.

It's rather odd for Game Freak to think that Dynamax counts as something completely new when it's essentially just an amalgam of a standard form change and Z-Moves in the sense that Dynamax involves the temporary transformation of a Pokemon's form, an increase in their stats, and an upgrade of their attacks.

DannyDark

It's unfortunate but it does seem that my main gripe with Z-Moves, there being no difference of animation of the attack between Physical and Special, is carried on with Max Moves. And yeah, typings whose boost can't be super efficiently used by ATK or SpATK-focused Pokemon is unfortunate also.

Hanto

Water Addiction
I guess Max Bug Move additional effect could be a Sticky Web or it just lowers opponents Special Attack (like Struggle Bug does)

Luthor

I'm curious to see what effects the other status max moves have. We know normal status moves become Max Guard which is similar to protect, but so far the others haven't been revealed as far as I know. I think that will have a big influence on the status moves that get used this gen unless all status have the same effect.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm curious to see what effects the other status max moves have. We know normal status moves become Max Guard which is similar to protect, but so far the others haven't been revealed as far as I know. I think that will have a big influence on the status moves that get used this gen unless all status have the same effect.
I thought that it was confirmed that all status moves become Max Guard.