• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

This Tough Old Geezer's the Island Kahuna?! (1017)

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I don't get why Acerola's Mimikyu gets along with Pikachu because I thought all Mimikyu are supposed to hate Pikachu.

The lightning between the eyes rivalry! Just like Iris and Georgia throughout their series and just like Serena and Miette in XY26!

In recent leagues, Conway, Nando, Barry, Stephan, Bianca, Trip, Trevor, and Tierno, are all rivals who have lost before the full battles.

It didn't get dirty this time, so I don't get it.

The difference is that Kiawe is a main character (the equivalent of a "traveling companion") from previous generations. Pulling it "out of ass" was fine because Ash isn't with Alain all the time, so Alain obviously got those Pokémon offscreen during the hundreds of days of his life he's not with Ash.

She's better than all of them combined.

It wouldn't be different since the Ever Grande Conference started with double battles.

It's neither one. It's that she doesn't trust them and therefore doesn't trust their info.

Complaints that Ash and TR are stale are complaining only when they're actually stale. A new concept arc with just the two of them traveling an island is not stale, it's brand new. There's no irony. The irony would be if Ash and TR were doing the same COTD nonsense as always and fans still seemed more invested. Fans seem more invested because it's totally different and not stale in any way.

You answered your own question when you mentioned "who the hell is going to appoint..." in essence realizing the games just don't make sense in the anime canon, so obviously the anime won't follow them. There's no need to wonder.

Not to derail its thread (not that it will anyway, since no one reads my posts on these threads since they happen eternities after everybody else has seen the episode), but this reaction is how Ash should have acted after losing to Alain, and is why many fans were pissed he did not.

She's better than Kiawe, Mallow, Sophocles, Lana, and Ilima combined.

It doesn't have to be OUT of ass, it can BE an ass!! Mudbray

I hope not until the end of the arc, please. I hate Bewear.

An episode without Ash at all would be a side story, not a main series episode. The closest you'll get is last episode where Ash only appeared for 5 seconds at the end. What was wrong with that, in your opinion? It essentially was an Ash-less episode, with Ash only appearing so that it could qualify as a main series episode. His appearance did nothing to impact the rest of the episode, so you essentially saw what an Ash-less episode would look like.

which was the most jarring important battle in the history of the show

When did Kukui say that?

^this is false

I don't understand.

Order of types carries zero significance.

If I say Exeggutor is Psychic and Grass, or I say Articuno is Flying and Ice, or I say Turtonator is Dragon and Fire, I am CORRECT.

The anime has been so different from the games for more than 20 years so I don't understand why you're getting upset about it now. Furthermore, even within this generation it's been consistent with the first two Grand Trials which Ash did before finishing all trials, so if anything way back during the Hala fight should have been when you overreacted in this way, and you should have expected it since then for the remainder of the generation!

This I can fully agree on.

I disagree. It was 1on1. The final battle will be more than 1 Pokémon. The 1on1 nature alone makes it different.

Only a true nonbeliever would say this.

Similarly, Clemont's appearances in XY63 and 65 were unnecessary, and they only did them because at the time they hadn't conceived of the idea of main characters not appearing in every episode. I hope this can continue to future generations.
why is ash vs hala the most jarring important battle in the history of the show?

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I don't understand.
It's a reference to the Bloody Mary myth, the one that says she'll appear when her name is said repeatedly into a mirror. Beetlejuice ran on that logic, limiting it down to three utterances of his name, and it doesn't have to be to a mirror. The latter's arguably more famous. At some point, it ended up becoming an aspect of all ghosts; that they'll appear when their name is said three consecutive times.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
This time they didn't even pretend to do either trial.

What do you think Team Rocket were doing in the previous episode?

I don't think all Mimikyu are supposed to hate Pikachu. After all, the reason Mimikyu wears that Pikachu-like cloth is because it wants to be loved like Pikachu. In other words, it wants to be Pikachu. Jessie's Mimikyu is an exception, with its bloodthirsty hatred of all Pikachu.

Thanks. Understood.

