• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on Continuity in Journeys?

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
I'm telling you that the scenarios are different. He didn't come with the pre-notion of battling in a race, it was a surprise and Pikachu was up for it so he didn't need to call a different mon
So literally like the Tauros episode I mentioned? They happen to be in a town where that competition takes place, he didn't know that, finds out and calls Tauros. It's so simple.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Then the following episode is a water race where Ash decides to use... Pikachu! Can someone tell me how using Buizel, Oshawott, etc. wouldn't be more natural than that? I remember that back in the day, if there was a Tauros competition, Ash would get his Tauros for an episode, if there was a sumo competition, Ash would get Snorlax, if there was a water type tournament, Ash would get Kingler, if May's Bulbasaur had problems, Ash would ask his very own Bulbasaur for help. That was NATURAL and not forced for the sake of fanservice.

And I don't even want to read the "Ash only uses his reserves at the end of the series" when all these examples are from the middle of a series. And I could also say "Ash always gets at least one new starter" and we all know what happened. Trends can be broken.
For the most part casually bringing back Ash Pokémon mid season was done away with even by DP. And by BW continuity stopped being natural and just become "fanservice events", special moments to be hyped up because they were never going to happen normally anymore. This has been the state of the anime a looooong before JN and yeah it sucks but there's no real point in complaining about it. Post DP Sagas have become so segmented and unconnected with each other they probably don't see point in mentioning this Pokémon or character from a decade ago unless it's a "big event" they can heavily promote

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
Stop bringing whataboutisms to previous series to defend a negative. Past series were tied down to their respective generations, this one clearly isn't. Past series were very formulaic, this series has been 'breaking trends'.

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
I'm telling you that the scenarios are different. He didn't come with the pre-notion of battling in a race, it was a surprise and Pikachu was up for it so he didn't need to call a different mon

They live in a world where your phone is literally alive.

For god sake...

Soniman

Break the Limit
Stop bringing whataboutisms to previous series to defend a negative. Past series were tied down to their respective generations, this one clearly isn't. Past series were very formulaic, this series has been 'breaking trends'.
Ash not using old Pokémon has always been given the narrative reason of him wanting the new Pokémon he catches to shine on their own. JN have a globe trotting formula isn't going to suddenly change this view point. He wants to get through the PWC with the team with the team he's built this saga. "Whataboutism" my ass, what was acceptable in like 4 sagas prior suddenly isn't because you dislike it is not a valid reason to believe it shouldn't apply like always

ShadowForce720

I would say the same if we were in 2011 but we happen to be in 2021 in a series that is supposed to celebrate all regions. I never said it was a problem of this series exclusively. But now they had the perfect chance to fix some problems from the past decade and they decided not to.
If you know how most series that have anniversaries seasons work is they don’t have that much of the anniversary like returning characters at the beginning so that the new characters have a chance to establish themselves.

They we’re never going to just bring old Pokémon and characters within the first 8 episodes of the series when they were still establishing the new characters and Ash hadn’t caught any Pokémon yet for this series.

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
Ash not using old Pokémon has always been given the narrative reason of him wanting the new Pokémon he catches to shine on their own. JN have a globe trotting formula isn't going to suddenly change this view point. He wants to get through the PWC with the team with the team he's built this saga. "Whataboutism" my ass, what was acceptable in like 4 sagas prior suddenly isn't because you dislike it is not a valid reason to believe it shouldn't apply like always
Last I recall, he didn't have a 'new team' before episode 10 which is where that entire debate about the reserves for the tournament, water race etc. come into play.

Also, it's the 'World' Championship, and where any participant can look up your statistics/team and appropriately counter you. Hypothetically, you can still have plenty of team building and shining with the occasional reserve popping in and out. Though considering how they failed Ash's core team itself, I guess things speak for themselves.

It's not about personal dislike or whatever, it's about what the logical step would be.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
So literally like the Tauros episode I mentioned? They happen to be in a town where that competition takes place, he didn't know that, finds out and calls Tauros. It's so simple.
The taurous episode......in which he could only use tauros......unlike that episode where he could use Pikachu......
Do you yourself now see why they aren't the same thing?

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Also, it's the 'World' Championship, where any participant can look up your statistics/team and appropriately counter you. Hypothetically, you can still have plenty of team building and shining with the occasional reserve popping in and out. Though considering how they failed Ash's core team itself, I guess things speak for themselves.
To be fair, this is something that hasn't been handled well over the years either. Ash should have been able to look up the specific teams and tactics of all the gym leaders to prep. If he did, it was never shown on-screen.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
The taurous episode......in which he could only use tauros......unlike that episode where he could use Pikachu......
Do you yourself now see why they aren't the same thing?
Do you expect them to say "only water types are allowed" if they aren't going to make Ash think logically anyway? Even if the rule was that, he would've just taken the back sit and send Pikachu only when Team Rocket appeared.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Do you expect them to say "only water types are allowed" if they aren't going to make Ash think logically anyway? Even if the rule was that, he would've just taken the back sit and send Pikachu only when Team Rocket appeared.
I mean it isn't illogical for him not to use Pikachu considering the episodes circumstances lol, I really don't get what your point is with that specific episode

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
I mean it isn't illogical for him not to use Pikachu considering the episodes circumstances lol, I really don't get what your point is with that specific episode
Oh, that's not even the problem with that episode. I don't even want to talk about the Piplup and Croagunk situation.

I feel you're looking at it as a "Journeys episode" and I would like to believe this is a "Pokémon episode" where something as mundane as using your Buizel even outside the series you caught it shouldn't be something strange. Again, this isn't a problem of the current series only.

I would like the lastest episode to be considered 1171 and not 68 of a specific series. Not in literally in a list, of course, it's impractical, but in a story way. I know it's impossible.

Last edited: