• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on Continuity in Journeys?

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
To be fair, this is something that hasn't been handled well over the years either. Ash should have been able to look up the specific teams and tactics of all the gym leaders to prep. If he did, it was never shown on-screen.
Tbf he did usually get the info beforhand in kalos since serena looks up info or meeting the gym leader, and when he had the opportunity for detailed info from tierno he refused because he wants to take fight it on his own.

While when he did research his opponents party was during the leagues.

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years

This quote:

Hayashibara: The same can be said for Dokucale, who was really tough to part with. You know, it really does feel like the Rocket-Dan and their Pokémon are all just kind of rooming together. You might expect them to sleep inside their Monster Balls like other Pokémon but instead we see them sleeping outside along with everyone else. In that way I guess it's like we're kind of like roommates in a share house

It infuriates me to no limit, the dirty they have been doing to Team Rocket this season. Sorry but while this travesty exists this series is a piece of trash for me.

The gatcha machine should end in a trashcan, the day they announce this mess of a series is over I will toast with all of you Team Rocket fans.

I mean they appeared less in the past, but now it feels so random. And their role is so idk.
I say it multiple times

In Sun and Moon Team Rocket had no quantity, but they got quality
In DP they had a lot of quantity and quality, less than in Sun and Moon
In XY the same less quality and quantity IMO
In OG - AG specially in Johto they had a lot of quantity but not much quality

In Journeys? Zero quantity, Zero quality. With a few exceptions but his apparitions outside their focus episodes have been pathetic. They do not even appear in preview videos anymore, in promotional material, have they appeared in those Animage Posters? . What is this lack of respect?

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
This quote:

Hayashibara: The same can be said for Dokucale, who was really tough to part with. You know, it really does feel like the Rocket-Dan and their Pokémon are all just kind of rooming together. You might expect them to sleep inside their Monster Balls like other Pokémon but instead we see them sleeping outside along with everyone else. In that way I guess it's like we're kind of like roommates in a share house

It infuriates me to no limit, the dirty they have been doing to Team Rocket this season. Sorry but while this travesty exists this series is a piece of trash for me.

The gatcha machine should end in a trashcan, the day they announce this mess of a series is over I will toast with all of you Team Rocket fans.

I say it multiple times

In Sun and Moon Team Rocket had no quantity, but they got quality

In Journeys? Zero quantity, Zero quality. With a few exceptions but his apparitions outside their focus episodes have been pathetic. They do not even appear in preview videos anymore, in promotional material, have they appeared in those Animage Posters? . What is this lack of respect?
I miss TR. We barely get to see them in the current series.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Oh, that's not even the problem with that episode. I don't even want to talk about the Piplup and Croagunk situation.

I feel you're looking at it as a "Journeys episode" and I would like to believe this is a "Pokémon episode" where something as mundane as using your Buizel even outside the series you caught it shouldn't be something strange. Again, this isn't a problem of the current series only.

I would like the lastest episode to be considered 1171 and not 68 of a specific series. Not in literally in a list, of course, it's impractical, but in a story way. I know it's impossible.
Even when looking at it in a Pokémon series sense it makes sense......Ash wasn't prepared for a competition, sees it's happening, Pikachu wants to and can participates, makes sense it does instead of going to call oak and getting another mon when Pikachu is right there and willing

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Sometimes I forget that TR is even in this series
What’s Team Rocket? /s

On a side note, I could totally see Elon Musk as Giovanni

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
People complaining about Satoshi not bringing back a water mon for that race ignore the fact the narrative point of the race was so Misaki and her Gregguru/Pochama having closure with their 3-way tumultuous relationship and jealousy issues. The episode was never about focusing on the race and Pikachu requested to be used in the race alongside Go’s Tamanta. There would be no point in forcing in a reserve return for a COTD filler where they wouldn’t even receive proper focus or shine. Bringing back Kingler for the Whirlcup showed an organic manner to weave an older ‘mon into the story while giving it the proper time to appreciate. If they had brought back Kingler for this race you’d complain of it being “pointless” to bring it back for a COTD filler where it does nothing or isn’t in the limelight as the star.

People were sick of TR in DP and especially annoyed at their same formulaic roles in XY. This feels like straight revisionist history. They didn’t do anything in XY especially aside from Musashi jobbing at the Master Class and getting 2 of her 3 keys offscreen lmao

Last edited:

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
People were sick of TR in DP and especially annoyed at their same formulaic roles in XY. This feels like straight revisionist history. They didn’t do anything in XY especially aside from Musashi jobbing at the Master Class and getting 2 of her 3 keys offscreen lmao

They had some great episodes in XY the Malamar and Inkay one for example, and some great moments in XYZ, in DP they were at his peak on how fun they were,we need that Team Rocket that were savages messing with people. I will agree that Team Rocket appearing in every episode was not good, even I was tired.

But I want moments with them, Team Rocket in Sun and Moon did not have contests and they were amazing with his making a base subplot.

But I will not try to make you understand what Team Rocket really is if you think his only role is only in contests.

LucasMV

Ash not using old Pokémon has always been given the narrative reason of him wanting the new Pokémon he catches to shine on their own. JN have a globe trotting formula isn't going to suddenly change this view point. He wants to get through the PWC with the team with the team he's built this saga.
I don't really understand how anyone can truly believe that Ash defeating the entire PWC, including Champions like Cynthia and Leon, using only his JN's team would make any sense, narratively speaking.

In past series, they made it clear that the gap between regular trainers and Champions/E4 was huge. As an example, remember when Ash's Infernape had nothing to do against Flint's Infernape, and that was near the end of DP, so Infernape was at his strongest. And it was Ash's ace in DP.

The only pokemon from Ash that ever achieved impressive feats were ones that were returning pokemon from past series. Like Charizard defeating Articuno in AG, or Sceptile defeating Darkrai in DP. Plus Pikachu, of course, since he's always there. And the only pokemon to really compete against a Champion was Ash-Greninja.

So, sure, you can say Ash wants to try to get through the PWC using the team he's built this saga, and that's fine, but then he sure as hell shouldn't be getting any further than the first Masters 8 trainer he faces with that team. Otherwise, it's just bad writing.
If they want to make it believable for Ash to become the number 1 trainer in the world, he has to use reserves. If not, they're just retconning previously stablished facts.

Soniman

Break the Limit
I don't really understand how anyone can truly believe that Ash defeating the entire PWC, including Champions like Cynthia and Leon, using only his JN's team would make any sense, narratively speaking.

In past series, they made it clear that the gap between regular trainers and Champions/E4 was huge. As an example, remember when Ash's Infernape had nothing to do against Flint's Infernape, and that was near the end of DP, so Infernape was at his strongest. And it was Ash's ace in DP.

The only pokemon from Ash that ever achieved impressive feats were ones that were returning pokemon from past series. Like Charizard defeating Articuno in AG, or Sceptile defeating Darkrai in DP. Plus Pikachu, of course, since he's always there. And the only pokemon to really compete against a Champion was Ash-Greninja.

So, sure, you can say Ash wants to try to get through the PWC using the team he's built this saga, and that's fine, but then he sure as hell shouldn't be getting any further than the first Masters 8 trainer he faces with that team. Otherwise, it's just bad writing.
If they want to make it believable for Ash to become the number 1 trainer in the world, he has to use reserves. If not, they're just retconning previously stablished facts.
I'm just saying Ash immediately not using reserves isn't some narrative failing people seem to think it is, he's allowed to start and develop a new team of Pokémon for the majority of the saga (let's not get into how this was actually executed though). If he wants to use reserves in the Masters 8, cool if not well it'd be psr for the course for the fourth tournament finale in a row since BW

Last edited:

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
I'm just saying Ash immediately not using reserves isn't some narrative failing people seem to think it is, he's allowed to start and develop a new team of Pokémon for the majority of the saga (let's not get into how this was actually executed though). If he wants to use reserves in the Masters 8, cool if not well it'd be psr for the course for the fourth tournament finale in a row since DP
That's kinda the problem though... they never committed to something.

Hypothetically, we could have the best of both worlds, Ash's old Pokemon being rotated in and out for the occasional organic focus, with majority of the development for Y1 and Y2 going to new captures (ideally, only Dragonite, Lucario and Sir Kamon, plus Mimey maybe). By the time the Hyper Class rolled out, the new team would have been developed decently enough to share high octane screen time with reserves.

Instead, we go the worst of both worlds. New captures are a no-show outside of obligatory focus episodes. Even when reserves start factoring in, it'll obviously completely overshadow the current team because they've been devoid of proper development and interactivity.