• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

This Tough Old Geezer's the Island Kahuna?! (1017)

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Sorry for the late review guys, was a bit busy in life for the last few days. :p

This was a great episode with plenty of intriguing things happening one after another. First of all, another mention of the League in Ash's flashback, and it more or less confirms that Kiawe is going to participate in the League. Then Giovanni's phone call to Nanu.....yep I'm now more convinced that writers are very likely incorporating the Team Rainbow Rocket plot into the anime. Then, the mention of the lore of Ultra Necrozma along with Solgaleo and Lunala......yep no doubt Ultra Necrozma is getting to play in big role at the end of the series(and not to mention Poipole being intrigued by seeing the pic of Ultra Necrozma in the book also definitely rings a bell about what role it could possibly play in the Ultra Necrozma arc).

And last of all, the battle. Damn, Kukui was right, Ash yet isn't quite ready to challenge the Ula Ula Grand Trial yet. :( A really hard loss for Ash and Dusk Lycanroc; the red eyes rage thing just seemed to a plot-device to make Ash lose the battle, but I guess it's just fopr the greater good anyway, Dusk Lycanroc definitely will get some great development out of this hard loss.

Overall a great episode, plenty of things happened in it to keep the plot advancing. 9/10.

Ultra Beast Lover

I honestly didn't even notice that the other classmates weren't there, idk they've always just been there. Then again I was only looking at screenshots and not the episode yet. I'll probably watch this arc, Accelora is present.

hottom3rd

Good ep. that loss was harsh but necessary. Ash using a lesser developed character makes sense here. Pika would have been too easy.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Good episode, even if Satoshi's Lugarugan losing against Kuchinashi's Waruvial was somewhat predictable. What I appreciated was the Alola League foreshadowing, as well as the Necrozma reference, which got me excited.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Sometimes Nanu reminds me of TFS Nail (before Namek was invaded), and I love it.

Okay, the image of a cop holding a box that appears to say LSD on it is hilarious.

Nice to see even Rotomdex's film can't get a ghost in a picture. Now that I think about it, can Ghost-type Pokemon be summoned by saying their name three or five times?

That was quite a beating Lycanroc suffered. While I wish Lycanroc's anger issues had been built up better, I look forward to seeing how it'll be dealt with.

You know, what is that people like to say as part of their little spiel about how the JP version is better than the dub? That is, apart from the music and acting stuff? Ah yes, the fact that the JP version never gets a Pokemon fact wrong. Yeah, bullshit. It got the order of Krookodile's types wrong. Some expert. And it's great to see TPCi fix that gaffe. Yet another thing to gladly rub in the TPCi hatedom's stupid face.

The music was really really good when Nanu lectured Ash. Along with the acting, that scene excellently showed Ash's frustration. I also like the music and acting of the scene toward the end when Ash and Lycanroc had that little talk.

This was a good one and it looks like an interesting arc is starting.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So, are we not even pretending to do the regular trials before the Grand Trials now? This is just dumb. At least Ash did one trial before each of his previous Grand Trials, but now he's just leaping straight to the Grand Trial without doing anything else. Why? What's the point? Why do trials even exist, if Ash is just going to skip them? That's a serious question. What was the purpose of Ash doing the Normal and Grass Trials? Clearly he didn't need to, as he obviously can just jump straight to fighting the Kahuna. It's just poor and lazy writing. No other reason.

And then what's up with the wait between this Grand Trial and the last? Clearly Ash is just able to take a boat over to this island whenever he wants. Why'd he wait until now? As far as I can tell, there was never any reason given for why he decided out of nowhere that now was the right time. He just waited because the writers need to space everything out. That's the problem with having Ash living in one place instead of traveling.

