• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on Ash having finally won a Pokemon League.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Ngl I think I enjoyed the victory more because I avoided these fourms for most of the day. Continuing to argue about the legitimacy of the League really ruins the mood pretty fast.
It is funny:Ash wins a league after 20 years and aren't satisfied with it.
I mean I really don’t mind the Alola League but this is such a poor argument that keeps getting repeated as if it’s some good comeback: you can want something but be disappointed by how it’s executed.

SatoSereFan224888

How on Earth did you derive this?
I meant to say it should focus on new heroes. Ash’s travels would continue in something like Generatiobs or Origins. However Ash’s journey would be in online-only episodes much like Generations.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
People can say what they want about the Alola League, but man seeing Ash win warmed my heart with joy. I've watched every single one of his League losses, and I've stuck by his side every single time. To see him win means a lot to me. The Pokemon games and anime have played a big part in my life since I was a kid. I remember watching him lose the Indigo League when I was 9 years old. Now I just witnessed him winning his first ever League at 28 years old.

This means a lot to me. To me the Sinnoh League and Kalos League had the best battles, but I still enjoyed the Alola League. Dusk Lycanroc will go down as a legend now. He's the won that landed the final blow to help Ash win his first ever Pokemon League. Good job Pupper!

It was nice to see Ash's mom and Mr. Mime there. We also can't forget good ole Professor Oak. Yes, I was wishing Brock and Misty could have been there. However I'm sure somewhere out there they know he won and they are happy for him.

Jeal

So, Ash finally won the league. I will give my opinion about it. At first, I was disappointed. I mean, is this his first league victory? Really!? Winning or losing, I would be mad. If he can't even win a joke league like this one, it would be really pathetic. The no requirements to enter is the most common complaint. But I was thinking about it, and it doesn't really matters. Strong trainers still can enter. Problem is, Alola trainers are noobs, the classmates in top 16? Really!? Ash is the strongest trainer in a region of losers. Well, congratulations Ash.

The final battle was boring. ''Stone Edge!'', ''dodge Lyncaroc!'', ''Stone Edge!", Ash's Lycanroc dodges, ''oh, he dodged it! Nevermind, Stone Edge again!"

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Writers love their stones.

But hate their earthquakes.

Even though Stone Edge looks a bit too much earthquake-y.
It doesn't look earthquake-y to me. I mean the screen doesn't shake. It just those crystal pillars sprouting from the ground, that's it.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Seeing the new animation for stone edge, i always wonder how will ash's gliscor use stone edge since it is always airborne, will it come down to ground to use it or how.

Emelie

Bookworm
While I didn't like the Unova league it also felt like Satoshi deserved the placement that he got. I don't think there is anything wrong with preferring comedy and slice-of-life over action but if Satoshi didn't care as much about battles why suddenly present him that way at the end of SM?

If they didn't want the league to be serious, the victory should also have been presented that way. Mabye give Satoshi a smaller award instead of a trophy and have Satoshi say that he had fun battling his classmates but now he is ready to aim higher and take on new challenges in Galar which has more serious tournaments?

While it might have been important for Satoshi in the past to win a league it never felt like SM Satoshi prioritized that. Why not give SM Satoshi an award more appropriate for his character? They could even have tied this together with graduating the school since this is what SM Satoshi values over battling.

Just like the Kasumi/Takeshi cameos after the backlash of the 20th movie, this feels like yet another attempt to overcompensate for past shortcomings. I think this was an attempt to please both disappointed XY fans and nostalgic Gen 1 fans. Note how they made a post on the official Twitter featuring OS Satoshi instead of SM Satoshi.

Despite them trying to hype up his victory to appeal to fans of the more the serious versions of Satoshi, they also tried to compensate by making the Alola league super goofy with joke characters and comedy with Rowlet. It feels a little messy and lacks a sense of direction.

It's nice that they try to listen to criticism from fans but mabye league victories and cameos should feel a little more natural?

Last edited:

Jeal

Just like the Kasumi/Takeshi cameos after the backlash of the 20th movie, this feels like yet another attempt to overcompensate for past shortcomings.
Episodes are produced months before airing, their cameos in the anime always were the plan.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
While I didn't like the Unova league it also felt like Satoshi deserved the placement that he got. I don't think there is anything wrong with preferring comedy and slice-of-life over action but if Satoshi didn't care as much about battles why suddenly present him that way at the end of SM?

If they didn't want the league to be serious, the victory should also have been presented that way. Mabye give Satoshi a smaller award instead of a trophy and have Satoshi say that he had fun battling his classmates but now he is ready to aim higher and take on new challenges in Galar which has more serious tournaments?

While it might have been important for Satoshi in the past to win a league it never felt like SM Satoshi prioritized that. Why not give SM Satoshi an award more appropriate for his character? They could even have tied this together with graduating the school since this is what SM Satoshi values over battling.

Just like the Kasumi/Takeshi cameos after the backlash of the 20th movie, this feels like yet another attempt to overcompensate for past shortcomings. I think this was an attempt to please both disappointed XY fans and nostalgic Gen 1 fans. Note how they made a post on the official Twitter featuring OS Satoshi instead of SM Satoshi.

Despite them trying to hype up his victory to appeal to fans of the more the serious versions of Satoshi, they also tried to compensate by making the Alola league super goofy with joke characters and comedy with Rowlet. It feels a little messy and lacks a sense of direction.

It's nice that they try to listen to criticism from fans but mabye league victories and cameos should feel a little more natural?
You know they appeared before the 20th movie came out and it was for the literal 20th anniversary of Pokémon. Their second cameo was promised at the end of their first one.

And a trophy is an appropriate reward for winning a competition. There's nothing wrong with Ash getting one.

Even the writers themselves mocked how overly - serious they were last region by having Ash and Gladion laugh during the announcer's hype spiel.

Champion Jared 14

It certainly is a breath of fresh air for the series, as one of its major strongholds has finally been broken. I’ve lost touch with watching the show faithfully for years, really fell off when BW kicked off, so I’m not jumping for joy. My thinking is more so on the future of the show.

How will they follow this up? Your protagonist is a regional league champion, so now, he has a legitimate reputation as a trainer to protect and uphold, given his new title. They cannot proceed with Ash’s character arc with mediocrity because the ante has been upped, the recipe amplified.

His development has to be solid, his goal streamlined and properly re-defined, the battles must be bigger, the Pokémon better, his skills and abilities sharper, etc. I hope that the creators haven’t written themselves in a narrative corner by breaking this long-standing taboo by this win. In my mind, it still seems to beg the question, do you think they can write a compelling story with him having this major accomplishment under his belt?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
It certainly is a breath of fresh air for the series, as one of its major strongholds has finally been broken. I’ve lost touch with watching the show faithfully for years, really fell off when BW kicked off, so I’m not jumping for joy. My thinking is more so on the future of the show.

How will they follow this up? Your protagonist is a regional league champion, so now, he has a legitimate reputation as a trainer to protect and uphold, given his new title. They cannot proceed with Ash’s character arc with mediocrity because the ante has been upped, the recipe amplified.

His development has to be solid, his goal streamlined and properly re-defined, the battles must be bigger, the Pokémon better, his skills and abilities sharper, etc. I hope that the creators haven’t written themselves in a narrative corner by breaking this long-standing taboo by this win. In my mind, it still seems to beg the question, do you think they can write a compelling story with him having this major accomplishment under his belt?
Even with the major accomplishment, Ash switches teams with the exception of Pikachu each region. Most other trainers stick with their original teams throughout all regions they travel to. Ash basically takes a team of rookies to every League and consistently manages to place well.

DLeck6211

Furniture of law enforcement
I'm glad they finally pulled the trigger on it. Should have been earlier (Sinnoh and Kalos come to mind), but better late than never.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
You know they appeared before the 20th movie came out and it was for the literal 20th anniversary of Pokémon. Their second cameo was promised at the end of their first one.

And a trophy is an appropriate reward for winning a competition. There's nothing wrong with Ash getting one.

Even the writers themselves mocked how overly - serious they were last region by having Ash and Gladion laugh during the announcer's hype spiel.
Next arc is going to be a mock sm ? I hope so ? This anime narrative is needed to be a consistent with all Pokemon series and it is why i hate bw for soft rebooting Satoshi

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
According writers Satoshi in sm is a evolved form of Satoshi from XYZ arc and this arc is about his evolution of xy arc .....they not mock XYZ or dppt personal (honestly they kind knew that sm is not going to be a please hardcore Japanese fans)

Last edited: