• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

This Gen's new gimmick.

DannyDark

I barely ever used z-moves, to the point that I nearly forgot they were a thing. Dynamaxing will probably be pretty similar since I don't usually play competitively. I do think that you bring up a good point. I'm really going to enjoy seeing how the meta shifts to counter dynamax. Whether it's sleep, evasion, or protecting, I'm sure there'll be ways to get around it. Doubles will be a bit chaotic when two Pokemon are dynamaxed and two are regular sized. Honestly, I'm 100% there for the memes of giant Pokemon, and that's enough for me once the post-game hits and I don't have to think about the gimmick any more.

A small point with protecting.. I'm currently thinking that only a Max Protect can protect against a Max Attack.. either that, or a normal one will only protect partly against the attack akin to Z Moves.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Sooo not sure if this has been discussed...

But that mountain mural thing on the hillside of that giant looking Pokemon....

Do we think this might be related to Dynamax?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Oooh good question. It could very well be.

SoulRebel726

That's my assumption at the moment. I think there will be some plot line about the legendaries and the relationship to dynamax. I'm pretty convinced there is a third legendary that we don't know of yet based on how Zacian and Zamazenta were bracing themselves for some sort of attack in the forest, and I think that legendary will have something to do with dynamaxing.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
It's too similar to Totems with totem boosts to me. Or rather, the entire concept is really generic/derivative of both Mega Evolution and Z-Moves.

Did we really need a new gimmick? Not really, it's whatever. I think a new generation of Hidden Abilities for all Pokemon would have been more exciting, but that would have taken too much work.

Animating a brand-new transformation would also be too much work, so let's just blow up the Pokemon's sprites and boost their moves!

I loath the day when Wi-Fi battles will consist of all six Pokemon sporting a gimmick from each of the 3D Pokemon generations.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Count me in the camp of preferring that Megas were expanded on instead of doing another new gimmick but, oh well, can't be helped anymore. I suppose it goes without saying the Pokémon you want to Dynamax will likely need a special held item, right? That said, I'm still curious if there are 'mons who can't Dynamax. Say, for example, Zygarde Complete Form. :p

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
I wonder if we get Dynamaxing from the Professor with our starter.

They did show the Starters Dynamaxing against the Grass Gym and as far as we know he is Gym #1

axelme

are you kidding me? . dynamaxing?, this is without a doubt the dumbest, laziest "gimmic" of any of the games this far. i mean..WTF?. i was never and am still not a fan of mega evolution but at least there's a form change. this is mega evolution without the form change.

i was rolling my eyes and i know a lot of people were at the thought of galar forms but i would gladly take that over this ****

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Count me in the camp of preferring that Megas were expanded on instead of doing another new gimmick...

There's no way that'll happen. Megas are done because it was only an excuse to repackage the same popular Pokemon. The initial rollout consisted of Mewtwo, Lucario, Blaziken and Garchomp, possibly the four Pokemon who didn't need more promotion.

GameFreak's lackadaisical attitude toward the Flygon Mega in ORAS shows that they're really uninterested in making everyone happy. Their goal is to push a marketable product while putting in as little effort as possible.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
The way I see it, new Megas (as nice as they would be) simply come with their own issues. Even with the number we have there are quite a few that rarely ever get used because they are simply too inferior to others, and since you can only use one per team that problem would only increase as new Megas are added. Assuming Dynamaxing does not require a special held item (as yet the only requirement is proper location and the Dynamax Band), then its something that ANY pokemon on a team can utilize without having to sacrifice its usual role (though I do wager that you probably can't mega evolve or use a z move when in Dynamax form) and in another battle another pokemon on the same team could Dynamax if needed without the rest of the team losing anything (in contrast, running two Megas on a team means that in any full battle, one of those Megas will basically have no usable item). That wild pokemon can Dynamax implies to me that no held item is necessary, and the wrist band is probably just a means to help control the phenomenon.