Exactly. Pokemon are individuals, especially so in the anime, where they are constantly given human-like traits that would make no sense on what are essentially animals.

One member does not define the species as a whole.

Gotcha. I didn't think that one was defining the species but I thought it was in its dex entry and that was defining everyone, and since it was the only one I had seen I thought they were all that way. Thanks, your explanation makes sense.

why is ash vs hala the most jarring important battle in the history of the show?

because no one was there. It didn't even feel important.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
What do you think Team Rocket were doing in the previous episode?

That episode had nothing to do with the Ghost Trial. It just had Team Rocket fighting a Gengar. No inspiration was taken from the actual trial. Last week's episode where Ash and Pikachu battled Jessie's Mimikyu at the abandoned Mega Mart seems to be where they pretended to do the Trial.

Vipsoccermaster

A fine episode. Tough loss for Ash, for once he saw Lycanroc got dirty, there was no way to control Lycanroc. He knew he was going to lose, and Nanu even predicted correctly, and he even toyed Ash.

Secret conversation between Nanu, Giovanni, and Team Rocket...who knows what they might be scheming about in regards to "The Blinding One?"

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Kiawe, if you want to enter the league, you need to DO trials. Ash has already beaten you even if he wasn't a native, and you used to be ahead by one trial.

Ash: I'm here for my trial!

Nanu: You're not ready yet.

Oh, for god's sake. Even if it was a joke, it was in poor taste considering how little Ash hadn't fought much.

Ash, if you want to avoid such embarrassing defeats, maybe you shouldn't pit a Rock-type against a Ground-type.

...Also, it's kind of weird debris was actually going to hit spectators. There have been SO many much worse instances of rocks flying everywhere that should hit someone nearby, but it never happened.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Kiawe, if you want to enter the league, you need to DO trials. Ash has already beaten you even if he wasn't a native, and you used to be ahead by one trial.

It's not yet been clarified by Professor Kukui I believe that the Island Challenge and the league are connected. It may seem obvious to us as the audience but that's not what's been said at all.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Well, that's kind of even worse. ANYONE can enter.

Even Mallow.
HEY. Don't disrespect my girl Mallow. She won a cooking competition and evolved her Pokémon twice! If anyone should be having the word even before her name it has to be Lana who's done jack.

DatsRight

Mallow didn't really evolve her Pokemon it just sort of happened by plot armour (though fair enough that's how nearly ALL evolutions happen in the show, but its not a great quota as a result). She actually trained her Pokemon all of once in the entire series and all her battles have been jobber beatings where Tsareena mostly did her own thing anyway. She still has zero experience compared to Ash, Kiawe and even Lillie, who has at least had to train for attacks and strategies, so her suddenly being a palpable league opponent would be a complete cop out.

Lana isn't a great deal better, but she did at least train to master Hydro Vortex.

It's hard to really judge anyone besides Ash and Kiawe because the others haven't really been in a proper battle that wasn't a completely one sided beating against a jobber like Team Rocket. They also tried to play off Serena as being a worthy contest battler with the same quota at the end of XY, where she was randomly able to pull off good strategy and defence tactics.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Dude only you would take a friendly banter that was clearly a joke and write 3 serious paragraphs.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
I'm not sure why but Acerola seems very likable. Maybe it was because she made a funny face or because she works in a library? That is the impression I get.

When they were playing with the Meowths it occured to me that Pikachu is a mouse like creature. I wonder how come the cats in Pokemon do not try to eat the mice? I can picture a bird type eating a bug but would it be strange for a Meowth to try eating a Pikachu? Could it be because the Pikachus are too big or due to nature giving them electric powers to keep the wild Meowths away?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'm not sure why but Acerola seems very likable.

I like her better than all the companions combined.

When they were playing with the Meowths it occured to me that Pikachu is a mouse like creature. I wonder how come the cats in Pokemon do not try to eat the mice? I can picture a bird type eating a bug but would it be strange for a Meowth to try eating a Pikachu? Could it be because the Pikachus are too big or due to nature giving them electric powers to keep the wild Meowths away?

The entire premise of the episode XY79 was based on the cat&mouse concept.