• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on Ash having finally won a Pokemon League.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Ya'll I still can't believe it. I keep looking at reactions and watching it over and over and get excited every time lol.
If it hadn't been spoiled, I wonder how much bigger the reaction would have been. Even though it was spoiled, my first reaction was just shock.

Red and Blue

If it hadn't been spoiled, I wonder how much bigger the reaction would have been. Even though it was spoiled, my first reaction was just shock.
It would have been colossal. Heck even on Thursday there were articles going around of Ash's victory

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Meh

The league he should have won was Johto IMO. His character arc truly ended in Johto and most of the key plot points that were established in season one were wrapped up by the end of Johto. That was the time for him to win the league then and shifted into a different role, while a new lead takes over for AG.
You meant kanto league? As he was practically base on Gen 1'SRed (loosely tho) and reduce the some game plotting for what for super stupid deep plot that shudõ left after mess that infamous ep hurt kids ?

game3524

You meant kanto league? As he was practically base on Gen 1'SRed (loosely tho) and reduce the some game plotting for what for super stupid deep plot that shudõ left after mess that infamous ep hurt kids ?

No, I mean't Johto.

His character arc ended at the end of Johto.

Redstar45

No, I mean't Johto.

His character arc ended at the end of Johto.
Ehh Jouto arc wasn't that great to starting with after orange islands arc

SatoSereFan224888

He finally did it! He was the only trainer worthy of winning the Alola League. I think he should step aside for a new hero in the anime now he finally won a Pokemon league.

Redstar45

He finally did it! He was the only trainer worthy of winning the Alola League. I think he should step aside for a new hero in the anime now he finally won a Pokemon league.
There is a problem with that as his story is not done yet

DatsRight

If I'm being 100% honest, I still think he should've won the Kalos League. It felt so much more hype and the pieces were all falling into place. That said, I'm pretty sure the backlash of him losing the Kalos League was what lead to him winning the Alolan League so I guess silver linings and all that. The Alolan League also didn't feel particularly big. Much like the rest of the Alolan season, it felt very...... I'm not sure how to put it. I don't wanna say sluggish or relaxed. Not really boring either. More unhype. Like, here's a league, have fun with it. Here's Ash winning a league, now please leave us alone. It didn't feel like an earned moment. I don't know. I'm happy about it though. If nothing else, this has been a factor for far to long and it's about time he won a league.

Same really. It's like between XY and SM all these supposed taboos became old news and the writers just quickly swept through them to show they were now breakable. It just didn't seem at all interested into playing that hype train anymore (though maybe for good reason since it backfired HORRIBLY for XY). It leaves me further convinced that something key is happening in Galar that is making all this stuff small potatoes.

That said I think the fact SM pretty laid out all this stuff nonchalantly is part why it has worked and why it doesn't feel forced in or shilled over everything else. I mean let's count all the things this league has had that are game changers:

* First games-based league that Ash has won.
* First league where a companion took part (all five Alola companions for that matter).
* First league where an antagonist battle occurred (Guzma, also technically Team Rocket).
* First league where a main character has used a mythical or higher tier Pokemon (two in fact, Meltan and Shaymin, three if you count Gladion with Silvally).
* First league where a character has used a wild Pokemon (Shaymin).
* First league all of Ash's rivals originated from the games.
* First league that is THE first league of the region.

That's a whole lotta firsts, and it's not even counting elements like all the main characters having access to the region gimmick and a companion getting further than Ash did in some previous leagues. Now imagine how absurd it would have been if the show pushed and milked ALL that stuff like crazy in promotion. The more humble and succinct storytelling was the saving grace and allowed to focus on character development.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Have you tried drinking warm milk before going to bed?
IDK about GarchompTheAssassin, but I'm more of a tea guy myself.
As for me, I pretty much reacted the same way as Ash did, after everything that had happened, it took a bit for the win to sink in

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Sure it's a significant moment in the narrative context of the anime since its something that has not been done for 22 years, yet, I can't even force myself to even feel anything about this.

Sun and Moon in general has been such a terrible series in my eyes that it sapped away any sort of enthusiasm in me. Add to the fact that this 'league' is still very divisive, and I've maintained my opinion on how I'm not a fan that this was essentially a free for all tournament where 80% were scrubs. Battle quality ranged from mediocre to half-decent, majority were 1 vs 1 (with tons of padding), and even the semis and finals were only 2 vs 2 and 3 vs 3 which just makes the overall victory seem less significant.

