• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on CoTDs in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt0044

I just wish the main characters (you know, the ones we're suppose to follow) didn't take backseat to CoTDs at times.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
Y'know, when I care more about a CoTD (which is pretty rare) more than Ash (the guy we're meant to follow and identify with), that's not a sign of good writing.

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
I like them, well some most of the time and others not so much but they ain't very memorable anyway. A few of the COTD (character of the day) are the reason I really enjoy watching some of the filler episodes with fun personalities as such but most are boring.

A few of my favourites; Mr. Parker (Gligarman), Oscar and Andi, Jeffrey and Doctor Ferrara (Cryogonal Man).

Some (like AJ) help provide specific themes and values w/o Brock having to be Mr. Teacher all the time. It can also save the dubbing companies money. Why hire 2 actors when you can give AJ and Bill slightly different country accents? And having James play Gastly? Genius! And it does flesh out the show VERY well. When you think back on the anime, you don't think of 1 still of all the main characters; your mind races through your memories of specific events (and in an anime based off a video game, most of these are 'filler') and the COTDs. I mean, we're not here to watch Ash play Pokemon; we know how that story goes already. We're here to experience a NEW story with NEW experiences and NEW characters. To put it shortly: AJ was the reason I knew that Ash wasn't going to win EVERY battle.

sSerenity

I loved that some of COTD in Don Battle Tournament / Cubplosion / Junior Cup were used in the Unova League.
And some of them are still good rivals : Who guessed that Stephan, Langley, Cabernet -> Rivals ?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Some of them were pretty memorable, like Duplica (though she came back in Johto), AJ, Giselle, and the hippie with the Pokéflute to name a few. They were probably better developed one-shot characters, but there were those whom you could tell were just made for that episode, and thus flat as the cel they were painted on (the brothers in the Eevee episode, the samurai and the biker punks, for instance). As a kid, I believed in Ash when he said "one day we'll see each other again".

I was such a fool.

Do I wish they would return in a future episode? Yeah, a few times whenever they came to mind I wished they would show up again, but it only happened at least three times when the plot called for them (Suzie, Todd and Duplica are the ones I can think of at the moment). Even then, my expectations for them weren't really as great, and it slowly made me realize that one-shot characters should just remain as one-shot characters unless the writers could give them a proper re-introduction and keep their characters the same, but add a little more development to them. That's why I feel Duplica is probably one of the few one-shot characters I really liked in the whole series. She was rather unique in that she was a copycat (probably based off Copycat from the games now that I think of it), and in her debut episode, they used her copycat talent to thwart Team Rocket (and poke fun of them), which you don't really get to see much in an episode, a Chekhov's skill--especially one that was a character's signature trait.

Blessed

I think it would have been nice to see Giselle make a second apperance either in Johto or Hoenn. Would have been nice to see how Ash would react.to seeing her again. I was glad to see Duplica, Todd, and Aya come back a second time though but Giselle should have too!

There are some COTDs that I actually like. For instance, Marina, Evian, and Riku from my avatar. They're interesting and they can even help out the main characters. I know this wasn't introduced in Hoenn, but I remember when this firework guy told Ash and the group that Pokemon can feel with their Trainer is feeling and react to that. That's some good advice.

Some of them were pretty memorable, like Duplica (though she came back in Johto), AJ, Giselle, and the hippie with the Pokéflute to name a few. They were probably better developed one-shot characters, but there were those whom you could tell were just made for that episode, and thus flat as the cel they were painted on (the brothers in the Eevee episode, the samurai and the biker punks, for instance). As a kid, I believed in Ash when he said "one day we'll see each other again".

I was such a fool.

