• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thought just occurred to me.

Kim62

Hello
If each different type of Pokemon is a Species and Pokemon would be a kind of Domain. Then what kind of Kingdoms, Phylum's, Classes, Orders, Families, and Geniuses are there.

I know it's silly to mix science with Pokemon but I'm curious to how this all works. Are types actually kingdoms? Are the families the evolution lines?

Discuss.

Last edited:

Moonlapse Vertigo

Wisps of Lumience
Water-dwellers, land-dwellers, and sky-dwellers could be the three predominant kingdoms, dividing them up accordingly:

Water
I. Ocean
II. Freshwater Lakes/Rivers/etc
III. Saltwater Lakes/Rivers/etc

Land
I. Aboveground
II. Underground

Sky
I. Tropospheric
II. Stratospheric
III. Mesospheric and higher

...It makes sense to me, anyway. *shrug*

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Oh hey, it's this thread again.

Well, the last one is dead by now, so I guess it's okay.

And I wouldn't call types kingdoms, what with all the dual types there are.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
This has a thread somewhere......anyway u can its not so hard to do if u set em up using a poke's main types as the base for each class/species.

Kim62

Hello
Actually I think the last thread was what groups a Pokemon would fall under.

That thread didn't speculate what the various kingdoms and families for Pokemon would be.

All grass types are like plants so maybe grass type is the plant Kingdom.

Then there can be pokemon suited for a special landscape as in ocean, forest, cave etc.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I go by breeding groups, it helps to get species seperated, I also think pokemon in the same Breeding groups are related through an ancient species or somthing along those lines.

Silverline

Frontier Outcast
Kinda reminds me of a fanfic I once read. Basically, there was the kingdom of Pokemon and the Kingdom of Man. While I don't doubt that there would be different kingdoms for certain groups of Pokemon (I could easily see Groundon and Kyorge leading Earth and Water groups respectively.) I think a vast majority would simply live in peace with each other in that kind of situation.

Erienne

Anime high :D
I think that there are no groupings, considering the Mew story says that all Pokemon descend from it, making them each part of the same species. In addition, it wouldn't work well, since one of the definitions of a species is that it can breed with another of the same species, and its characteristics are different enough from other animals as well. Since Pokemon like Wailord, who is a whale, can reproduce with Skitty, a cat, and produce offspring that can breed, that would make them part of the same species. Which is obviously not true. :p

Leech Seed

Opponent was seeded!
No, types aren't kingdoms... Did you fail 5th-grade biology or something? Even within each type there are different kingdoms - the Grass type is the best example, as it holds both plants and reptiles (Tropius, Treecko, Chikorita, etc). Likewise with other types, there can be things like foxes in different types (Eevee is normal, its evolutions have different types, Vulpix, etc). There are no types that are one single Class; Normal-types are mostly mammals, but they also have things like Porygon, Ditto, Kecleon, etc. so that doesn't work either.

Even if you try to break Pokemon up into something as small as classes it doesn't fit. Some Pokemon are based off of inanimate objects (Wobbuffet, Shuppet, Unown), ghosts, rocks, and other things that were never alive in the first place and thus do not fit into a scientific classification model. Others are combination of animals that aren't even in the same class (Gligar is a "scorpion bat"; scorpions are arachnids, bats are mammals). And obviously the breeding groups don't help, because... HSOWA. Egh.

Fact is: biology + magical fictional creatures = no.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
that's why I'm saying the breeding groups are the best thing we have to deciphering a speicie's relation to another's because the games will probally never address that, save for minor thing's like Bidoof's platinum dex's mention of Bidoof and Rattatta, and the pokedex tends to be un reliable when region to region comparisons are made.

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
All Pokemon would fall into the animal kingdom, and their types would probably be the phylums. After that it'd probably be based off of their habitat, feeding, appearance, etc.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
All Pokemon would fall into the animal kingdom, and their types would probably be the phylums. After that it'd probably be based off of their habitat, feeding, appearance, etc.

Even pokemon clearly based off plants, such as Cacturne or Cherrim?

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
Even pokemon clearly based off plants, such as Cacturne or Cherrim?

Damn, forgot about those. Well I suppose they'd still be considered animals since they can move around freely and are conscious and are capable of interaction.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Hell, where does Deoxys end up?

ar25

man with a plan.
kingdoms could be digimon, pokemon, yugioh,etc.

Synthetic

I would think pokemon is a kingdom, the types are phylems (which is a little weird, I suppose, but it's pokemon and supposedly they're all descended from Mew anyway). That's how I've always seen it.

Given that this is just a game, we don't have all the details like evolutionary history and it seems to me virtually every pokemon and its evolution relatives (the charizard line, the blaziken line for example) is a stand alone species who represents a prototype pokemon (or possibly the earliest definite evolution of that species) that in real life would be far more varied because of its location. Darwin's finches spring to mind, here. So a charizard as we see them in the franchise is a pokemon which closest resembles all things that make up a charizard; its movepool, physiology, power and all that, but if you consider them in the real world, they would be much more varied, taking the basic physiology of the charizard and picking aspects of its dex texts and movepool to fit the environment its in.

That raises the question of where the rest of the branches it into all of this, and I think that is where the breeding groups can come in. Having said that, I'm not so terribly familiar with the breeding groups and have not studied them in depth.

It's very interesting to think about, anyway.

GalladeX

Water-dwellers, land-dwellers, and sky-dwellers could be the three predominant kingdoms, dividing them up accordingly:

Water
I. Ocean
II. Freshwater Lakes/Rivers/etc
III. Saltwater Lakes/Rivers/etc

Land
I. Aboveground
II. Underground

Sky
I. Tropospheric
II. Stratospheric
III. Mesospheric and higher

...It makes sense to me, anyway. *shrug*