• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on Continuity in Journeys?

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
The fact that they lore old viewers with old characters says more about how the IIdirectors think about Gou and Koharu in the current series and how older viewers view them
Or…this is part of the run-up to the anime’s 25th anniversary coming up in April 2022.

Fully agree. This series had the most reason to bring back some of his reserves..... He stays in Kanto, PWC.... What better opportunity to use his reserves?..
Because marketing says that they want the anime to focus on other Pokemon right now?

Man this pisses me off more than it should. We don't "deserve" or are "owed" anything, the writers don't care about what 20-30 something English speakers on a fourm believe the "should" be doing and no one's forcing you to watch this show, we are not the target audience so quit the entitled attitude and talking down to others who DO like the show and want to enjoy it
I wish I could LIKE this more than once. I think we forget that we’re not target audience for the show.

My 11 year-old and 7 year-old don’t care about continuity between seasons. They like fun stories in the Pokemon world (and they will like them better when they are dubbed and on Netflix). And by that metric, the anime seems to be succeeding.

ilteren

After DP, we watched stand alone series. BW, XY and SM... Every series is independent and mentioning about continuity between them is difficult. Some fans refuse to believe XY and SM are in same universe. :p Of course they are but it is a sign of Pokemon Anime Universe is dispersing.
Thanks to JN. Now we can watch different characters from different series together. Isn't it enough to save our precious anime universe at least? However, I think some fans forget JN is a stand alone series also. Don't expect much and try to fun.
I feel happy when I see Shalour Pokemon Center building is totally same in JN and XY or the café that BW gang sit in Vermilion is still exists in JN.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Were not even fully 2 years in yet lol
Semantics. The show will still have been on air for 3 years. I didn’t say 3 exact years.

Don’t know why you’re being pedantic anyway as that has nothing to do with the thread though.
Could y’all find something else to be pointlessly pedantic about please lol

Soniman

Break the Limit
Unless you can get around to doing the same to counter everything word for word and bring in data from every episode, then don't make it seem like I'm some kind of villain for stating things for how they are.
It's not about being a villian it's just I notice you tend to do that a lot in a debate when it comes to "objectivity" when it's really not. Im not even sure why the insistence to need to "win" a argument by doing that when you can just back it up with your own viewpoints on criticism instead of going "I win because it's factual". I personally have no desire to debate you on this because most of you criticisms I either don't mind as much or just flat out don't agree with. I know what kinda show this and cameos with underwhelming aspects just simply don't bother me as much as something like basic Pokémon focus.

Could y’all find something else to be pointlessly pedantic about please lol
Being off an entire year+ isn't 3 years at all by any stretch but whatever

Last edited:

BobbbidyBob

You guys...this feels like a family already with all this arguing haha

BobbbidyBob

If someone needed more screentime it was Darkrai, Dawn took its spotlight

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
It's been mediocre. With a few exceptions like Hikari and Corni, most of the characters that the writers have brought back only return for one episode, and their roles typically aren't any better than those of an average COTD. While it's nice to see old characters again, it's almost meaningless if their returns feel like little more than cameos instead of genuinely interesting plot points.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Korrina showing up twice was indeed surprising. Though she was done after the PWC match and later appearances would be random unvoiced cameos/references. Guess being the one who gives the player Mega Lucario in the games did end up coming in handy
You guys...this feels like a family already with all this arguing haha
"Mom, dad, don't fight!"

Ignition

Being off an entire year+ isn't 3 years at all by any stretch but whatever
A season that starts airing in 2019 having its second “anniversary” in a month and the new year being in 3 months is close enough to 3 years. Again, why point out such a non issue that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread unless you’re looking for something to be pedantic over lmao

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Korrina :- It's fine mostly. I liked her and didn't expect her to return so can't complaint.

Chuck :- Don't care for him or Johto but his presence doesn't hurt the episode. Nice for Chuck fans.

Gary :- This one was good. Other than Moltres BTFO'ing Blastoise and Infernape both, I didn't have much problems.