Despite all that, there was some positive to this episode. Extremely happy and intrigued to see Ultra Necrozma brought up. Also interesting to see that the show is giving it's own lore to Necrozma, Solgaleo, and Lunala. Can't wait to see how that all turns out, especially now that it looks like Team Rocket is involved. Speaking of Team Rocket, the Giovanni and Nanu story just got more interesting. I had assumed they knew each other because Nanu used to be a crooked cop, but now it's looking more like Nanu actually used to be a part of Team Rocket. Huh.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
So, are we not even pretending to do the regular trials before the Grand Trials now? This is just dumb. At least Ash did one trial before each of his previous Grand Trials, but now he's just leaping straight to the Grand Trial without doing anything else. Why? What's the point? Why do trials even exist, if Ash is just going to skip them? That's a serious question. What was the purpose of Ash doing the Normal and Grass Trials? Clearly he didn't need to, as he obviously can just jump straight to fighting the Kahuna. It's just poor and lazy writing. No other reason.

This episode didn't have a Grand Trial, it was just a pre-trial that Nanu used as an attempt to prove to Ash he wasn't ready and to get rid of him

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
This episode didn't have a Grand Trial, it was just a pre-trial that Nanu used as an attempt to prove to Ash he wasn't ready and to get rid of him

I realize that, but Ash still attempted to perform the Grand Trial, and Nanu didn't say no because Ash hadn't completed that island's trials, but just because he arbitrarily didn't think Ash was ready. I'll take back what most of what I said if Ash actually ends up performing the regular trials on the island before he fights Nanu for real, but even then, the trials clearly weren't a pre-requisite for the Grand Trial, just something he'd be doing to train with.

And, if we're being blunt, the whole "pre-trial" thing was just some silly semantics. A Grand Trial is a battle with a Kahuna, and that's exactly what Ash was doing. Had he won that fight, there really wouldn't have been much of a point in doing the actual Grand Trial, as Ash would have already proven he could beat Nanu. We can only not consider it a Grand Trial because Ash lost.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I think a Grand Trial is a bit more than just a battle. It also involves a ritual and prayer at the Island Guardian's ruins. Regardless, I'd say hold off on your judgement until you've seen through till the actual Grand Trial. There's a lot of stuff I don't like about this portion of SM, and the point you address about Ash suddenly going to Ula'Ula without visible cause is one of them, it lacks set up. The other is that the rest of the kids get completely shafted here, I miss them, and I don't think Acerola is interesting as foil for Ash. She's only funny as Nanu's babysitter.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ryu Taylor said:
You know, what is that people like to say as part of their little spiel about how the JP version is better than the dub? That is, apart from the music and acting stuff?

Well seeing as how the music and dialogue are the only major changes between the two versions other than a few edits every now and then, you kind of answered your own question.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I think a Grand Trial is a bit more than just a battle. It also involves a ritual and prayer at the Island Guardian's ruins.

Yeah, there's ceremony that goes along side it, but if we look at it as a test of Ash's skill and ability, which is the main purpose of the Island Trial, it's only the battle that really matters in the end. The ritual and prayer aren't going to change the outcomes of anything.

Regardless, I'd say hold off on your judgement until you've seen through till the actual Grand Trial.

Fair enough. I do think some of my issues were fair assessments, even without seeing everything, but I'll just wait and see before I truly get upset about them.

The other is that the rest of the kids get completely shafted here, I miss them, and I don't think Acerola is interesting as foil for Ash. She's only funny as Nanu's babysitter.

