• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on Ash having finally won a Pokemon League.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I wonder how Kathleen McInerney, aka Veronica Taylor for those who know her by her professional name, the original voice actress of dubbed Ash, feels about this? I know she personally enjoyed playing the role of Ash.

She loved it, she reacted to it on twitter and even made a video in Ash's voice congratulating Ash.

Sham

The Guardian of War
If the trend continues i think by the time when ash won next league i would be nearing be past half century in age department.

Now that you mention it, i wonder how many people here weren't even born when ash started his journey in episode 1.
I’m sure a lot of people started watching DP and later.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
This is going to be a long one:

I made it clear a long time ago, back in 2016, that the Kalos League set the bar so high that the only acceptable way to follow up that League is to simply break the ceiling and have Ash wins. There was no going back to Top 4s or Top 8s. Heck, even the Runner-Up position was simply not a feasible option for me. I originally had no hope for the Alola League to top the Kalos League, and I thought it would be the anime's best interest to simply not make an Alola League at all. I was not willingly to go through another Kalos League hype and backlash.

Then I had a epiphany in November 2016. Way too many people have placed their judgment not on character or their actions, but rather on their results in a zero-sum fashion. If you win, you were a winner and the best. If you only make it second place, however, then you were a loser and that's final. No dispute or critique. I realized what was the problem.

Why do people care so much about the League title and trophy? Do they not see that Ash doesn't need them to prove that he's a master trainer by his own right? The answer I got (several times across different sites and forums) was that, apparently, winning the Pokémon League would make Ash into a Pokémon Master and if Ash becomes a Pokémon Master, the show would end. And then they cite this interview back in 2008 as proof. From cynics to naysayers to even casual fans, the notion was that the League Victory for Ash was the end of his journey.

The more I thought about it, the more angry I became and the more I wanted the anime to prove this misconception wrong. That interview didn't say "If Ash wins the League, the show is over." The interview stated that "when Ash becomes a Pokemon Master, the show will end." And Ash had made it clear that he never saw the League as the endgame. He saw it as a step to become a Pokémon Master. And I Choose You, Ash stated that a Pokémon Master is far greater than the strongest Pokémon trainer in the world. The League was not the end. It never was. And yet people believed otherwise. So how do you disprove this misconception? You have Ash win the League and still travel to the next region seeking new challenges.

And thus, when Professor Kukui brought up his plans for a League, I had only one wish: To see Ash win that League no matter how it's set up or how Ash would get there. Now I often joked about Ash winning the Alola League would send the fandom into shock (which I wanted to see) and that the goalposts would be moved to maintain the tired meme of Ash never winning but deep down, I was serious about seeing Ash win. I wanted him to prove that winning a League would not stop his journey. That's more to being a Pokémon Master than being Champion.

Now was the Alola League much easier to do? Yes. Was Ash's Alola team not as great as the Kalos team? Yes. Were some of the battles comedic or poorly written? Yes. Was the final battle small and anticlimactic for Ash to win his first League? Yes. But I didn't care. What mattered to me was seeing that tired old "Ash never wins" meme and "League Victory" misconception being buried deep down in the grave. Ash had already proved himself to be worthy to any regional League champion by the end of XY. What SM did was hammer that fact.

I know a lot of people out there are expecting Ash to leave now, feeling that because he won a league his journey should be over.

As much as I want him to be replaced, now doesn't feel like that time for me.

he may have won, but I don't feel satisfied with the win, I get that this league can be "excused" because it was the first one, but it was lacking one thing, that most of the previous leagues had.

Intensity, sure we may have gotten some here and there during this, but not enough for it to be fulfilling, and no winning and losing doesn't detract from that factor.

Charizard vs Blaziken
Ash vs Paul
Ash-Greninja vs Mega Sceptile as examples.

Those fights were all intensive, win or lose they drew me in, I want Ash to win a league that is filled with fights of that caliber, and then I will be satisfied enough for him to go. (well deal with TR as well.)

Oh I don't want him replaced (for the time being anyways). I just want Ash to face new challenges that isn't the same old forumla used in the previous series beforehand.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't have much of a reaction in all honesty. I'm somewhat relieved that he won if only because it means that he's guaranteed to battle Kukui-hakase in the exhibition match, but to me Satoshi winning a major League was never really that important, so his recent victory just feels sort of empty to me. I'll be over it by next week most likely.

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
I don't really feel much. I mean I am happy that he won but at the same time it felt like damage Control for the Kalos League.
I still think Sinnoh and Kalos were better places for him to win and would feel much more genuine.

Meh

The league he should have won was Johto IMO. His character arc truly ended in Johto and most of the key plot points that were established in season one were wrapped up by the end of Johto. That was the time for him to win the league then and shifted into a different role, while a new lead takes over for AG.

Meh.

Johto wasn't even that good to begin with. While I agree the buildup was enough to end his character for that time.

Last edited:

CPerry

I have watched the anime since being a child, yes I am the standard 90's baby who loves Pokemon more than anything else. Bought every single game + side-title, watched every film and every episode UNTIL Sun and Moon started. I am furious how dorky and stupid they made my favourite character, it is ridiculous. This series will forever and always be the 'Orange Islands' of modern times. Simply rubbish. This league doesn't count, it's an Archipelago just like the Orange islands, also doesn't involve badges like the battle frontier (which was awesome!). It's a new league with a low level of talent in a holiday destination, doesn't count.

