• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on "Decolora Adventures!" Team Rocket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
Team Rocket's contribution to the show in Da! is jack ****. Basically it goes like this:
1. Ash does stuff on Island x
2. Team Rocket traps him and steals his Pikachu or other Pokemon
3. Team Rocket blasts off again and again and again.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
BlueDragonfangirl: if you don't want to have fights, don't pick them.

*double facepalm* i MEANT why should team rocket be serious when it's extremely obvious they were never meant to be so in the first place? hence "don't be something you're not"

I'm guessing you never saw their first episode, which firmly established they were meant to be threatening.

What is worshipped is, ironically, a complete gutting of their characters, the very same thing Megumi Hayashibara, Inuko Inuyama and the obsessive fans have been whining about all along. Lobotomized robots with no personality or character development? That didn't happen in BW, sorry. That happened a long, long time ago, long enough that fans popped up who only loved them as empty, useless wastes.

i agree/ they were funny at times, but they got random and annoying after a while. i'm not to keen on the fact that they have taken a huge step backwards in terms of competence. it is annoying that they had a chance and are now back to being incompetent.

Some of the Sakaki fantasies were funny, yes. Like the one where he's in pajamas or whatnot. I also like the one where he was with a bunch of runpappa playing the uke. But after a while it was pretty random. All and all, I like funny Team Rocket but I also like their EpN selves. They were in an in between. Serious but had some personality. I'd want them to be that way. I am glad that I am not the only one. ^^

SlimeStack

I haven't seen too much of Da! yet, but it's good that Team Rocket have souls again. Comedy and blasting off are what they do best. Glad the serious BW stuff is gone.

The writing seems a little off though. Like they're holding back slightly and are not quite matching what they used to be before BW. Maybe they writers just need to get used to it again.

They're apparently absent from DA03, which means the writers realise that if Team Rocket don't fit into the plot well enough, they shouldn't be in it at all. That fixes their biggest flaw pre-BW. Though unfortunately we have a recent example of them being used as a plot device to resolve a very boring COTD problem with the Floccesy Ranch episode, so they have the capacity to use Team Rocket the wrong way too.

Hopefully with XY they'll find a good balance with their screen time and not drag them into bad fillers as a plot device. But their DP selves and flaws together are still much better than BW's serious Team Rocket, so for the duration of Da! I can appreciate the fact that we have the classic trio back.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
The writing seems a little off though. Like they're holding back slightly and are not quite matching what they used to be before BW. Maybe they writers just need to get used to it again.

It seems as if they are 'holding back' because you subconsciously realized how bad their characters actually are like this. You're tricking yourself into waiting for something that was never there.

They're apparently absent from DA03, which means the writers realise that if Team Rocket don't fit into the plot well enough, they shouldn't be in it at all. That fixes their biggest flaw pre-BW.

They were shoved into the Oshawott episode for no reason. Not to mention that the villain of the episode they were absent from was cut from their mold anyway.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
But their DP selves and flaws together are still much better than BW's serious Team Rocket, so for the duration of Da! I can appreciate the fact that we have the classic trio back.

1. We do NOT have "the classic trio" back. Takeshi Shudo left the anime in Johto, and now he's dead, so we will never EVER have "the classic trio" back.

2. No, BW's serious Team Rocket are ten times better than their DP selves, since BW Team Rocket had a reason to exist in the show.

Ninfia

Fairy type
DP did give Jessie Contests (as in, actual wins and Ribbons), which did wonders in keeping her (and by extension, Team Rocket) relevant. BW, I felt, was a way of keeping the organization relevant, moreso than them. (Though they did benefit from that by extension.) But I digress.

I was never a fan of the silly Trio outside of Johto snarkiness, shipping, and Boss Fantasies. So I'm not a fan of the silliness of Da!, either. That being said, however, the silliness and seeing them after a while isn't so bad, so I don't mind the bits of silliness this arc.

I really don't see why people think they're off, though the absence of Jame's cute Pokemon gag and Wobbuffet is pretty noticeable. Attention to Pokemon outside of the twerps'.