Do I wish they would return in a future episode? Yeah, a few times whenever they came to mind I wished they would show up again, but it only happened at least three times when the plot called for them (Suzie, Todd and Duplica are the ones I can think of at the moment). Even then, my expectations for them weren't really as great, and it slowly made me realize that one-shot characters should just remain as one-shot characters unless the writers could give them a proper re-introduction and keep their characters the same, but add a little more development to them. That's why I feel Duplica is probably one of the few one-shot characters I really liked in the whole series. She was rather unique in that she was a copycat (probably based off Copycat from the games now that I think of it), and in her debut episode, they used her copycat talent to thwart Team Rocket (and poke fun of them), which you don't really get to see much in an episode, a Chekhov's skill--especially one that was a character's signature trait.

The Samurai was actually a well-developed character with a deeply hidden backstory and some really dark roots.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The Samurai was actually a well-developed character with a deeply hidden backstory and some really dark roots.

I probably don't remember him very well, then. Yeah, he's hard to forget, he was probably the first one-shot character in the series, but he just wasn't a personal favorite of mine. I wonder if he ever stopped training in Viridian Forest, though...

I probably don't remember him very well, then. Yeah, he's hard to forget, he was probably the first one-shot character in the series, but he just wasn't a personal favorite of mine. I wonder if he ever stopped training in Viridian Forest, though...

I thought I was the only one who didn't like Samurai and I also find Giselle to be overrated as well. She is pretty, yes but that does not make one an interesting character. But yeah, I agree with a lot of your choices from your earlier post. AJ was a huge favorite of mine and I would have loved to see him in the Indigo League.

I thought I was the only one who didn't like Samurai and I also find Giselle to be overrated as well. She is pretty, yes but that does not make one an interesting character. But yeah, I agree with a lot of your choices from your earlier post. AJ was a huge favorite of mine and I would have loved to see him in the Indigo League.

AJ probably could have made it :)
Giselle was an interesting character because she contrasted the happy-go-lucky mood of the anime and brought out others' flaws (like Misty's arrogance).

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
I actually prefer that the COTD get development and have actual little stories, not just stand around and look on in horror as Team Rocket tries to steal their Pokemon. Those tend to be the worst kinds of COTDs.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
COTDs is one of the few advantages the anime has over mangas or fan fics. Because, well, they're more realistic. You can't honestly expect going through the region with only meeting your rivals, your mom, your long lost childhood friend blah blah blah. That's why I liked DP. It had a deeper depth of realism in the form of COTDs and fillers, as well as a darker theme sometimes.

matt0044

COTDs is one of the few advantages the anime has over mangas or fan fics. Because, well, they're more realistic. You can't honestly expect going through the region with only meeting your rivals, your mom, your long lost childhood friend blah blah blah. That's why I liked DP. It had a deeper depth of realism in the form of COTDs and fillers, as well as a darker theme sometimes.

I think so too... in concept. Unfortunately, a lot of CoTD episodes have a predictable vibe to them outside of certain standouts and they could've been used to develop the main characters more. It just comes off as "meandering" at times and it seems like the writers are afraid of major plot progression. The concept is good as Doctor Who shows but in Pokemon, they started to get a bit... bland at some point and for me, it wasn't one of DP's finer points save for a few better episodes.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
If htey did it write they could of done CoTD so much better. For example they could be arcs and not jsut one shot episodes and in the arc things could happen Ash,battles,gets new pokemon, learns new move etc. The way they do it all in a single is kinda of ehh becasue if you like the CoTD you only get 20 mins with them. also if done this wya they could return thouout the series in contests or other tournament episodes. Sadly the series takes a one story ep approach

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I think so too... in concept. Unfortunately, a lot of CoTD episodes have a predictable vibe to them outside of certain standouts and they could've been used to develop the main characters more. It just comes off as "meandering" at times and it seems like the writers are afraid of major plot progression. The concept is good as Doctor Who shows but in Pokemon, they started to get a bit... bland at some point and for me, it wasn't one of DP's finer points save for a few better episodes.
Doctor Who has longer episodes, allowing more developed plots/COTDs. The older Doctor Who series was actually split into mini-arcs. I wonder if that wouldn't work for Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.