• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

This Gen's new gimmick.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
The vibe I seem to get from 'sword and shield' is branched evolution options, something akin to fire emblem? You get to choose a 'sword path' or 'shield path' with your starters (and others) when it evolves. So each starter would have two branches of a more attack focussed and a more defense focussed final Evo? This is pure hyperbole and is probably too simple.

This was something rumored in SM because Rockruff had 2 forms and people said the starters would be the same. Didn't end up happening.

.Aerodactyl.

The vibe I seem to get from 'sword and shield' is branched evolution options, something akin to fire emblem? You get to choose a 'sword path' or 'shield path' with your starters (and others) when it evolves. So each starter would have two branches of a more attack focussed and a more defense focussed final Evo? This is pure hyperbole and is probably too simple.
I've wanted them to do split evolutions for starters based on game version since XY! Or even if it was a different form with a different design. I LOVE this idea and hope they do it.

I think its smart too, because it allows them to take the starter final form in two different directions, making it easier to please everyone because there is more options and you're more likely to make something someone likes. Like, if they had done that with SUMO starters? Incenaroar was popular, but very decisive. Some people wanted it to stay on all fours. Others wanted a final stage for Popplio that wasn't so "girly". If they had split evolutions or forms, they could have rocked their initial designs and another one.

Creyk

There are more and more rumors circulating that this gen's gimmick will be putting armor on pokemon. Was that discussed?
It's an interesting idea.

Some of the rumor:
  • New ‘Spirit Armor’ system introduced to the game which lets you equip armor or equipment that you have found
  • Spirit Armor adds different effects depending on the item and only one can be attached to a Pokémon at a time (but this is in addition to regular held items)
  • Some held items may be converted to Spirit Armor or at least gain the ability to serve as it; Never-Melt Ice is given as an example which will add an extra 10% chance of freezing an opponent
  • Another example Spirit Armor was given as a fiery necklace that changes an attack’s type to Fire
  • Similar to Z-Moves, some Pokémon will have exclusive Spirit Armor that can only be equipped by them, such as Mewtwo and the starting Pokémon
  • All three starter lines remain pure Grass, Fire and Water-type but, if equipped with their unique Spirit Armor, become Grass/Fairy, Fire/Fighting and Water/Ghost respectively
  • The games have a single wolf-like Legendary Pokémon as their mascot, but the Spirit Armor it wields will determine its type and attacks. In Sword it will be Dragon/Steel and in Shield it will be Ice/Steel.
  • Players can connect with others who have the opposite version to unlock the other version
  • The “wolf” Legendary cannot go into battle if it does not have any Spirit Armor equipped
  • There is definitely a connection to Kalos, with many characters re-appearing, but you cannot travel there

Orphalesion

I mean Spirit Armor sounds less terrible than Armour evolution. But on the whole it still sounds incredibly terrible to me. Particular the idea that the secondary starter types are armor-dependend I freaking hate temporary form changes.
Plus it sounds like a needless variation on held items.
There's no reason to believe it right now, but I do think the whole things sounds bad/lame enough to be potentially true.
And I also have trouble believing that Scrobunny's special armor form would be Fire/Fighting. They're not gonna do that (hopefully).

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
There are more and more rumors circulating that this gen's gimmick will be putting armor on pokemon. Was that discussed?

Some of the rumor:
  • New ‘Spirit Armor’ system introduced to the game which lets you equip armor or equipment that you have found
  • Spirit Armor adds different effects depending on the item and only one can be attached to a Pokémon at a time (but this is in addition to regular held items)
  • Some held items may be converted to Spirit Armor or at least gain the ability to serve as it; Never-Melt Ice is given as an example which will add an extra 10% chance of freezing an opponent
  • Another example Spirit Armor was given as a fiery necklace that changes an attack’s type to Fire
  • Similar to Z-Moves, some Pokémon will have exclusive Spirit Armor that can only be equipped by them, such as Mewtwo and the starting Pokémon
  • All three starter lines remain pure Grass, Fire and Water-type but, if equipped with their unique Spirit Armor, become Grass/Fairy, Fire/Fighting and Water/Ghost respectively
  • The games have a single wolf-like Legendary Pokémon as their mascot, but the Spirit Armor it wields will determine its type and attacks. In Sword it will be Dragon/Steel and in Shield it will be Ice/Steel.
  • Players can connect with others who have the opposite version to unlock the other version
  • The “wolf” Legendary cannot go into battle if it does not have any Spirit Armor equipped
  • There is definitely a connection to Kalos, with many characters re-appearing, but you cannot travel there

Do you have a source for any of this?

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I mean Spirit Armor sounds less terrible than Armour evolution. But on the whole it still sounds incredibly terrible to me. Particular the idea that the secondary starter types are armor-dependend I freaking hate temporary form changes.
There's no reason to believe it right now, but I do think the whole things sounds bad/lame enough to be potentially true.
And I also have trouble believing that Scrobunny's special armor form would be Fire/Fighting. They're not gonna do that (hopefully).

Pretty much agree with what you said 100%.

Sounds better than armor Evo.
Starters second types being SA dependant (and in one case being a type that we obviously want to stay away from) is very meh. Plus, yet another set of items to collect, in a see of too many items to collect. (I do at least like it's potentially a different slot).

Also... I mean does it change abilities? Stats? If it doesn't it's weaker than M.Evolution. if it does then why not just make more M.Evos?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Pretty much agree with what you said 100%.

Sounds better than armor Evo.
Starters second types being SA dependant (and in one case being a type that we obviously want to stay away from) is very meh. Plus, yet another set of items to collect, in a see of too many items to collect. (I do at least like it's potentially a different slot).

Also... I mean does it change abilities? Stats? If it doesn't it's weaker than M.Evolution. if it does then why not just make more M.Evos?
They might just want something different and flashy, but I think that this is fake. I highly doubt that spirit armor has any connections to Mewtwo's armor in the first movie. TR created Mewtwo's armor to control it and make it less powerful. The whole movie's plot will be messed up if they make Mewtwo's armor something to be desired rather than something to be discarded. They are also not making any changes to the plot of M22 because Takeshi Shudo is the only writer credited.

Pikachu111213

Traveler

I actually like the idea of spirit armor. I will HATE if the stuff about the starters are true tho. I mean give them armored forms, sure. But don’t force me to give them an armor just to give them a secondary type.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I actually like the idea of spirit armor. I will HATE if the stuff about the starters are true tho. I mean give them armored forms, sure. But don’t force me to give them an armor just to give them a secondary type.
Yeah. I also don't think that they would lock the starter's second types behind the spirit armor and I also don't think that they would outright prevent the box legend from being used in battle without the armor.

Missingno.Fan

Some of the rumor:
I really hope this isn’t true. Spirit Armor sounds good at first, but once I think about it just sounds like glorified hold items. I also really do not like the idea of the starters only gaining a second type with Spirit Armor. It feels too gimmicky. Also the idea of the wolf needed to wear armor to battle is stupid, to be blunt.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
"Spirit Armor" as a name sounds better than "Armor Evolution".

Putting on armor shouldn't be a form of evolution.

AlsosomethingsomethingDigimon

Yeah. I also don't think that they would lock the starter's second types behind the spirit armor and I also don't think that they would outright prevent the box legend from being used in battle without the armor.

I mean, Xerneas has a form that cannot be used in battle in any way, so it's not completely out of the question.

I really hope this isn’t true. Spirit Armor sounds good at first, but once I think about it just sounds like glorified hold items.

Every main regional gimmick has involved held items. It's not unprecedented.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I am not crazy about the idea either but at least it would explain the name of the games. Like it's called sword and shield because you give armor to your pokemon

I don't think they would name the games after the games gimmick.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
4Chan isn't what I'd call a reliable source, and the names could refer to a billion other things as well. I think it's likely the cover legendaries incorporate elements of a sword and shield in some way, but that's just speculation. It's a neat idea I suppose but I don't see any reason to give it any credence until more reliable information comes out.

Orphalesion

Every main regional gimmick has involved held items. It's not unprecedented.

But this would literally *be* held items under a fancy new name.There are already held items that change stats, moves and forms.

Would Arceus' plates now going to be Spirit Armor, for example?