Iris :- It was popular here but no update on Rayquaza, or her gym leader phase, or her championship battle etc makes me apathetic towards it. Nice to hear her catchphrase again.

Dawn :- Pretty disappointing. Not even a high five.

Cynthia :- It was pretty non existent so I'll wait for battle with Ash.

Though I'd rather prefer someone less overrated than her humiliates her.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
A season that starts airing in 2019 having its second “anniversary” in a month and the new year being in 3 months is close enough to 3 years. Again, why point out such a non issue that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread unless you’re looking for something to be pedantic over lmao
We are the internet fandom. We thrive on nipticking everything and overanalysing every single line and animation frame.

BobbbidyBob

My favorite character returns: Gary, Dawn (because of Koharu and Darkrai not Dawn lol) and Lugia But does that count as a character?

Worst: Mewtwo. And this one hit hard because after he disappeared in the year 2000, he was back and I was the most hyped for his return.

masdog

Ignition

We are the internet fandom. We thrive on nipticking everything and overanalysing every single line and animation frame.
You’re not wrong. I tend to forget we’re also in the Pokémon fandom where, at all times, someone is nitpicking about something
If you’re not technically correct, you’re doing it wrong.

Seriously though I don’t care if I’m not 100% right about the time frame. Just don’t understand why it’s something people feel the need to point out when I’m sure most can understand what I mean.

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
Terrible. Everyone is treated like a COTD. Korrina didn't even get a flashback or anything beyond "having a battle with Ash in the past". Dawn came back for TWO episodes and had her character flanderized and barely interacted with Ash. Mewtwo could have been M16 Mewtwo and nothing would change.

Gary is the only character who I felt they handled properly. They acknowledged his past, had him interact with Ash, and let him contribute to the current narrative beyond being a stepping stone to Ash. He actually felt like a character and not a marketing tool.

I'd rather have no continuity than half-assed continuity or hypebait.

masdog

If you’re not technically correct, you’re doing it wrong.

Seriously though I don’t care if I’m not 100% right about the time frame. Just don’t understand why it’s something people feel the need to point out when I’m sure most can understand what I mean.
I understood exactly what you meant originally. I can’t believe people spent that much time nitpicking that instead of discussing the topic.

Morax

King of heroes
Were not even fully 2 years in yet lol

Damn, you used the word objective so I guess that means we can't debate your point *eye roll*

People massively dumping on continuity (really I didn't realize it was hated this much though Lol) really forget just how bad we had it. But I guess this is one of those glass half full/empty kinda things, I'm a lot more lenient on parts of a comeback being underwhelming because I'm just happy seeing them at all, like some of these characters haven't been seen in 10 years so I'm not going to look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth

I enjoyed all the episodes I thought all their appearances were in character and had nice interactions, tons of references and call backs like sorry I just don't see what the huge failing people keep going on about when it comes to this aspect of JN.

I could spend my time pointing and going "Why didn't they do x or Y" but unless they were unmitigated ooc disasters and I enjoyed myself despite all that why bother? If we pointed out every bit of missed potential from this anime wed be here forever.

Man this pisses me off more than it should. We don't "deserve" or are "owed" anything, the writers don't care about what 20-30 something English speakers on a fourm believe the "should" be doing and no one's forcing you to watch this show, we are not the target audience so quit the entitled attitude and talking down to others who DO like the show and want to enjoy it
>the writers are under no obligation to make it’s old fans happy
I wanted to ignore this thread but sh.it like this pisses me off to no end. If we are not the target audience then what’s up with the nostalgia bait? “Kids” don’t care who ash met and fought 5 years ago. If it was only aimed at kids then there’s no need for continuity. It’s pretty fuc.king obviously aimed at us. They want my attention and i am fully entitled to voice my disappointment if it doesn’t meet my expectations.

D

Deleted member 384931

Continuity has to be meaningful. If you can replace the old character by of COTD,that isnt good.

It is like they make episodes and then decide: lets add an old character/popular character somewhere

Last edited by a moderator: