• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts about Paul

dub Paul

• I like him

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • I hate him

Votes: 10 18.2%

• Total voters

Ashy Boy

Paul's #1 Rival
I understand that Paul (Shinji) has only appeared in two of the three first episodes of the D/P dub, but what are your thoughts about him?

To me, even though he's a very formidable rival of Ash, Paul is a typical jerk who has no respect for Pokemon in general and especially Ash & Co.

Last edited:

scizor08

Back here. >.<
I guess he's really bad, but he seems cool..

Medea

Excalibur
Honestly, I really don't like him. I didn't care much about him when I saw the Japanese version and the feeling is mutual with the dub. I don't know! My opinion might change over time (like with Drew). But seriously doubt it.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
The fact that he has little respect for anyone is why I like him.

freakin_chicken

i like him because Ash finnaly has a real rival. besides Gary at the time he was a trainer, Ash doesn't have any good rivals.

TheHolyShoe

Shinji is really a nice rival for Satoshi. Shigeru was the last real rival he had and the only really had three battles within the show. Plus, Shigeru, while being disrespectful to Satoshi, always seemed to possess a degree of respect for all of his Pokemon and a desire to train them. In that respect, he was similar to Satoshi, though not the same. With Shinji, their theories involving capturing, training, and battling with Pokemon are completely opposite. It'll be fun seeing those two clash. Plus, he has "Shi" in his name. That = win already. ^^

Last edited:

DEMONCAMERUPT

;ord of pokebattles
The fact that he has little respect for anyone is why I like him.

The reason he has little respect for anyone is why i hate him so i hope he gets his butt handed to him on a plate by Ash if not the next time they meet then maybe at the League.

Ashy Boy

Paul's #1 Rival
Shinji is really a nice rival for Satoshi. Shigeru was the last real rival he had and the only really had three battles within the show. Plus, Shigeru, while being disrespectful to Satoshi, always seemed to possess a degree of respect for all of his Pokemon and a desire to train them. In that respect, he was similar to Satoshi, though not the same. With Shinji, their theories involving capturing, training, and battling with Pokemon are completely opposite. It'll be fun seeing those two clash. Plus, he has "Shi" in his name. That = win already. ^^

Actually now that you mentioned about Gary (Shigeru) I can remember the old Indigo eps where he would enjoy humiliating Ash and even after losing in both the Indigo and Johto leagues he still has a bit (if not a lot) of cockiness inside him.

As for Paul, I don't know if this was mentioned, but he is the Kaiba of Pokemon, because of his cold attitude that most of you seem to enjoy.

TheHolyShoe

Actually now that you mentioned about Gary (Shigeru) I can remember the old Indigo eps where he would enjoy humiliating Ash and even after losing in both the Indigo and Johto leagues he still has a bit (if not a lot) of cockiness inside him.

As for Paul, I don't know if this was mentioned, but he is the Kaiba of Pokemon, because of his cold attitude that most of you seem to enjoy.

Well, that's true. Thing is though that aside from Shigeru - who's rivalry with Satoshi turned into friendship - none of his rivals have ever been someone who really clashes with. His more recent ones have all been characters introduced just before the league who share Satoshi's views and such things. That's fine and all, but none of them really has much going on for them. They just show up and that's it. No real backstory. I'm hoping we'll get some development from Shinji. Maybe a reason why he views Pokemon as he does.

Also, I think that Shinji could really be a great tool for motivating/developing Satoshi. As I said, his other rivals were league rivals that he was fast friends with. While that's great and all, it's not the most motivating force. Shigeru had that sort of potential too but it wasn't ever really realized fully. With Shinji here and playing such a prominent roll within the first few episodes and gym battle, you have a character that can really push Satoshi to go a little further and train harder. And, within the league itself, there wouldn't just be that "I want to do the best I can in this fight with my friend" feeling, there would be the "I want to win." sensation, which is something I think that Satoshi has really lacked in the various competitions. Erf yeah, I'm a pretty big Satoshi fan, so I see alot of potential development for both characters, if done right.

Crystal Clair

I think Shinji's awesome! His training style is really unique in the anime. And I love how snobby and jerky he is.

my inner fangirl says:
OMG Shinji's like sooo hot! He's a jerk and a snob but he does it right and that's what makes it so sexy. And his tough guy/bishounen look, it's the perfect combo!
[spoil] I bet he's great in bed too[/spoil]

TygerFlash

OVER 9000
For some reason, I thought he was going to be a Drew-clone when I first saw him. I was quickly proven wrong at the first apperance. Thank god.

Now, I thank the writers fo not writing finally writing a non goody-goody character on this show. Now if one of the main groups characters weren't so good-hearted, I'll be very happy.

Paul's better than nothing though.

So I like him.

007 Dude

Paki Pride!
I'm unsure since I hate his attitude(know-it-all jerk) but I like him as a rival for Ash.

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
The only thing I don't like about Paul is the voice PUSA gave him...its much too old sounding for someone who supposedly just started out. Other than that, he's a great character...just what Ash needs.

TogeticTheRuler

I like shinji, he is a cool rival, but I can`t help feeling bad for both him and the pokemon he releases T_T and his voice IMO restored a bad voice a certain girl that replaced May has.

WaterKrystal

Master Coordinator
I like Shinji, he is pretty much opposite Ash. He's a jerk, doesn't seem to care about anything, but winning (but that makes him that much cooler, IMO), just everything about that "look at me, I'm a huge jerk, who doesn't give a rattata's behind about Pokemon or anybody else" just makes him very interesting to watch.

It's nice getting to see somebody who isn't totally all "let's get to it" or "let's be happy" all the time attitude, it makes things more interesting when the rival (or anybody) isn't all like that, it gives it some kind of spice, IMO.

Last edited:

DoubleJG3288

ポケモンはすごい!!
Cool attitude, but Gary is still my favorite.

I can't accept Paul as a cool character because I used to have a friend named Paul that I now hate.. -_-