• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

This Gen's new gimmick.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Dynamax mechanic seems to be inspired by BREAK Evolution from TCG and Giant Pokémon from various canons(including our lovely Totem Pokémon), but unlike those it can also affect earlier stages, which makes it VERY good.

The Direct video shows unlike Z-moves which all transform to a pre-set move, updated moves in Dynamax are just powered up versions of their existing moves(Eldegoss' move has the same mushroom animation from Spore, for example).

Another thing to note is it doesn't seem you will be able to switch your Pokémon when Dynamaxed, which if true is a huge deal.
Hey. Someone remembers the BREAK mechanic from TCG but I'd say yes and no because the BREAK Mechanic itself was the TCG's solution into giving every single Pokemon that they ever wanted their very own "Mega Evolution" only it's called the "BREAK" mechanic. Which is why I believe that GameFreak intends to give every Pokemon their very own "Mega Evolution" only it's called the "Dynamax" mechanic. Actually now that I talked about it, I guess the two are very similar in concept considering there supposed to be a substitute for Mega Evolution.

Mikeachu

Soul Trainer
One thing I noticed that they said is this (wording may not be exact): "The Gyms are built in special locations to allow Pokémon to be Dynamaxed."

I don't think it can be used at all except in gyms and in raids. Those are the only times we see it - it appears to be location-specific.

So people who aren't much of a fan yet, it appears it won't take over the story, so that's good :) . I'm still iffy, but maybe it'll grow on me.
Wifi battles will probably take place in a stadium where Dynamax is allowed, so for me its still a big deal. No pun intended.

Ugh, I actually hate this dynamaxing crap idea. I already didn’t like how z-moves ruined the metagame and now this? Not only does it look broken, but it’s such an incredibly boring idea. If a player dynamaxes their Pokémon, they basically force the opponent to do so as well or else they lose 3 Pokémon. Why couldn’t they just make more mega evolutions? I don’t know anyone that doesn’t want megas back, their so much cooler and allow for better designs of Pokémon than just simply they grow 1000 times bigger. The rest of the direct was great, but dynamaxing really was just the worst thing I’ve seen in ages. I hope it’s not something in normal battles and if it is that every competitive seen including Smogon outright bans it. They could have done raid bosses in a different way without this nonsense. Such a terrible idea. What a mess.

3DSRed

Alias RedAgent14
it appears to be location-specific.

Official site confirms this. To quote the site: "Dynamax is a phenomenon unique to specific locations in the Galar region"

I kind of want to see Dynamax Wailord now.

Last edited:

Missingno.Fan

Am I the only one who thinks Dynamax look....dumb? Actually “dumb” isn’t the right word, but broken. It’s like mega evolution and Z-moves tied into one.

DSDark

Breeder
Am I the only one who thinks Dynamax look....dumb? Actually “dumb” isn’t the right word, but broken. It’s like mega evolution and Z-moves tied into one.

I could see them streamlining mega and z-moves into just Dynamax. No more mega's no more z's. The z-move are effectively the max moves. As for the megas, when certain pokemon dynamax they change form as well.

Absol197

Wifi battles will probably take place in a stadium where Dynamax is allowed, so for me its still a big deal. No pun intended.

Ah. I totally forgot about that. I mostly just play casually, so that thought totally escaped me. Apologies. Yeah... still not sold on the concept.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I could see them streamlining mega and z-moves into just Dynamax. No more mega's no more z's. The z-move are effectively the max moves. As for the megas, when certain pokemon dynamax they change form as well.

Honestly this would be even less balanced as it would essentially be a straight buff to Z-moves but a straight nerf to mega evolutions. I consider Z-moves to be fundamentally unbalanced, but I also don't consider mega evolution to be inherently unbalanced in the same way, although certain specific mega evolutions are certainly unbalanced. Either way, I think buffing Z-moves while nerfing megas would be a step in the wrong direction.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
I imagine I'll be forced to use Dynamax in gym battles to beat the Leaders

Now i wish the armor evolution rumor was real instead.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
You know. I wonder if Dynamax will have an origin story like it's Z-Move and Mega Evolution counterpart? Mega Evolution was a result of AZ's Ultimate Weapon and Z-Moves are a result of Ultra Necrozma's injury.

Mikeachu

Soul Trainer
Assuming Poke'Home doesn't allow transfer of held items, GF could totally phase those out if they wanted.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I imagine I'll be forced to use Dynamax in gym battles to beat the Leaders

Now i wish the armor evolution rumor was real instead.

You wont be forced, it'll just be easier. But since it only lasts for three turns you could always just stall anyway if it turns out the Dynamaxed Pokemon is just too much.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I hope they just scrap the idea now and edit it out of the game. This feature actually makes me not want to buy the game

That's not going to happen, so you'll want to resign yourself to it now or move on and forget about the games entirely.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
I don't like it either, but i might force myself to use it if Gym Leaders do.

at least i can avoid the Dynamax'ed Wild pokemon

Sarefan

Hylden General.
Not a fan though. Mega Evolution and Z-moves can be explained Lore-Wise. But this? I wonder what that explanation might be.

DSDark

Breeder
I don't like it either, but i might force myself to use it if Gym Leaders do.

at least i can avoid the Dynamax'ed Wild pokemon

It's not my favorite feature but it feels like it can be completely ignored if you want to. These are the best features!

Orphalesion

Not that much a fan of it, but it seems reasonably unobtrusive and it's actually a pretty good way to make Gym battles more "epic"

And hey, better than a handful of Pokemon stuffed into armour...