1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Ash having finally won a Pokemon League.

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by shoz999, Sep 15, 2019.

1. UltimateNinja

UltimateNinja ~Ice Cold~

What I noticed:

End of the Kanto league (First loss): Episode 82
    End of the Alola league (First Win): Episode 1082

See you in episode 2082 where he becomes Pokemon Master.

2. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Tsundere Girl

He also almost lost to Hau in a similar way he lost to Ritchie.

3. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

That almost felt like them pointing out their own inaccuracies in his first league to compare to his winning one. Yeah it was kind of mean for poor Hau, but they weren't gonna bend the rules just to make sure Ash lost anymore.

Also note that Ash won this one just a week short of the anniversary of winning the Orange League, in a similar tropical paradise with weird quirks and inhabitants like regionally altered Pokemon.

4. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

I actually thought the same exact thing but didn’t know how to word it!

5. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Kanae, Keeper of the Gates Emblazoned

Ah, yes, reddit, a bastion of objectivity.

Can't wait for the flashbacks to the very first, say, Sinnoh and Kalos Leagues just being like 8 people kicking around in a random field and deciding to hold a tournament and call the winner the Champion of the region.

The League is objectively a League in universe, whether you like it or not, and that's all that matters.

6. Power Up

Power Up ...

What, and you think CNN and celebs and people on Twitter are one? Did I even imply the people on Reddit were being objective? Was that even in the conversation?

Let me know when those flashbacks actually happen. Cause they haven’t yet.

Notice my specific usage of words, in relation to past leagues. And like it or not, context does matter

J.Agera and mehmeh1 like this.
  7. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

It's hard to take some people seriously when they praise/hate something they haven't even watched or even imply something is better just because of the amount of episodes lmao

J.Agera, DuquÊ? and Power Up like this.
  8. Sham

Sham On the right road

We don’t know Hau’s team because most of the battles were one on one and badges don’t exist in Alola. As far as the narrative; Hau was challenging trials.

Why throw subliminals? All he said was that it was incredible that it was 12 episodes and literally said his opinion could be positive/negative when he actually watches it.

9. CMButch

CMButch Well-Known Member

2082: E4
    3082: Champion
    4082: Master Lol

Thumbs2, J.Agera and TheWanderingMist like this.
  10. anjunajake

anjunajake you were the sun & moon to me

Couldn't be more proud and happy. This is a real league whether people want to consider it one or not. I hope this isn't the end of Ash's Journey, and I hope if they do take him to Galar that he carries himself more like a champion and that he's held to a bit higher standard, even at the beginning of the region.

It was also so cool seeing all the praise all over twitter from new sites, celebs, and just random people on social media. This was a huge deal!!

11. Blue Saturday

Blue Saturday too fly

• The Alola League is a canon league from the Sun&Moon and Ultra Sun&Moon games.
    • The marketing treats it as a real league.
    • The in-universe narrative and characters treat it as a real league.
    • Rica Matsumoto, Satoshi’s seiyuu herself, treats it as a real league.
    • The summaries ask whether Satoshi will finally win his “first league.”
    • All of these important news outlets across the globe treat it as a real league.
    If it looks like a duck, quacks likes a duck, walk likes a duck...guess what? It doesn’t matter the quality of its actual handling which is up for discussion, nothing changes this is the first league Satoshi has won and its being written in history as his first step toward becoming a Pokemon Master. You can be unhappy about Sun&Moon all you want just know this will always have marked its place in Pokemon anime history as the first huge accomplishment for the main character no matter where he goes from this point.

Satoshi is the Alola League Champion.

12. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Kanae, Keeper of the Gates Emblazoned

Here's your context that you're actively choosing to ignore. These are entirely objective. Denying them is like denying that the Moon exists.

13. Dragalge

Dragalge Naganadel

It’s mostly just the “I don’t like this so this isn’t real” thing coming from the dreadful wastelands called Reddit/Youtube comments anyway.

“But if MY favorite thing happens, it’s obviously real!” also part of this!

14. what do you mean? he lost to ritchie because charizard wasn't obeying him, he had no disobedient pokemon at the time of the alola league

mehmeh1 likes this.
  15. Power Up

Power Up ...

Ever heard the phrase, putting lipstick on a pig?

I’ve never once actually ignored any of this. I actually say as much in several of my posts in other threads. I’ve always considered a lot of those bullet points to be artificial, but I’ve also always acknowledged it to be there. Dig up some of my previous posts if you want to.

You know what’s also objective? That this tournament didn’t have barrier entries, it didn’t have 6v6s, etc...

That runs diametrically opposed to the in-universe narrative of the past regions and leagues. One of those points, the third one is the strongest argument in favor of this tournament and it’s the reason why I’ve said this league is of separate value and stature because of that. In terms of Alola’s narrative it is, in terms of the overall narrative it’s an entirely different thing

Nothing will change that either

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    J.Agera and Akkipeddi like this.
  16. Pokegirl Fan~

The ref made a poor call when Butterfree used sleep powder on Squirtle by declaring that it was knocked out of the match, which contributed to the loss. Sounds awfully familiar to the Rowlet situation in this league.

17. CMButch

CMButch Well-Known Member

@LilligantLewis Sorry but number of episodes don't determine quality/importance of a league over another. You said Kalos has 2 battles which if he won it wouldn't feel like a league... Sorry but that doesn't make much sense.

J.Agera and Xuxuba like this.
  18. Pokegirl Fan~

As for this league it's pretty average imo, I liked that other main characters other than Ash could participate in it and I'm hoping that Ash's win in this league will help set up a plot for the next series.

LilligantLewis and CMButch like this.
  19. shoz999

shoz999 IT WAS ME! SETETH!

Pokemon Adventures RGB literally just has two battles "on-screen" of it's Pokemon League and most readers I've known think it's ten times better than the majority of the leagues that the anime has. When talking about the quality and importance of a league in the anime, the number of episodes really doesn't matter that much.

J.Agera and CMButch like this.
  20. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi The Great Seal

Since the topic of number of league episodes came up, I'm going to say something potentially even more unpopular: the Alola league felt far too long. I get that they wanted to focus on more characters, but it was pretty evident that they dragged the matches on since there was so much padding, especially in the top 8 rounds and beyond which made it boring and affected the battles (majority of the battles in the league ranged from terrible to half-decent). This league could have definitely been finished in 10 episodes.

To me, and ideal league length and structure would be like the Sinnoh League, at 8 episodes, maybe 9 if Ash had reached the final in Sinnoh.

Ignition, shoz999, J.Agera and 3 others like this.