• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

This Gen's new gimmick.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I’m curious to see how rare gigantamax capable Pokémon are. Also, is the ability to gigantamax breedable (or at least obtainable by breeding)? I hope so, that way I can have a perfect Gigantamax-capable Corviknight and Drednaw
They say on the website they're rare, so I'm expecting them to be about as rare as shinies.

dss_live

Water and Fairy-type master
They say on the website they're rare, so I'm expecting them to be about as rare as shinies.

I think they'll be more available than shinies. Shinies have no effect on gameplay and are more just a trophy. While gigantamax offers a combat mechanic. So i doubt they'd have the same rarity.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
I hope they aren’t as rare as shinies. I don’t want them to be easy to find but shiny rare? That’s a little much. I also wonder if everyone gets a gigantamax capable mon from a max raid. Like let’s say me and three others do a max raid for Drednaw, and I end up with a gigantamax capable one. Will they all have one as well? I guess I’m kind of looking at it like Pokémon Go. How a Pokémon may be shiny for me but not for someone else even though we participated in the same raid.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
If Aegislash does end up in the Galar Pokédex, I’m kind of hoping it’ll have version exclusive Gigantamax forms (similar to Mewtwo & Charizard’s mega evolutions).

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
That will definitely not be the case, as long as the post wasn't sarcastic.

Gigantamax is a mainline feature just like Dynamax with slight difference you'll grind in Max Raid Battles to get the desired one. We won't be spending our days and nights to obtain all G-Max forms of Pokémon as if we're on a shiny-hunt. I'm seeing more of a 1/20-30 chance of getting one in each session of Raids.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian

Gigantamax is a mainline feature just like Dynamax with slight difference you'll grind in Max Raid Battles to get the desired one. We won't be spending our days and nights to obtain all G-Max forms of Pokémon as if we're on a shiny-hunt. I'm seeing more of a 1/20-30 chance of getting one in each session of Raids.
Even at a 1 in 30 rate it would take days if not weeks to find the one you want. You have to wait for the right weather first because the spawns are weather-dependent, which could take several days of checking in a couple of times a day, then hope you'll find that species you want, and once you find that, hope it's one that can gigantamax, and then hope that the CPU partners don't suck like they do in the battle agency (although perhaps the raid battles would be so easy you could just solo them without any trouble). Given GameFreak's history at how difficult and frustrating they can make certain pokémon spawns (like Munchlax in Sinnoh, Feebas in gen 3, or more recently Regenerator Mareanie in Alola), assuming that the most broken and overpowered pokémon to ever be introduced in the history of the franchise will be trivial to find and catch is a bit of an assumption.

For shinies you can just hatch dozens of eggs quickly in a row. Raid battles are not nearly as easy to farm in large numbers due to the weather dependency.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

I kind of like how Gigantamax Pokémon are only obtainable through max raids. It makes obtaining them feel more rewarding than the previous gimmicks did, it adds a unique level of difficulty to the games that’s not too unbearable, & it forces you to try out the other features of the game.

The only thing I’m hoping for at this point is that some pokémon like Drednaw or Alcremie will still have evolutions with their own unique skills/abilities that makes them just as good as the Gigantamax forms. It could keep gigantamaxing from completely becoming mega evolution 2.0 since it could lead to more options & variety for the metagame rather than having everyone & their Aunt Trixie having a Gigantamax pokémon to counter his/her/their Gigantamax pokémon

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
I kind of like how Gigantamax Pokémon are only obtainable through max raids. It makes obtaining them feel more rewarding than the previous gimmicks did, it adds a unique level of difficulty to the games that’s not too unbearable, & it forces you to try out the other features of the game.

Though it does make obtaining a competitive-viable one a big hassle. One of the trainers will have bring along a Synchroniser with the right nature and if it fails on you everything would essentially be for naught unless it gets confirmed natures can be changed. At least with IVs and Abilities there is still a way of fixing them (unless the Gigantamax-able needs its HA to function well).

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Even at a 1 in 30 rate it would take days if not weeks to find the one you want. You have to wait for the right weather first because the spawns are weather-dependent, which could take several days of checking in a couple of times a day, then hope you'll find that species you want, and once you find that, hope it's one that can gigantamax, and then hope that the CPU partners don't suck like they do in the battle agency (although perhaps the raid battles would be so easy you could just solo them without any trouble). Given GameFreak's history at how difficult and frustrating they can make certain pokémon spawns (like Munchlax in Sinnoh, Feebas in gen 3, or more recently Regenerator Mareanie in Alola), assuming that the most broken and overpowered pokémon to ever be introduced in the history of the franchise will be trivial to find and catch is a bit of an assumption.

