• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

This Gen's new gimmick.

Ultra Beast Lover

I'm more interested in the lore of the mechanic then the mechanic itself. I wonder if perhaps it's a gift of sorts from the third legend like it was so impressed by the Galarians love of battle that it was like, "I'll grant you a limited form of my own power so you can further enjoy battles."

Miar

Wigglytuff Guild recruit
This trend of battle styles almost compares to Yu-Gi-Oh mechanics. Consider:

Mega = Fusion. (It requires two specific elements and a trigger to instill a transformation)
Z-power = Synchro (In most cases, the only requirement is the Z-crystal matching the move's type. The same Pokemon could have one of 4 Crystals, or the same Crystal could be used on one of 4 moves)
DMAX = Xyz (It's also non-specific and even more powerful(-looking) than either but its effects are limited. Also, the dark clouds hover overhead like how an Xyz's overlays circle around them)

Way too early to say this but next gen we could get a case of worlds colliding, ARC-V style

Skyknight

I'll admit I'm not sure why we need battle gimmicks of the Mega/Z/Dynamax variety. In fact, now that I think of it, wouldn't it have been better for GF to ignore the G4 outcry over Tangrowth et al. and keep bolstering previous generation critters? (What was the reasoning of the complaints, anyway? At least, in terms of anything that wasn't fixed by Platinum.) Megas, Z-moves, and Dynamax seem...flashy, for the most part. Not something I'm fond of. (How exciting does a game need to be, anyway? I know I wonder if "exciting" and "brain-stimulating" might vary inversely with each other. I don't think anyone's going to call chess exciting.)

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I can’t get myself to like this feature. As boss battles yeah they’re cool. But I don’t know how I feel about it just being somewhat of a combination of Megas and Z Moves (I wonder if Pokèmon can get stat boosts just by simply transforming?)

Are the captured bosses permanently big?

At least I can use my Incineroar as a Jojo stand

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I can’t get myself to like this feature. As boss battles yeah they’re cool. But I don’t know how I feel about it just being somewhat of a combination of Megas and Z Moves (I wonder if Pokèmon can get stat boosts just by simply transforming?)

I don't think they are. They remind me of boss battles from Pokémon Go. And they don't stay big.

Rio!

Composer

This is the one thing that's keeping me from completely disliking the feature tbh. Lore-wise, maybe but in battle, meh. It appears we might be kind of forced i to using them in stadium battles.
I'm interested in finding out how the developers managed to create giant pokeballs to hold these guys though.

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master
As I said a while ago on the General thread, I'm really glad that dynamaxing can't be used in every single battle. I rarely used mega evolution and z-moves since it just didn't feel right to use it when the opponent wasn't, so this looks like it will primarily be usable when both sides have the opportunity. While it seems kinda lazy on the outset for Pokemon to only be bigger with this gimmick, it's nice that every Pokemon can use it. That seemed to be the drawback of mega evolution; everyone wanted to see different Pokemon get a mega and Game Freak wouldn't have been able to make designs for every final stage evolution. At least now, just like with z-moves, any Pokemon can benefit from the buff. I'll be interested in seeing how big of a stat increase Pokemon get from this, though either way limiting it to three turns is a good way of nerfing the gimmick a bit.

I think it'll have a great meme factor to it too. One of my favorite comments that I've seen so far is that you can have a dynamaxed Tyranitar and Hydreigon fight like Godzilla and Ghidorah in the new movie.

SoulRebel726

As I said a while ago on the General thread, I'm really glad that dynamaxing can't be used in every single battle. I rarely used mega evolution and z-moves since it just didn't feel right to use it when the opponent wasn't, so this looks like it will primarily be usable when both sides have the opportunity. While it seems kinda lazy on the outset for Pokemon to only be bigger with this gimmick, it's nice that every Pokemon can use it. That seemed to be the drawback of mega evolution; everyone wanted to see different Pokemon get a mega and Game Freak wouldn't have been able to make designs for every final stage evolution. At least now, just like with z-moves, any Pokemon can benefit from the buff. I'll be interested in seeing how big of a stat increase Pokemon get from this, though either way limiting it to three turns is a good way of nerfing the gimmick a bit.

I think it'll have a great meme factor to it too. One of my favorite comments that I've seen so far is that you can have a dynamaxed Tyranitar and Hydreigon fight like Godzilla and Ghidorah in the new movie.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I kinda find dynamixing to be a rather uninspired gimmick, but I do like that it is available to all pokemon and that it is limited to certain situations. I also am a fan of the 3 turn max. Even battles that allow dynamixing, the battle won't necessarily be dominated by it. Assuming you can still use moves like protect, or dodge moves with things like dig/fly, you can stall out a dynamaxed pokemon in theory. In fact, it may even give some other moves a bit more relevance. Fly probably started getting used a lot less once it wasn't an HM. But with dynamaxing, maybe it makes sense for your flyer to carry the move to make a dynamaxed pokemon waste a turn.

I still don't love it as a mechanic, but I do see some pluses. I played through USUM and barely used Z moves at all, so it may even be possible to avoid dynamaxing your own pokemon if you want.

keithpetrosky

Hopefully Gen 9 we'll finally have POKEFUSION. A gimmick that was only used once in Gen 5 with Reshiram and Zekrom, but widely used all over the internet!! This Gimmick seems kinda meh....

I’m hoping for this too! The two legendaries when we saw them, towards the end the video seemed to cut quick, I wonder if they will fuse together?

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master
Pretty much my thoughts as well. I kinda find dynamixing to be a rather uninspired gimmick, but I do like that it is available to all pokemon and that it is limited to certain situations. I also am a fan of the 3 turn max. Even battles that allow dynamixing, the battle won't necessarily be dominated by it. Assuming you can still use moves like protect, or dodge moves with things like dig/fly, you can stall out a dynamaxed pokemon in theory. In fact, it may even give some other moves a bit more relevance. Fly probably started getting used a lot less once it wasn't an HM. But with dynamaxing, maybe it makes sense for your flyer to carry the move to make a dynamaxed pokemon waste a turn.

I still don't love it as a mechanic, but I do see some pluses. I played through USUM and barely used Z moves at all, so it may even be possible to avoid dynamaxing your own pokemon if you want.

I barely ever used z-moves, to the point that I nearly forgot they were a thing. Dynamaxing will probably be pretty similar since I don't usually play competitively. I do think that you bring up a good point. I'm really going to enjoy seeing how the meta shifts to counter dynamax. Whether it's sleep, evasion, or protecting, I'm sure there'll be ways to get around it. Doubles will be a bit chaotic when two Pokemon are dynamaxed and two are regular sized. Honestly, I'm 100% there for the memes of giant Pokemon, and that's enough for me once the post-game hits and I don't have to think about the gimmick any more.

DMB1985

Had Dynamax been exclusive to a selection of spots in the wild then I think I would be more enthusiastic about this feature as I do feel that the raid battles could end up being quite fun. I'm not overly keen on this being part of gym battles but if handled in a similar manner to totems then it could still end up being fun. It's the prospect of this being in online battles that bothers me. We really don't need yet another battle gimmick.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
I never used Megas or Z-Moves until well into the post-game, when I was bored and experimenting. I feel like they might force you to use Dynamax once, just to make sure you know it's an option, and then you're free to never use it again, kind of like the Mega Lucario fight in X/Y