Kyrix

Glitch Hunting Freak
I honestly don't care whether they're funny or serious, but let's be honest here: REGARDLESS of how they turn out, we DO NOT need 7-10 minutes of every 22 minute episode (with the occasional full 22 minutes) being dedicated to Team Rocket failing at another idiotic plot. I know filler episodes are used to pad a season in any anime, but they have turned Team Rocket into the impossible: inter-episode filler. They pad individual episodes with their presence because they can't even fill a 22 minute time slot.

Personally, I like them whenever they aren't being bad guys and when they're being an Enemy Mine. Jessie's appearances in Contests in DP (unlike AG where she was just a butt monkey the whole time) were great. The episodes where they join up with Ash and Co. to fight a bigger threat, but make it obvious they are going to try and backstab Ash are great.

Whatever they do with them, I'd almost like to see them as ascended rivals. They appear far more often than the stock rivals, but are clearly antagonistic, rather than friendly like all of Ash's rivals (sans Paul before the end) are. Let them continue to do criminal acts, and let them succeed every now and then. But for the love of all that is good, I don't think I can stomach them wasting 7-10 minutes of every episode anymore.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
I honestly don't care whether they're funny or serious, but let's be honest here: REGARDLESS of how they turn out, we DO NOT need 7-10 minutes of every 22 minute episode (with the occasional full 22 minutes) being dedicated to Team Rocket failing at another idiotic plot. I know filler episodes are used to pad a season in any anime, but they have turned Team Rocket into the impossible: inter-episode filler. They pad individual episodes with their presence because they can't even fill a 22 minute time slot.

Personally, I like them whenever they aren't being bad guys and when they're being an Enemy Mine. Jessie's appearances in Contests in DP (unlike AG where she was just a butt monkey the whole time) were great. The episodes where they join up with Ash and Co. to fight a bigger threat, but make it obvious they are going to try and backstab Ash are great.

Whatever they do with them, I'd almost like to see them as ascended rivals. They appear far more often than the stock rivals, but are clearly antagonistic, rather than friendly like all of Ash's rivals (sans Paul before the end) are. Let them continue to do criminal acts, and let them succeed every now and then. But for the love of all that is good, I don't think I can stomach them wasting 7-10 minutes of every episode anymore.

The thing is, BW & Season 2 proved that the writers are capable of making 22 minute episodes that don't feature Team Rocket at all, & if they did appear, it would be for literally a minute & would serve a purpose in a later episode. The writers are perfectly capable of making Team Rocket not show up at all in some episodes where they shouldn't be, but the thing we are wondering is if they will do that or revert to their old ways.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
DP did give Jessie Contests (as in, actual wins and Ribbons), which did wonders in keeping her (and by extension, Team Rocket) relevant. BW, I felt, was a way of keeping the organization relevant, moreso than them. (Though they did benefit from that by extension.) But I digress.

Contests did nothing for Jessie but stick her in outfits and infantilise her even more than usual, though. She was painfully obviously never going to be a serious rival to anyone, and placing fourth in a Grand Festival she cheated to get into with a montage battle just makes it clearer.

Kyrix

Glitch Hunting Freak
The thing is, BW & Season 2 proved that the writers are capable of making 22 minute episodes that don't feature Team Rocket at all, & if they did appear, it would be for literally a minute & would serve a purpose in a later episode. The writers are perfectly capable of making Team Rocket not show up at all in some episodes where they shouldn't be, but the thing we are wondering is if they will do that or revert to their old ways.

A thousand pardons, then. But I think I'll stick with what I've said. =P

As long as they don't start taking up a third of the series anymore, I'll be mostly fine with whatever they do with them, but I would prefer if they actually tried to make them something more.

With that being said, from what I've seen myself, I have a feeling they're probably trying to slowly revert them back to their old ways (DP Team Rocket, jooooooy), but in a way so that there won't be "too much" jarring of a transition of character. Who knows.

Ninfia

Fairy type
Contests did nothing for Jessie but stick her in outfits and infantilise her even more than usual, though. She was painfully obviously never going to be a serious rival to anyone, and placing fourth in a Grand Festival she cheated to get into with a montage battle just makes it clearer.
It still kept her relevant, tying her in with Dawn's story and making her a Contest rival of sorts. More relevant than she is in Da!, at least.