I really hope the writers and animators step up their game and make the next series worth watching again when I will be back to being fully invested. I don't like how people are saying Ash should move on, why? Because Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh and a few other animes did? I'd rather see them invest some time and effort into making him likeable again. The Ash from the first first few series and movies is not the same as this clown. They need to fix that.

Closing thoughts, this league doesn't count; looking forward to a bigger, bolder, proper league in which he does well and develops as a character.

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
I have mixed feelings about this.
On one hand, I'm glad that Ash won the League because he deserves it.

On the other hand, it's a series that I wasn't invested in and I really don't like the direction that they took with the Sun/Moon series. I'd prefer if he won the League in Sinnoh or Kalos.

CPerry

I said I've stopped watching it. It's not a real league. It's like going on holiday and your family win a football game against some other people on their holiday. Doesn't mean I won the premier league. It's a bad joke.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think that his winning the Orange Island League should count as a win. Yeah it’s not quite an official League but it should still count. I mean Pikachu managed to take out a Dragonite that single handedly KO three of Ash’s Pokemon and had an incredibly strong Hyper Beam. This is the same Dragonite that took out Charizard Who was the strongest Pokémon Ash had at the time with Pikachu being the second. I just don’t understand why people don’t count the Orange League as a win for Ash. He defeated a trainer that was had an unbeatable run until Ash challenged him.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Everyone seems to love that he won the league, I literally see celebrities and sports stars taking time out of their days make twitter and social media post congratulating him. Hell, even CNN and a few other news outlets are congratulating. Even my regular people at my gym in real life happened to be talking about how “Ash finally won a league.” in a casual sense! So even people who don’t follow Pokemon super closely are in awe.

Overall it’s directly the opposite energy of the Kalos League discourse from three years ago. Everyone loves our boy and is showering him with praise, affection, fanart and content. The only negative reception I see is leftovers from XY/Z upset because he didn’t win “their league” but that is what it is. I don’t expect the screeching over the Kalos League to end but I pray these are the last dying yells of Satoshi-Gekkouga, Alan and Lizardon-X nonsense and SWSH/S&M continue to usher forward a more receptive-era for Pokemon anime.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

Please stop complaining that this isn't a real league. If you don't like, don't watch it, don't complain. It isn't so hard. Stop watching the anime, if you can't accept this Ash, because this is pokemon too
I mean, i don't think it is a fake league, but what you said about either "stop complaining or stop watching" is a false dilemma fallacy. Also, the thread literally asked what their opinions were, so it seems counterproductive to ask them to shut up.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Everyone seems to love that he won the league, I literally see celebrities and sports stars taking time out of their days make twitter and social media post congratulating him. Hell, even CNN and a few other news outlets are congratulating. Even my regular people at my gym in real life happened to be talking about how “Ash finally won a league.” in a casual sense! So even people who don’t follow Pokemon super closely are in awe.

Overall it’s directly the opposite energy of the Kalos League discourse from three years ago. Everyone loves our boy and is showering him with praise, affection, fanart and content. The only negative reception I see is leftovers from XY/Z upset because he didn’t win “their league” but that is what it is. I don’t expect the screeching over the Kalos League to end but I pray these are the last dying yells of Satoshi-Gekkouga, Alan and Lizardon-X.
CNN really is fake news lol. Their headline says that he finally became a Pokemon Master. B/

I think my favorite part is Veronica Taylor (or Sarah) congratulating Rica’s work for Ash in the last 22 years. English and Japanese actresses being nice to each other!

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Somewhere alain, MCX and ash greninja will be taking a long sigh of relief and thanking heavens that he win otherwise they would have to listen to the hate comments even in the future, atleeast that will stop to some extent.

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]

Overall it’s directly the opposite energy of the Kalos League discourse from three years ago. Everyone loves our boy and is showering him with praise, affection, fanart and content. The only negative reception I see is leftovers from XY/Z upset because he didn’t win “their league” but that is what it is. I don’t expect the screeching over the Kalos League to end but I pray these are the last dying yells of Satoshi-Gekkouga, Alan and Lizardon-X nonsense and SWSH/S&M continue to usher forward a more receptive-era for Pokemon anime.
I mean the SM fanbase is provoking them so I don't really blame them for lashing out lmao. "SM Ash is superior" just because he won a league meme is all over twitter.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Somewhere alain, MCX and ash greninja will be taking a long sigh of relief and thanking heavens that he win otherwise they would have to listen to the hate comments even in the future, atleeast that will stop to some extent.
This post somewhat reminds me of the Steve Bartman incident from the 2003 Major League Baseball postseason lol

Xuxuba

I think that his winning the Orange Island League should count as a win. Yeah it’s not quite an official League but it should still count. I mean Pikachu managed to take out a Dragonite that single handedly KO three of Ash’s Pokemon and had an incredibly strong Hyper Beam. This is the same Dragonite that took out Charizard Who was the strongest Pokémon Ash had at the time with Pikachu being the second. I just don’t understand why people don’t count the Orange League as a win for Ash. He defeated a trainer that was had an unbeatable run until Ash challenged him.
Personally, i think Drake felt more like a threat than anyone in this entire League.

Sham

The Guardian of War
The salt is expected that Ash won this league but I still prefer this league to the other one, sorry. I’m more invested in Ash’s and Gladion’s story and the writers actively tried to convince us to root for Ash. I just wish we got to see at least ONE of his friends see him win he league. Oh well.