Wow, they really don't bring in Ash's classmates after this episode? They're absent for a few episodes? That's crazy and unheard of. Personally, Lillie and Kiawe are the only ones of Ash's classmates that I even somewhat enjoy, and I feel like all of them together just overload the episodes sometimes, so I'm actually very interested in having a few episodes without them.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Wow, they really don't bring in Ash's classmates after this episode? They're absent for a few episodes? That's crazy and unheard of. Personally, Lillie and Kiawe are the only ones of Ash's classmates that I even somewhat enjoy, and I feel like all of them together just overload the episodes sometimes, so I'm actually very interested in having a few episodes without them.
I would add Suiren/Lana to that list because I find her trollish tendencies and constant need to one-up everyone else incredibly amusing, but I do agree with your point here; I'd say the fact that they can leave out some of his friends for an episode or two is one of the show's strengths, and I really wish they'd take advantage of it more often. Far too often you have the classmates showing up in episodes where they don't actually serve any purpose, just so they can remind the audience that "Hello, we exist!" and take focus away from the actual point of the episode.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I would add Suiren/Lana to that list because I find her trollish tendencies and constant need to one-up everyone else incredibly amusing, but I do agree with your point here; I'd say the fact that they can leave out some of his friends for an episode or two is one of the show's strengths, and I really wish they'd take advantage of it more often. Far too often you have the classmates showing up in episodes where they don't actually serve any purpose, just so they can remind the audience that "Hello, we exist!" and take focus away from the actual point of the episode.
Tbf what noteworthy things did Acelora do in this arc other than being a glorified guidebook for Ash? Like I get Ash needed someone to help him get where he needs to be but you could remove Acelora out of this and hardly anything would change.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Tbf what noteworthy things did Acelora do in this arc other than being a glorified guidebook for Ash? Like I get Ash needed someone to help him get where he needs to be but you could remove Acelora out of this and hardly anything would change.
^Basically that. She was there to provide information and for Satoshi to have someone to talk to. Oh, and to get Kuchinashi/Nanu to stop procrastinating because Satoshi is far too nice to do it himself. She was hardly the most complex, engaging or unique character in the world... but really I just appreciated the fact that it was something different than having his usual five-person entourage accompanying him everywhere.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I don't get why Acerola's Mimikyu gets along with Pikachu because I thought all Mimikyu are supposed to hate Pikachu.

Plus the way Ash and Kiawe were staring down each other is probably a good hint at it

The lightning between the eyes rivalry! Just like Iris and Georgia throughout their series and just like Serena and Miette in XY26!

What kind of league format there is going to be though which will make Kiawe to be able to participate? I mean he has only two Pokemon (three if we count Charizard) and I cannot imagine a league which lacks full battles.

In recent leagues, Conway, Nando, Barry, Stephan, Bianca, Trip, Trevor, and Tierno, are all rivals who have lost before the full battles.

It was kinda good to see Lycanroc get berserk after a long time even with a flashback but unfortunately resulted in its downfall against Nanu.

It didn't get dirty this time, so I don't get it.

They gave Alan a full team of 6 out of ass, so if they want to put Kiawe in the league, they will do it.

The difference is that Kiawe is a main character (the equivalent of a "traveling companion") from previous generations. Pulling it "out of ass" was fine because Ash isn't with Alain all the time, so Alain obviously got those Pokémon offscreen during the hundreds of days of his life he's not with Ash.

I really wish Acerola was the one travelling with Ash instead of his current bunch of horrendous classmates.

She's better than all of them combined.

Its even possible we have a different concept league than the others, with the first round being a double battle and then Ash fights Kiawe in the first round (Then they don't have to give Kiawe a third mon) and then second round start with 3v3 battles.

It wouldn't be different since the Ever Grande Conference started with double battles.

Interesting that she brushed off Trio's info. Either Giovanni's studies have gotten that far or she's holding out info from her boss. Either way I like the idea that TR (especially Giovanni) might get a big arc again.

It's neither one. It's that she doesn't trust them and therefore doesn't trust their info.

It's ironic that after so many complaints that Ash and TR are stale, the fans seem more invested in episodes revolved around just them than the new companion's episodes.

Complaints that Ash and TR are stale are complaining only when they're actually stale. A new concept arc with just the two of them traveling an island is not stale, it's brand new. There's no irony. The irony would be if Ash and TR were doing the same COTD nonsense as always and fans still seemed more invested. Fans seem more invested because it's totally different and not stale in any way.

Releasing Pokemon was never a big part of the games (largely due to the PC) and definitely had no story focus (I mean you can even capture important Pokemon like the Tapu (who the hell is going to appoint new Isand Kahina's now????!!!!)) so I wonder why the anime keeps doing it...

You answered your own question when you mentioned "who the hell is going to appoint..." in essence realizing the games just don't make sense in the anime canon, so obviously the anime won't follow them. There's no need to wonder.

I loved the detail of Ash's reaction when he lost. With just his facial expressions, you could really sense his frustration and hurt—not only with the loss, but also with not being able to control his Pokémon. He looked like he was about to cry at one point! The detailed animation is one thing I love about the SM series, and that scene drove that home.

Not to derail its thread (not that it will anyway, since no one reads my posts on these threads since they happen eternities after everybody else has seen the episode), but this reaction is how Ash should have acted after losing to Alain, and is why many fans were pissed he did not.

Speaking of character portrayals, I love how the anime is portraying Acerola! She is just as fun as she was in the games. It's really a shame she probably won't appear much after the Ula'Ula arc, because I would love to see more of her.

She's better than Kiawe, Mallow, Sophocles, Lana, and Ilima combined.

Or, yeah, out of ass.

It doesn't have to be OUT of ass, it can BE an ass!! Mudbray

I wondered how long until Bewear figure out about the TR decoys.

I hope not until the end of the arc, please. I hate Bewear.

I wouldn't mind more moderate character focus like this. Maybe even experiment with an episode where Ash isn't there in person.

An episode without Ash at all would be a side story, not a main series episode. The closest you'll get is last episode where Ash only appeared for 5 seconds at the end. What was wrong with that, in your opinion? It essentially was an Ash-less episode, with Ash only appearing so that it could qualify as a main series episode. His appearance did nothing to impact the rest of the episode, so you essentially saw what an Ash-less episode would look like.

None of them went see his first Grand Trail

which was the most jarring important battle in the history of the show

Kukui was right

When did Kukui say that?

idk they've always just been there

^this is false

Now that I think about it, can Ghost-type Pokemon be summoned by saying their name three or five times?

I don't understand.

It got the order of Krookodile's types wrong.

Order of types carries zero significance.

If I say Exeggutor is Psychic and Grass, or I say Articuno is Flying and Ice, or I say Turtonator is Dragon and Fire, I am CORRECT.

So, are we not even pretending to do the regular trials before the Grand Trials now? This is just dumb.

The anime has been so different from the games for more than 20 years so I don't understand why you're getting upset about it now. Furthermore, even within this generation it's been consistent with the first two Grand Trials which Ash did before finishing all trials, so if anything way back during the Hala fight should have been when you overreacted in this way, and you should have expected it since then for the remainder of the generation!

He just waited because the writers need to space everything out. That's the problem with having Ash living in one place instead of traveling.

This I can fully agree on.

And, if we're being blunt, the whole "pre-trial" thing was just some silly semantics. A Grand Trial is a battle with a Kahuna, and that's exactly what Ash was doing. Had he won that fight, there really wouldn't have been much of a point in doing the actual Grand Trial, as Ash would have already proven he could beat Nanu. We can only not consider it a Grand Trial because Ash lost.

I disagree. It was 1on1. The final battle will be more than 1 Pokémon. The 1on1 nature alone makes it different.

The ritual and prayer aren't going to change the outcomes of anything.

Only a true nonbeliever would say this.

Similarly, Clemont's appearances in XY63 and 65 were unnecessary, and they only did them because at the time they hadn't conceived of the idea of main characters not appearing in every episode. I hope this can continue to future generations.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The anime has been so different from the games for more than 20 years so I don't understand why you're getting upset about it now.

