• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on Dynamax so far?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Dynamax is nothing special, to me. It's fun, but it's not exactly something I think I'll miss in Gen 9.

Honestly, I would probably like it more if the player couldn't do it also. I say this because it's evident Dynamaxing is needed to beat most Max Raids. I tried taking down a ☆☆☆ Max Raid with Eternatus, and it was a pain and a half.

I would love if I could just duke it out with four standard pokemon against a giant monster, like how it was with Totem battles in Sun and Moon.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I like a lot of G-Max designs such as Centiskorch, Garbodor, & Butterfree but Sceptile Leaf Blade is right about how these G-Maxes will be stupidly hard to find in a couple of years. Unless you got some friends, good luck! That and the catch rates for them are dumb.

Plus, Z-Moves at least came without axing Megas. Dynamax axes both in favor for itself!

RoughCoronet0

Dragon lover
I think Dynamaxing is a lot of fun. Both using and fighting against.

I really liked Megas and Z-Moves as well.

Each one has its advantages and disadvantages. For me personally though, the fact that any Pokémon (save for three special cases) can dynamax is what appeals to me most. You can decide, depending on the situation, which Pokémon might be the best to push that big red button on.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Each one has its advantages and disadvantages. For me personally though, the fact that any Pokémon (save for three special cases) can dynamax is what appeals to me most. You can decide, depending on the situation, which Pokémon might be the best to push that big red button on.

Yeah, and that's what makes it really handy under the pick-3/pick-4 format. Sometimes, the best Pokémon to take on the opponents happen to be the ones that aren't holding Mega Stones or Z-Crystals. And sometimes, the opponent will try to counterpick knowing you want to bring out your Pokémon that can Mega Evolve or use a Z-Move. Allowing any Pokémon to Dynamax means that option will always be available for you.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Holy @#$%. So apparently Dynamax can deactivate Choice Items. You lose the stat buffs but you also lose the locked moves. That is interesting, that is very interesting.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I absolutely hated Z-moves, loved megas and I'm ok with this but I'd rather have megas back. I really hate that the pokemon loses all of its attacks during Dinamax.
I think it's an interesting trade-off. Your basically trading in a customizable loadout for another customizable loadout tied to each other for the next turn.

Leonhart

Imagineer
To me Dynamax seemed like another gimmicky feature similar to Mega Evolution and Z-Moves the moment that I found out about it, and my opinion hasn't changed much. Most likely, Game Freak will abandon the feature in the next generation anyway, so it's hard for me to get attached to something that might be irrelevant in a couple of years.

DannyDiglett

I don't like it either. I've been playing Shield for almost a week now but Dynamax is not that appealing to me, so I agree with the most aforementioned commends. The concept of Mega Evolution was really nice and it still is. They should continue with that. I'm neutral to Z-Moves but Dynamax is just a lame excuse to throw a new gimmick in the games again. It's almost guaranteed it will be abandoned in gen 9.

(MEGA evolution, ULTRA beasts, GIGAntamax... what would be the name of new mechanic in gen 9...?)

Nevermind... My obsession with patterns had me under control again.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Holy @#$%. So apparently Dynamax can deactivate Choice Items. You lose the stat buffs but you also lose the locked moves. That is interesting, that is very interesting.

Yeah, I noticed that trying out the rental teams at the Battle Tower. One of the teams has a Heat Rotom with the Choice Scarf. As it turns out, I could lock to one move, Dynamax Rotom, then lock myself to another move afterwards.

Nave

I like how Dynamaxing is limited to only gym battles, and other select situations, as that makes it feel more epic when you do use it. There is a surprising amount of strategy for when you do use it too. Sometimes it's best to hold off, and use it only when you want to sweep. Sometimes it's best to try and stall out the opponent's dynamax only to flip momentum by dynamaxing your own Pokemon. The majority of Gigantamax designs are great too. However, some of the G-Max moves are worse than Max moves, making Gigantamax forms seem like just cosmetic upgrades.

I also prefer Megas, and am worried about the trend of creating new battle mechanics only to drop them the next gen. Megas felt like a logical progression in the series, and gave shine to a lot of underrated or overlooked Pokemon. Although I prefer Dynamax/Gigantamax to Z-Moves, I really liked the meta with both Megas and Z-Moves. With Dynamax/Gigantamax, it makes more sense to not have the other mechanics, making it feel like a step back for the series in some ways. Dynamax/Gigantamax makes the Galar region feel unique--and a lot of fun--but going back to Megas (and to a lesser extent Z-Moves) might be better for future gens.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Incredibly fun to fight against in the multiplayer part. Like these raids so much that I really want them to be in future games. Adds another layer to the multiplayer and makes supporting Pokemon more viable.

Using them on the other hand...I don't really care that much. Only raises HP and makes moves pretty much Z-Moves, which makes the fights look more epic, but also makes the fights online against other trainer more unpredictable.

Lore wise I like it more than Mega's and Z-Moves.

Rainbow-Mage

Accidental warlock
I have completed the game once and done a lot of raids and have yet to Dynamax a single time. I think that sums up my thoughts pretty well.

Sapphire Dragon

A Silver soul.
Huge step back with regards to longevity. I don't see the hype lasting very long, and agree with previous posts that mention the enormous cutscene/animation time; I was also not interested in the mechanic from the beginning. I could only see it improving if they shorten some of the animations. I think Dynamax itself outside of G-Max seems really unlikely to return, unlike G-Max, which might be able to.

As for Dynamax being a Gen 8 only gimmick, related to the plot, it was pretty interesting how they tied it in overall and I do like some of the G-Max forms. But going forward I feel like these G forms would have been better suited as Mega Evolutions instead of G-Max only forms.

IceBug

I don't like it. I still think Megas were the way to go.

Why?

Because I raised my pokemon with the view that they would access their awesome looking mega evo. It influenced what I bred, caught etc because finally having a use for Beedrill was just amazing, know what I mean?

But with Dynamax, it's a case of 'when everyone is special, no one is special' to the extreme. At least Megas were disctinct from eachother by movepool, gaining new typings sometimes and having a kick ass turned up to 11.

And with G-Max not being allowed in online play - what's the point of them again?

Doomseed

Lurks most of the time
I did liked mega-evolutions.

I never liked Z-moves.

Dynnamax is okay IMO. Not the greatest idea and a bit lazy in terms of design But I has started to grow on me.
With G-Max, I have a bit of mixed feelings. Yes it is kinda cool with all those powerful moves and pretty cool Kaiju designs. But with G-max not allowed for online play it really makes this whole freature go to waste and that is kinda sad.

But with Dynamax, it's a case of 'when everyone is special, no one is special' to the extreme.

I do see the point in that. Still funny to destroy enemy pokemon in with a oversized pikachu. But yeah, I do agreed with what you said.