• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

This Gen's new gimmick.

Orphalesion

That's kinda what I meant. But yeah I can see it being that, which would be a bummer. Prob the biggest desire I have for battles is more animations. Like we need a victory one for when they faint an opponent. And I'd like to see a new one for status ailment, instead of just a slow down of the current animation.

But adding in an attack stance animation and a defense stance animation would be awesome as well.

Yeah more battle animations for all Pokemon would be nice. Especially if we got a "flying" and a "standing/sitting" idle animations for the various flying types.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Yeah more battle animations for all Pokemon would be nice. Especially if we got a "flying" and a "standing/sitting" idle animations for the various flying types.

Which correct me if I'm wrong, the not flying ones tend to only be used in Amie and Refresh. Heck Greninja has a different Amie stance than in battle.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
U think U are smart? GTFO
everybody knows what that is and up until now pokemon games were not named after dumb weaponry
Stop acting like you know something when you don't
Up until Sun/Moon games weren't named after dumb spacial bodies either. Up until X and Y games weren't named after dumb letters. Up until Ruby/Sapphire they weren't named after dumb gemstones.

Your argument holds no water and the person you're responding to is correct; you don't seem to understand what objective means given what you're saying is objective is actually inherently subjective. If you're gonna have a cocky attitude with someone, at least make sure you're right first.

JLK2707

Since I could not find a thread about this I wanted to make one. Do you think that a new gimmick will be introducted to this game? Last 2 gens gave us Mega Evolution and Z Moves. Both were a bit spoiled into the Japanese logo's. But this Gen doesn't seem to mark anything special, just a Pokéball. (picture below) Will this tie into the special Stadiums that we can see scattered around the region as a more tournament driven region? Or is it something else?

pokemon-swordshield-logo-japanese-BANNER.jpg
Yeah.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Agreed. Adding a third battle gimmick to those two would really muddy things up I think.
And, it would also create extra complexity, especially for players who got into the franchise through LGPE. If they don't own any of the past Nintendo handhelds, this would be their first exposure to traditional Pokemon gameplay, and "Spirit Armor" might be too complex for them to handle.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I'm thinking so too, and I also don't want there to be another major battle gimmick too soon after Megas and Z-Moves.

Specially if ZMoves end up like M.Evos and just pushed to the post game.

It's kinda frustrating that they did that with M.Evos, and I could see them doing it with ZMoves, specially if another gimmick is added.

Let's keep it at M.Evos and ZMoves for now, refine both if need be. That said GF if you do feel the need to shake things up in some ways, please don't lock it behind another chunk of held items. (Possibly part of why I like the idea of battle stances being the new gimmick.

Ultra Beast Lover

I think we're good on battle gimmicks, I can maybe see one more battle gimmick but we're kind of running the risk of having too much spice in one soup or however the saying goes.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
If there's going to be a new "battle gimmick" this generation I'd rather see an entirely new battle style, similar to triple or rotation battles from Gen 5. But yeah, I agree that adding some new megas and possibly some new exclusive Z-moves would be ideal.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
The poke ball and rotating arrows symbol makes me think upgraded rotation battles.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
So I have a random thought idea to go along with the battle stance thing.

What if in addition to altering your stats some (offensive stance has more power while defensive is more... defensive). What if certain moves act different depending on your stance.

So like Flame Wheel in Neutral or Attack Stance is an attack. But in Defense Stance it acts as a shield lowering damage depending on the type of move your for uses.

Like wise a move like Will O Wisp would act normal in Neutral and Defense Stance, but in Attack Stance it deals damage directly.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

What if in addition to altering your stats some (offensive stance has more power while defensive is more... defensive). What if certain moves act different depending on your stance.

So like Flame Wheel in Neutral or Attack Stance is an attack. But in Defense Stance it acts as a shield lowering damage depending on the type of move your for uses.

Like wise a move like Will O Wisp would act normal in Neutral and Defense Stance, but in Attack Stance it deals damage directly.

Seems like it would be an awful lot of work from a design standpoint, since every move would essentially be turned into 2-3 different moves.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Seems like it would be an awful lot of work from a design standpoint, since every move would essentially be turned into 2-3 different moves.

In theory. But I could also see it being a thing where most moves don't change.

Even if most did I could see it having simple defaults. Like Physical Fire Attacks boost physical defense in Defense stance, special boost Sp.

In theory animations don't need to change or can be simplified.

Zaide

The poke ball and rotating arrows symbol makes me think upgraded rotation battles.

The more I look at the logo, the more I think this could be a thing. As stated, the japanese logos of XY and SM have both displayed the logo of the gimmick they were introducing, and the "pokeball" in SS's logo isn't just a typical pokeball. To me, it almost is a certainty that it is related to whatever gimmick they will introduce.

The reason I say that the stance thing could be a thing is that the pokeball has a blue and a red half, each representing the colors of shield (blue) and sword (red), or defense and offense. Then, you have these white swirls, which remind me of a rotating motion. I understand why this could also be linked to rotation battles. But due to the colors, I also think this could represent the action of changing between offensive and defensive stances.

On paper, I do think something like that could work. Obviously, there are several ways something like that could be implemented. Would all Pokémon be able to perform this? Would it require holding an item? Can you change stances anytime during a battle? Does it "waste" a turn? What would be the difference(s) between offensive and defensive stances? Would there be a "neutral" stance? And, since this is practically Aegislash's gimmick already - what would happen with it?

The way I would implement :
- Only specific Pokémon can perform the stance change, and it does not require any item to be held. This is to prevent abuses from either already offense gods, or from already defense gods.
- For these Pokémon, you can set up whether they start a fight in defensive or offensive stance in their summary screen. Or, you could also have that Pokémon caught in Sword start in offensive stance, while Pokémon caught in Shield start in defensive stance.
- These Pokémon would have access to two movesets - one for each stance. You'd have some moves that can only be added to the defense moveset, some only to the offense moveset, and some to both. But the effects remain the same - although you could have some gimmicky moves work differently depending on the stance. This means these Pokémon would have access to 8 different moves. I'd make it impossible to have duplicates.
- Changing stance would not consume a turn, but act at the end of the turn. So if you want to switch stance, you first have to move using your initial stance, and then your Pokémon would change stance at the end of the turn, after everyone has moved.
- The stances would have an impact on base stats. It could work differently for each Pokémon able to perform this, or it could be something has simple as +X ATK/SPATK and maybe -X DEF/SPDEF in offensive stance, and +X DEF/SPDEF and maybe -X ATK/SPATK in defensive stance. Could work in %. Don't know what would be best here, but since I would make it so only specific Pokémon can perform stance change, I'd have it Pokémon specific. Maybe there could be an ability change, but not a fan of this.
- To keep something exclusive to Aegislash, it would still work the same with its ability, and the stats change from the stance change from other Pokémon able to do it would be lesser than what it is for Aegislash.

epicdragon

Good times
What I’m thinking it could be is having one Pokémon that takes hits from the opponents, while the other is used purely for attacking. The stances can be swapped both by the you and the opposing player maybe? I can’t sleep.

Ultra Beast Lover

Well what we see in I'm assuming the gym is Pokemon fighting but the trainers aren't in sight, unless of course it's just a demonstration we watch on TV. Maybe it's a little early to tell.