Because Sun and Moon has a massive absence of battles, especially serious battles, and trials are something obvious and easy to do fix that problem. Or, if you rather, trials were made to replace gyms in the games, and now the show isn't using them fully to replace gyms, leaving the show somewhat empty compared to what it used to be. Normally when the anime takes liberties, it's either to make things more interesting, make things more natural/less restricted by game mechanics, or makes no real difference. This is a case where nothing good is gained by change, and the show is, in-fact, made worse by it.

Trust me, I'm not someone to think the show needs to mirror the game in every aspect. In fact, I fully support the show making changes to enhance the world of Pokémon. I do, however, take issue with the writers not giving us everything they can to make this show better.

Furthermore, even within this generation it's been consistent with the first two Grand Trials which Ash did before finishing all trials, so if anything way back during the Hala fight should have been when you overreacted in this way, and you should have expected it since then for the remainder of the generation!

That's not true at all. Before Hala, he did the Normal Trial. He may have skipped the Fire and Water Trials, but he did do the Grass Trial before Olivia. Up until now, they've been consistent with having him do one regular trial before the Grand Trial, implying that you had to do at least one trial on an island before undergoing the Grand Trial. Now we don't have any trials at all. Not only does that leave us with less serious battles, but it also makes no in-universe sense, as it begs the question, why would Ash do one trial before each of his previous Grand Trials, but not this one. Why did Hala have Ash do the Normal Trial? Why did Ash have to do the Grass Trial before e battled Olivia? Had Ash done either the Electric or Ghost Trial first, then I wouldn't have been nearly as annoyed.

And, while Ash did skip the Fire and Water Trials, they still, at least, "pretended" to have those trials with the Lana and the Totem Wishiwashi episode, and the Kiawe and Alolan Marowak episode. This time they didn't even pretend to do either trial. Given, they still could in the coming episodes before Ash's actual Grand Trial, which is why I said I would wait to fully judge the situation until then.

I disagree. It was 1on1. The final battle will be more than 1 Pokémon. The 1on1 nature alone makes it different.

That is true. But it would still have been extremely awkward for Ash to have beaten Nanu, even in a one-on-one, just to have Nanu say, "Okay, now you can battle me again tomorrow."

Only a true nonbeliever would say this.

Sorry, I can't tell if you're being serious or joking. No disrespect intended if you're being serious, but I'm not going to debate aspects of faith and religion.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I think you might be getting a bit too absorbed in the "what if Ash beat Nanu in their pre-trial?" scenario. He didn't. The thing about Nanu is that he's a clever man, he's very observant and quick to spot weaknesses. He's also a lazy selfish bum who will do a lot to avoid his responsibilities. He just gave that short pre-trial battle to Ash in an attempt to quickly get rid of him by beating him. Yes, it would've been awkward had Ash beaten him, but I reckon in that scenario Nanu would've just given Ash a trial and after that a proper Grand Trial, and he simply wouldn't care about how awkward it was. Nanu just realised that he could probably beat Ash quite quickly if he got under Lycanroc's skin, and he tried to use that in an attempt to get rid of Ash so he wouldn't have to bother with trials.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I don't get why Acerola's Mimikyu gets along with Pikachu because I thought all Mimikyu are supposed to hate Pikachu.
I don't think all Mimikyu are supposed to hate Pikachu. After all, the reason Mimikyu wears that Pikachu-like cloth is because it wants to be loved like Pikachu. In other words, it wants to be Pikachu. Jessie's Mimikyu is an exception, with its bloodthirsty hatred of all Pikachu.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I don't think all Mimikyu are supposed to hate Pikachu. After all, the reason Mimikyu wears that Pikachu-like cloth is because it wants to be loved like Pikachu. In other words, it wants to be Pikachu. Jessie's Mimikyu is an exception, with its bloodthirsty hatred of all Pikachu.

Exactly. Pokemon are individuals, especially so in the anime, where they are constantly given human-like traits that would make no sense on what are essentially animals.

One member does not define the species as a whole.