(I don't get quote notifications anymore, apparently)

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
It still kept her relevant, tying her in with Dawn's story and making her a Contest rival of sorts. More relevant than she is in Da!, at least.

She wasn't a rival to Dawn and had no impact on Dawn's story.

fitzy909

Just another guy
She wasn't a rival to Dawn and had no impact on Dawn's story.

yeah. she just showed up and took part in contests. she wasn't a rival and she only really won contests that none of the other contest rivals took part in. it didn't add to her character and we all knew she wouldn't win.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Well Jessie did beat Kenny fair and square....but....its Kenny...so nobody really cared.

Not to mention that even if Jessie didn't win that Contest, Kenny was going to. Plot demanded that Dawn lose the second consecutive Contest to set up her regaining confidence by beating Lila.

SlimeStack

It seems as if they are 'holding back' because you subconsciously realized how bad their characters actually are like this. You're tricking yourself into waiting for something that was never there.

I'm watching DP right now for the first time and I absolutely love them. So no, you're wrong. Your opinion isn't fact.

They were shoved into the Oshawott episode for no reason. Not to mention that the villain of the episode they were absent from was cut from their mold anyway.

You can't really complain about TRio being there for no reason when Ash has no goal and Iris/Cilan are both following him for absolutely no reason at all. Best Wishes is flawed in itself regardless of what Team Rocket are doing. If DA03 has a bad villain, then that too is due to Best Wishes' poor writing.

1. We do NOT have "the classic trio" back. Takeshi Shudo left the anime in Johto, and now he's dead, so we will never EVER have "the classic trio" back.

2. No, BW's serious Team Rocket are ten times better than their DP selves, since BW Team Rocket had a reason to exist in the show.

I consider OS/AG/DP to all be the same Team Rocket. AG/DP are my favourite Rockets anyway so whatever.

DP Team Rocket kept them (that is, the trio) relevant through contests, and they had souls and funny moments. They also didn't get in the way of Team Galactic's amazing story. BW Team Rocket are very boring with no personality, and they completely replaced BW1's Team Plasma in favour of poorly written Pokémon stealing or legendary controlling episodes. Even if the earthquake never happened, the entirety of season 14 was planned out and there was only 1 Plasma story and lots of terrible Rocket ones.

Last edited:

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
I would've preferred it if the TRio were still serious like in BW, but either way, well played, still.

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
I love them as serious, and as stupid, so I've always loved them. :p But as long as they don't appear in every episode, and their Pokémon being able to be a threat (which they are nowdays, instead of beling like Seviper and company and not landing a single attack), then I'm happy.

No. DA is bad because is has returned to PRE-Best Wishes' style of poor writing, because whiney fans like you found the concept of change to be "flawed".

I consider OS/AG/DP to all be the same Team Rocket. AG/DP are my favourite Rockets anyway so whatever.

DP Team Rocket kept them (that is, the trio) relevant through contests, and they had souls and funny moments. They also didn't get in the way of Team Galactic's amazing story. BW Team Rocket are very boring with no personality, and they completely replaced BW1's Team Plasma in favour of poorly written Pokémon stealing or legendary controlling episodes. Even if the earthquake never happened, the entirety of season 14 was planned out and there was only 1 Plasma story and lots of terrible Rocket ones.
[/QUOTE]

Rare to see someone admitting that they like pre-BW TR. Yes, TR has its own share of terrible fillers but they are really funny at some points.For example, in the recent Scalchop episode, I really liked James's explanations and stuff. I admit they consume a bit of screen time, but they are fun to watch. My only complaint is the motto which consumes two-three minutes every episode.

Besides Da! isn't completely returning to Pre-BW style writing. They didn't appear in the Cilan episode remember? The main complaint against TR is how they are constantly used as plot devices and terrible excuses for a certain event or disaster to happen. The recent Mijumaru episode wasn't that way. TR didn't act like a convenient plot device for some Pokemon to evolve or to solve some COTDs daily life problem. They just appeared for a couple of minutes entertained us and disappear. That is certainly better than what we saw in DP.

Status
Not open for further replies.