For shinies you can just hatch dozens of eggs quickly in a row. Raid battles are not nearly as easy to farm in large numbers due to the weather dependency.
We don't have much information on hand to discuss how the weather system will affect the duration of Pokémon's appearance in raid battles or make it tougher to collect the one you desired. I'm assuming the process won't be tedious as it looks at E3 Demo once you get to the post-game and at higher levels.

The only thing I’m hoping for at this point is that some pokémon like Drednaw or Alcremie will still have evolutions with their own unique skills/abilities that makes them just as good as the Gigantamax forms. It could keep gigantamaxing from completely becoming mega evolution 2.0 since it could lead to more options & variety for the metagame rather than having everyone & their Aunt Trixie having a Gigantamax pokémon to counter his/her/their Gigantamax pokémon

Have to say I'm fully convinced Drednaw and Alcremie are either standalone or the last stages of their respective families. Can't see the possibility of GameFreak creating a new design specifically for a mid-stage Pokémon. That said, don't be surprised to see Pikachu, Meowth and Eevee to get their own ones for the sake of marketing and anime purposes, though.

Mudster

Master of the Legend
I'm interested to see how this gen plays out with the gimmick. We're expecting Sinnoh remakes - and so far the marketing has said that Dynamaxing and the related Gigantamaxing phenomenon are exclusive to the Galar region. It would be really interesting to see if at some point by the end of gen VIII if the mega evo and Z-move mechanics return alongside this. Gen VII did this gradually - not all megas were available to start with. I envisage that by the time gen VIII is complete, all the existing Pokémon and their respective gimmicks will return in some form. And besides...who wouldn't want to see the inevitable Gigantamax Charizard face off against it's Mega Evolutions - or likewise see a Gigantamax Pikachu face a Pikanium Z equipped Z-move? Recent artwork choices for Pokémon Masters convinces me (personally) that they're not forgetting anyone or any gimmick - but perhaps just limited by certain timescales for now.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I still think that certain pokemon like Alcremie and Drednaw getting Gigantamax forms was so that if you choose to keep them unevolved, they could still be viable.

Alcremie doesn't look like a final evolved pokemon and similarly Drednaw gives me the same feel. Perhaps some people won't like the design of the evolved forms so they are giving the option of keeping the base forms.

It's like how Eviolite makes unevolved pokemon sturdier so they don't get wrecked by evolved pokemon.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
assuming that the most broken and overpowered pokémon to ever be introduced in the history of the franchise will be trivial to find and catch is a bit of an assumption.
Thinking that they're "the most broken and overpowered pokemon to ever be introduced" is also quite a bit of an assumption though, given that thus far (as far as I know) the only confirmed difference with the gigantamax forms is their appearance and a single unique attack linked to the type of one of their moves.

Baggie_Saiyan

I am already exhausted on the gimmick it was super cool at first but the more we have seen the less enthused about it I get, I mean it doesn't really feel like Pokemon. I didn't like the original idea of Mega's too but this just feels so far removed.

They have essentially replaced Mega's with the Gigantamaxing and Z moves with the G Max moves...which begs the question why not continue them for this gen. Personally speaking competitive Pokemon should never be at the forefront of any decision so if this is some sort of balancing issue the hell with that.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
They have essentially replaced Mega's with the Gigantamaxing and Z moves with the G Max moves...which begs the question why not continue them for this gen.
For Z-moves at least the reasoning could be that they are deeply connected with the lore and culture of Alola. I mean did we really want every region to have our character suddenly performing dances from a exotic region that has nothing to do with anything in the current region? Hence the argument that their new policy will be to have features for particular regions and leave them behind when they don't fit for another region.

That said, megas I think can fit anywhere, especially since Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire got rid of the idea that they were only Kalos phenomenon.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
They have essentially replaced Mega's with the Gigantamaxing and Z moves with the G Max moves...which begs the question why not continue them for this gen.
Most likely because Dynamaxing doesn't require Hold Items and should be easier on that. In fact, Dynamaxing actually makes teams much less predictable than someone VERY obviously bringing a Mawile for one reason alone.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Baggie_Saiyan said:
I am already exhausted on the gimmick it was super cool at first but the more we have seen the less enthused about it I get, I mean it doesn't really feel like Pokemon. I didn't like the original idea of Mega's too but this just feels so far removed.

What I dislike about the feature is that it's almost exactly like Mega Evolution, just with a different name. It also reminds me of Z-Moves since the powered-up Pokemon get upgraded attacks when they become giants. It's just not a very original concept overall.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I liked mega evolution and I really like gigantamaxing! I hope that they're gonna use mega evolution models as gigantamaxing forms, as an easy way to provide more gigantamax forms.
Wouldn't that be way too confusing to have the gigantamaxed form look just like a mega form? Not to mention just being a big middle finger to people that actually want mega evolutions to be there and with how they play to have a big balloon ripoff of them instead? I mean, gigantamaxing already is, but making the forms look exactly the same would make it just that much more blatant.