• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on Ash having finally won a Pokemon League.

Reaction seems to be mixed. On Twitter I see a lot more of congratulatory messages toward Ash, ironically though the first Japanese message said he should have won XY(feel you bro), but on Reddit people are pretty cynical on him winning.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Older anime and even some older manga often do get reboots/remakes in order to reel in and secure a new audience by introducing them the beginning of the story instead of continuing a long-running story that newer and newer fans may have a hard time getting into.
In your own word Pokemon special manga could get reboot ?
It could be fix few issues with the Pokemon special manga during rgby days

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Reaction seems to be mixed. On Twitter I see a lot more of congratulatory messages toward Ash, ironically though the first Japanese message said he should have won XY(feel you bro), but on Reddit people are pretty cynical on him winning.
Not really surprised. A mixed Pokemon adaptation has a good chance of getting a mixed ending or even worst than that. It's why so many Pokemon fans often single out XY because they view it up to this point as Pokemon's last chance of a satisfactory ending, worrying future seasons might live up to the hype. Personally, I'm just glad Ash won. Let's not lie to ourselves, it's annoying to root for a protagonist who constantly loses.

In your own word Pokemon special manga could get reboot ?
Probably if Kusaka or the Pokemon Company decides it. If it does, I'm hoping something as good as JoJo's Steel Ball Run reboot. Oh man, that is an amazing example of a reboot done right, doing something refreshingly new with old characters while maintaining the spirit of the original. Oh man, if they did a Pokemon Adventures reboot that surpasses the story quality of the original featuring a brand new Red that we never seen before but still shows us that this is the same Red we know from the games while focusing and further expanding upon the Pokemon League and Red's friendship with Green & Blue, they could possibly create the greatest Pokemon story ever seen.

Redstar45

Not really surprised. A mixed Pokemon adaptation has a good chance of getting a mixed ending or even worst than that. It's why so many Pokemon fans often single out XY because they view it up to this point as Pokemon's last chance of a satisfactory ending, worrying future seasons might live up to the hype. Personally, I'm just glad Ash won. Let's not lie to ourselves, it's annoying to root for a protagonist who constantly loses.

Probably if Kusaka or the Pokemon Company decides it. If it does, I'm hoping something as good as JoJo's Steel Ball Run reboot. Oh man, that is an amazing example of a reboot done right, doing something refreshingly new with old characters while maintaining the spirit of the original. Oh man, if they did a Pokemon Adventures reboot that surpasses the story quality of the original featuring a brand new Red that we never seen before but still shows us that this is the same Red we know from the games while focusing and further expanding upon the Pokemon League and Red's friendship with Green & Blue, they could possibly create the greatest Pokemon story ever seen.
What if rocket gym leaders is no longer a villain by Pokemon company or tone down darkness in the Pokemon special manga and a red is simply similar to Satoshi who is rookies on Pokemon skill and Blue (f) is nut ?

shoz999

What if rocket gym leaders is no longer a villain by Pokemon company or tone down darkness in the Pokemon special manga and a red is simply similar to Satoshi who is rookies on Pokemon skill and Blue (f) is nut ?
Still would turn out great. The guy writes a better anime-tone story than even the anime writers as seen in the DPPt chapter. Anyways, enough talk about Adventures.

Redstar45

Well i think that Satoshi is still going to be waiting until Pokemon in media slowly die to be a master as he been dream about it .

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
For all our complaints about Sun and Moon and the League itself... it's still a pretty surreal moment to me. Sure it was not the blaze of glory we envisioned I'm sure, but so help me this still feels historic. Also helps that someone pointed out somewhere here that this moment practically references the game itself what with Ash being from the Kanto region and becoming Alola's first ever Champion.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
Where this " writer made ash win for apologizing " came from?
Writer pretty much adapting what game have giving
The kanto kid became first alola champion

doofinc

get rillaboomed
As someone who enjoyed XY(&Z) a lot, and fell off watching SM by around the Rockruff capture episode (but kept up in general about what was happening), I did not really enjoy Ash winning this league. No matter if Ash won or lost this league, it would be controversial because the writers wrote themselves into this corner.

The "no entrance requirement" thing puts a dent into the league's reputation as a whole, but note that Ash did have to face 3 "notable" opponents regardless, that being Hau, Guzma, and Gladion, with Faba being a bit of a filler round. Comparing this to other leagues (Kalos: Sawyer and Alain, Unova: Trip, Cameron, Sinnoh: Nando, Conway, Paul, Tobias), it is still about average, even more than the last 2 leagues. Despite this fact, the league not being a celebration of the best trainers in the region puts a dent into the hype.

My main complaint about the league is the structure of the league. The Battle Royale, while a neat concept and fun to watch, just felt like the only way to get all the students and Team Rocket into the main bracket (unless everyone else really sucks that much). I really liked the idea of having all of his companions participating but I really wish they prepped up his other classmates so that they can feel stronger in the show. I would be down for a longer league with more companions/rivals as long as they are stronger.

Top 16 and Top 8 being 1v1, Top 4 being 2v2, and Finals being 3v3 is a disappointment for battles which is what I watch the show the most for. Also the quality of battles were not up to par compared to previous leagues (really did not like the Hau battle, any battle with Guzma was sick and Gladion vs Ash was pretty good; everything else is meh).

If they made the battles better, I think I would have enjoyed it more. His path wasn't free at all but the battles weren't up to par. Whatever they do in the future relating to a league, I hope they revert it back to previous formats or incorporate better battles.

shoz999

Going by the current trend; I think we’ll all have grown kids the next time he wins one.
"You see back in my day great grandson, our Ash Ketchum didn't had your fancy watchmacallit music. Oh mawn, the nineties were magical Jason. We didn't had your fancy Google or Apple gaming platforms, it was all Nintendo back than and it was awesome. Do kids still say awesome these days Wattson? Ah never mind. What I especially remember was the theme music. The theme music was amazing that every kid in elementary school loved to sing it to the point that the teachers had to ban the song from the hallways. Great song, not like today's youth and their music about butts Pattson. "I wanna be the very best", those were the words, the days Mason, those were the days. Anyways Batson, I can still remember in my young twenties of the day Ash finally won the Pokemon League before losing it to Kukui and going on another Pokemon League. Although I can't quite remember if people loved or were disappointed by it. I think it was both. Whatever it was, Ash Ketchum was ten times better than today's so-called 'Ash Ketchum' Vattson."

MegaSalamence05

If you look at there's 4 different leagues where the opportunity was definitely there. For all different reasons. Johto and Sinnoh was because of the Reserve factor plus specific feats within the respective leagues itself. (Ash vs Gary in Johto, Ash vs Paul) where the protagonist legit beats there longtime rival and it got structured that he would lose the next match to the League Rival.

Johto, Sinnoh, Kalos and Alola.

Kalos was built on one thing in the second half the Ash Greninja factor, the fabled hero brought back to present day. Whenever Ash Greninja was there the battle was usually in Ash's favour. With Alain narratively I now understand why he won, the evil turn, Ash gets backstabbed by a person who he thought was a colleague and rival but how it was executed it fell short only because of how they built up his Mega Charizard X. This undefeated Mega Evolution who conquered everything in its path majoritively speaking. I've come to peace with the Kalos League loss. If they allowed Ash Greninja a win against this Charizard it wouldn't have fit because of how condensed the Team Flare arc actually was it wouldn't have made sense. I know this is a hot take but Ash Greninja like Ash can be beaten, people will say Ash Greninja is not Ash's strongest Pokemon. I seriously beg to differ here.

Now for the Alola League. This is the league that without a shadow of a doubt Ash Ketchum had to win here for the fact that as it's a regionally recognized League with No Champion or Elite 4. This allowed Ash Ketchum the victory that he desperately craved. This generation of show has done alot for the character of Ash in the character development department as it continues the path that Kalos began. This was more of a World building generation for the character of Ash because as soon as word gets out that he's Champion of a region he can't lose to ordinary trainers now. He has to be against specific individuals. If you look at the following piece below. Who's the easiest target: Ash Ketchum

This win brings everyone and everything full circle. Which I look at and am just in awe of.

As he falls now in the following category by default with his victory of the Alola League:

Lance - Kanto/Johto
Steven Stone -- Hoenn
Wallace -- Hoenn
Cynthia -- Sinnoh
Alder -- Unova
Diantha -- Kalos
Ash Ketchum -- Alola

Heres the piece enjoy.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Going by the current trend; I think we’ll all have grown kids the next time he wins one.

If the trend continues i think by the time when ash won next league i would be nearing be past half century in age department.

Now that you mention it, i wonder how many people here weren't even born when ash started his journey in episode 1.

Zariful

So I’m genuinely wondering how this is gonna work. Like the moment he loses his next battle is it all over? Like if he hypothetically became the sinnoh champion and then proceeded to lose to Trip’s level 5 Snivy. Would Trip become the Sinnoh champion. Well darn, that actually makes me think the Masked Royal will best Ash. Cause then future league victors would have the opportunity to fight the champion for his title afterwards.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
He won a league where the bar was set low and where battling wasn't the main focus but comedy was.

Yeah I know I should be happy that idiot finally won a league, but after 20+ years of waiting by enthusiasm has dried up, the worst part is I am positive I'll be pushing up daisies by the time he wins another one

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I feel like there's a difference between a league winner and a champion. Alola's a different case since there isn't an established one so Kukui will most likely try to build an elite four next and then the winner of those battle will be the champion while the winners of the pokemon league will just be a strong trainer.

The pokemon league has always been different in the anime and the games anyways so it's probably not a big deal if Ash loses, I mean let's be honest he's gonna lose gym badges next region etc etc.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I wonder how Kathleen McInerney, aka Veronica Taylor for those who know her by her professional name, the original voice actress of dubbed Ash, feels about this? I know she personally enjoyed playing the role of Ash.