• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

This Gen's new gimmick.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I'd rather we have single battles..
We already had double battles SM/USUM trials and triple and rotation battles are too complex..

Creyk

I'd rather we have single battles..
We already had double battles SM/USUM trials and triple and rotation battles are too complex..

That is why they are good in the long run, once you finished the game and did a lot of adventuring it is good to have further options for more thought-provoking challenges.

Anyway. This little comic about the no longer upcoming armored evolutions is so cute
the_galar_gang__shining_armor__possible_spoilers__by_eurekatrollcat_dd2fj71-pre.jpg

Monozu

この日、森の中・・・
I'd prefer no gimmick this gen, since I feel they don't add as much to the series compared to things like stat buffs for older Pokemon or regional forms.

Leonhart

Imagineer
chickenperson said:
My hope is that they do something really exciting with Gyms. The gyms look like stadiums now (if you look at the text on the gym doors in the trailer it actually looks like the word stadium). Maybe each gym could have an extra layer of difficulty, like no healing items, or no switching. In general I hope they're going to make gyms feel more dramatic and important.

I know that a lot of people have wanted the return of a difficulty setting in the games after the way Black 2 and White 2 introduced that, so this sounds like the next best thing if Gyms in Shield and Sword have more challenges than just the usual Gym trainers.

I wonder if we'll get something like Mega Evolutions in these games, only called something else? Like new form changes that have to be activated with a special item but that are set apart from Keystones. I've read theories about armored Pokemon and I could imagine different types of armor activating form changes.

Creyk

I wonder if we'll get something like Mega Evolutions in these games, only called something else? Like new form changes that have to be activated with a special item but that are set apart from Keystones. I've read theories about armored Pokemon and I could imagine different types of armor activating form changes.
I would not be surprised, although at this point the features will become cluttered.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Something that bothers me is if they keep introducing new gimmicks, how will they play out in future games and (potentially, but it’s way too early to say) remakes? If there’s a new mechanic every Gen and it just becomes obsolete after it’s time to move on, the pool would become very cluttered. Would remakes of XY feature that Gen’s new gimmick or just Mega Evolution? All hypothetical, but introducing more and more without expanding on the mechanics we have is such a misfire in my eyes.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
If you can see the symbol in the gym logo. There is what looks like a hurricane symbol with 3 arrows circling around in it. That looks like some new kind of Rotation battle-ish system? But... maybe heavy wind will become a weather condition in this game? It would strengthen Flying type moves and all Pokémon under a certain weight would become airborne and become immune to Ground-type moves. And it may play a part in gym battles.

Leonhart

Imagineer

I've read the armored Pokemon theories, but I'm kind of over the whole form change thing since Mega Evolution covered that already. But the actual idea of armor having an emphasis in Galar is interesting since it reminds me of heraldry. Maybe there could be items that are based on heraldry crests.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Something that bothers me is if they keep introducing new gimmicks, how will they play out in future games and (potentially, but it’s way too early to say) remakes? If there’s a new mechanic every Gen and it just becomes obsolete after it’s time to move on, the pool would become very cluttered. Would remakes of XY feature that Gen’s new gimmick or just Mega Evolution? All hypothetical, but introducing more and more without expanding on the mechanics we have is such a misfire in my eyes.
This is why I don't want to have some new game changing battle mechanic in Sword & Shield like Megas and Z-Moves.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Well, we know what the new mechanic is now; Dynamax. They didn't release much information, but what we know is that Pokemon can enter a powered-up state for 3 turns, during which their attacks become "super-charged" versions of their regular moves. We don't really have any specifics (whether Dynamaxing boosts any stats, how the super-charged moves work, whether Pokemon need a particular held item to Dynamax, etc.), but I have to say I'm a bit wary. I think Z-moves were unbalanced and I don't like the idea of a Pokemon getting not 1 but 3 powered-up attacks presumably on top of your usual Z-move. We'll see exactly how the mechanic works I suppose.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Well, we know what the new mechanic is now; Dynamax. They didn't release much information, but what we know is that Pokemon can enter a powered-up state for 3 turns, during which their attacks become "super-charged" versions of their regular moves. We don't really have any specifics (whether Dynamaxing boosts any stats, how the super-charged moves work, whether Pokemon need a particular held item to Dynamax, etc.), but I have to say I'm a bit wary. I think Z-moves were unbalanced and I don't like the idea of a Pokemon getting not 1 but 3 powered-up attacks presumably on top of your usual Z-move. We'll see exactly how the mechanic works I suppose.
I don't think that a Pokemon can use a Z-Move or Mega Evolve while Dynamaxed.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I don't think that a Pokemon can use a Z-Move or Mega Evolve while Dynamaxed.
Maybe not, but my point is more that you can still use a Z-move on another Pokemon, giving you a total of 4 powered-up moves per battle, which is quite the jump up from 1.

That being said we still don't know enough about the mechanic to make any useful commentary on it. Maybe it'll be balanced, but the idea of 3 extra powered-up moves does raise some red flags for me.

YOOMTAH

Let's dance~
I hope, especially after they mentioned that the stadiums were made extra big to suit dynamax, that dynamax is disabled in regular battles

Eldegoss

Pollinate me.
Maybe not, but my point is more that you can still use a Z-move on another Pokemon, giving you a total of 4 powered-up moves per battle, which is quite the jump up from 1.

That being said we still don't know enough about the mechanic to make any useful commentary on it. Maybe it'll be balanced, but the idea of 3 extra powered-up moves does raise some red flags for me.

All 4 moves get powered up, as seen in the direct, not just 3, right?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
All 4 moves get powered up, as seen in the direct, not just 3, right?

The direct said Dynamax only lasts 3 turns, so presumably it's only 3 Dynamax-powered moves, but if Z-moves make a return, then you can also use a Z-move on top of that. You might not be able to use a Z-move on the same Pokemon that you Dynamax, depending on how the mechanic works.

Eldegoss

Pollinate me.
The direct said Dynamax only lasts 3 turns, so presumably it's only 3 Dynamax-powered moves, but if Z-moves make a return, then you can also use a Z-move on top of that. You might not be able to use a Z-move on the same Pokemon that you Dynamax, depending on how the mechanic works.

Sorry, I thought you meant 3/4 of a Pokemon's moveset gets powered up. Yeah, 3 turns, but you can choose from 4 moves it seems.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Dynamax mechanic seems to be inspired by BREAK Evolution from TCG and Giant Pokémon from various canons(including our lovely Totem Pokémon), but unlike those it can also affect earlier stages, which makes it VERY good.

The Direct video shows unlike Z-moves which all transform to a pre-set move, updated moves in Dynamax are just powered up versions of their existing moves(Eldegoss' move has the same mushroom animation from Spore, for example).

Another thing to note is it doesn't seem you will be able to switch your Pokémon when Dynamaxed, which if true is a huge deal.

Absol197

One thing I noticed that they said is this (wording may not be exact): "The Gyms are built in special locations to allow Pokémon to be Dynamaxed."

I don't think it can be used at all except in gyms and in raids. Those are the only times we see it - it appears to be location-specific.

So people who aren't much of a fan yet, it appears it won't take over the story, so that's good :) . I'm still iffy, but maybe it'll grow on me.