And being popular was only one consideration for making Megas. The other was to power up weak Pokemon. Yes we got Charizard, Mewtwo, etc. but we also got Mawile and Beedrill.

Calling the game makers "lazy" over this is rather uncalled for in my opinion. This game is way too beautiful to be the product of people who want to put in "as little effort as possible."

Also, I don't see how "a new generation of hidden abilities" would be too much work. If anything, it'd be easier than a new mechanic.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
The British Isles have tons of folklore about giants. I'm betting that's what inspired Dynamaxing, like how Z-Moves pull from hula dancing.
That's a really fun point. Combo that with my theory that the hillside giant mural is about Dynamax and we got a fun concept insperation to in-game lore theory going.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I'm also thinking Dynamaxing may also be harder to abuse than Megas or even Z-moves, since it seems every move you have is changed to a standardized max move with a much smaller variety of effects. So you may not be able to say, boost yourself up with Dragon Dance while using the Dynamax form simply as a safety buff for three turns (unlike Z-status moves, where you could get the usual effect plus an additional effect, max status moves all seem to just turn into Max Guard).

If this crap reaches competitive the problem is not only we have 3 gimmicks and megas is the only interesting one, but the way it’ll change movepool to counter the giant Pokémon. Both people will probably be forced to use it turn one or else they will risk losing a Pokémon straight away to the other giant Pokémon. Otherwise every Pokémon is going to be forced to run awful moves like dive, dig, fly, bounce and all that low power nonsense, and then every Pokémon will probably also be forced to run protect or detect which will mean most Pokémon will have leftovers so that their protect isn’t a wasted turn, which all in turn will create a more stall focus meta... sounds really fun Game Freak you halfwit company. All they had to do was make more megas, not bloody rocket science lol

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
If this crap reaches competitive the problem is not only we have 3 gimmicks and megas is the only interesting one, but the way it’ll change movepool to counter the giant Pokémon. Both people will probably be forced to use it turn one or else they will risk losing a Pokémon straight away to the other giant Pokémon. Otherwise every Pokémon is going to be forced to run awful moves like dive, dig, fly, bounce and all that low power nonsense, and then every Pokémon will probably also be forced to run protect or detect which will mean most Pokémon will have leftovers so that their protect isn’t a wasted turn, which all in turn will create a more stall focus meta... sounds really fun Game Freak you halfwit company. All they had to do was make more megas, not bloody rocket science lol
That's assuming a lot. We don't know how big the stat/power boosts are going to be, or if Protect/Detect/Fly etc. will even block attacks from a dynamax pokemon.

And "just make more megas" is simplifying things. Pretty much every gen has had a new mechanic of one sort or another, its one thing that has given the Pokemon franchise such a long life span.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
You know. Seeing the Max Moves, it makes me wonder. Are they getting rid of Mega Evolution and Z-Moves in favor of this? At first I thought it was going be like TCG's Break where it would be a compromise to give every Pokemon a substitute for a Mega Evolution but I have a strange hunch that Dynamax might actually replace it.

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
You know. Seeing the Max Moves, it makes me wonder. Are they getting rid of Mega Evolution and Z-Moves in favor of this? At first I thought it was going be like TCG's Break where it would be a compromise to give every Pokemon a substitute for a Mega Evolution but I have a strange hunch that Dynamax might actually replace it.

I seriously don't think they're just going to throw those popular and well made gimmicks away. They're not going to just throw them away. instead I think that they'll be locked to post game like megas in SMUSUM

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I'm not really sure how I feel about Dynamex yet. On the one hand I think having a Pokemon Kaiju battle would be cool as hell, on the other hand I'm really nervous about how it's going to work out in VGC.
My guess is it's only for the gym battles and you can't dynamax in online battles. Doesn't it need special places? And pokémon that you need to 4v1 in the raid battles to beat are just so incredibly broken that even Primal Groudon would be dwarfed. Not to mention it'd probably cause the frame rates to tank if not crash the entire switch if like 4 different players were to dynamax at the same time in a battle.