Also, this league basically felt like it was tailor made for Ash, rather than a genuine league with top trainers that Ash had to overcome to prove himself as the best. And as others have said which I'll not go further into, AG, DP or XY should've really been where he won given the tone of those series, and how the league was essentially his main goal since the start, instead of being a sudden event more than halfway through the series.

So to sum up, yes, significant moment in the context of the anime, but a very underwhelming series and moment to actually do this.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Sure it's a significant moment in the narrative context of the anime since its something that has not been done for 22 years, yet, I can't even force myself to even feel anything about this.

Sun and Moon in general has been such a terrible series in my eyes that it sapped away any sort of enthusiasm in me. Add to the fact that this 'league' is still very divisive, and I've maintained my opinion on how I'm not a fan that this was essentially a free for all tournament where 80% were scrubs. Battle quality ranged from mediocre to half-decent, majority were 1 vs 1 (with tons of padding), and even the semis and finals were only 2 vs 2 and 3 vs 3 which just makes the overall victory seem less significant.

Also, this league basically felt like it was tailor made for Ash, rather than a genuine league with top trainers that Ash had to overcome to prove himself as the best. And as others have said which I'll not go further into, AG, DP or XY should've really been where he won given the tone of those series, and how the league was essentially his main goal since the start, instead of being a sudden event more than halfway through the series.

So to sum up, yes, significant moment in the context of the anime, but a very underwhelming series and moment to actually do this.
Have you tried doing stretches before going to bed?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I view it the same I do the Orange League. The Battle Frontier is still the best accomplishment, those are all actual powerful opponents and Ash's wins actually felt earned!
It would have been better if Ash's first two fights weren't basically gags. Meltan ate metal and Faba basically lost immediately, now if it was just that... I could forgive it. But then they had to go and let Ash win against Hau even though he should have been out. The Guzma and Gladion battles were great, yes. But half of Ash's fights here made his overall win feel lackluster. Not to mention we're not seeing Ash fight the Elite Four or the Champion, something every fan has wanted to see and the writers tease with "If you win the League, we can battle! :p".

I just hope this is a sign that Ash will win the Galar League, and we get to see him have a proper fight with an Elite Four member and perhaps even Leon! Imagine Ash coming close to defeating Diantha in an actual champion battle, instead of some random battle which gave a lot of false hope and hype. That.... was just terrible. 'Hey look, Greninja can almost take out Gardevoir!' 'Oh no, Greninja just lost thrice in a row!' ....

I'd love to see Ash bring back his full arsenal too, his Galar team can have the finals but it'd be nice to see Ash's Charizard defend the title of strongest Charizard by stomping Leon's!

shoz999

Just hit me. I'm sure you guys have seen this but some people don't see this as the end of Ash's adventures but a step to become Pokemon Master. That is so funny to be honest, now I'm imagining the Pokemon Company panicking what to do next, asking themselves what a "Pokemon Master" is because the whole "Pokemon Master" thing has never really been conceptualized and if we see an Ash going after a goal that's not really there, the story quality is only going to suffer even more.

All the more reason why a reboot makes sense because this gives the Pokemon Company to not only do Ash's journey properly but also to gain more time in order to further reinforce and conceptualize what a Pokemon Master is in the anime canon anyway.

Redstar45

Just hit me. I'm sure you guys have seen this but some people don't see this as the end of Ash's adventures but a step to become Pokemon Master. That is so funny to be honest, now I'm imagining the Pokemon Company panicking what to do next, asking themselves what a "Pokemon Master" is because the whole "Pokemon Master" thing has never really been conceptualized and if we see an Ash going after a goal that's not really there, the story quality is only going to suffer even more.

All the more reason why a reboot makes sense because this gives the Pokemon Company to not only do Ash's journey properly but also to gain more time in order to further reinforce and conceptualize what a Pokemon Master is in the anime canon anyway.
Anime don't usually do reboot......then you had to use electric tail of pikachu manga to rebooting and the Pokemon anime show

shoz999

Anime don't usually do reboot......then you had to use electric tail of pikachu manga to rebooting and the Pokemon anime show
Older anime and even some older manga often do get reboots/remakes in order to reel in and secure a new audience by introducing them the beginning of the story instead of continuing a long-running story that newer and newer fans may have a hard time getting into.