• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on Gen 8's UI?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I guess those mobile spinoffs too but primarily SwSh and Pokemon HOME. Thoughts on the UI?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Eh they’re alright but a little dull. I’m not expecting something breathtaking but I feel like they’ve could’ve done much better than just monochromatic backgrounds.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I do actually have some problems with Y-Comm's UI in terms of the UX. Specifically every time you enter a Max-Raid, it's pretty much a gamble to see if it's closed or not. They should change the UI a bit for the Max-Raids stating how many people are in the rooms and state if it's open or closed. This is simple stuff you find in Monster Hunter's online rooms, here in Pokemon the details are hidden away from you. All the more reason you can tell that not only is GameFreak new to consoles but still new to online even though their online multiplayer is smoother in terms of lag compared to other Nintendo games.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I do actually have some problems with Y-Comm's UI in terms of the UX. Specifically every time you enter a Max-Raid, it's pretty much a gamble to see if it's closed or not. They should change the UI a bit for the Max-Raids stating how many people are in the rooms and state if it's open or closed. This is simple stuff you find in Monster Hunter's online rooms, here in Pokemon the details are hidden away from you. All the more reason you can tell that not only is GameFreak new to consoles but still new to online even though their online multiplayer is smoother in terms of lag compared to other Nintendo games.

I suspect that online functionality was rushed overall. I've mentioned it before, but I think the Y-Comm was originally meant for face-to-face interactions in medium-to-large groups, of several people or more. It would explain why notifications involving Max Raid Battles look exactly the same regardless of if the raid is recruiting, it's already underway, or if it's already completed. If you're physically there with the other people, you can look over or ask to see how the raid is doing. It also explains why you're flooded with notifications that you can't interact with directly. For instance, the one about camp or about curry are supposed to encourage you to find who sent that notification and ask them if you could join. It also explains why they opted for Link Codes instead of searching for specific people on your Switch friends list. They didn't think a 4-digit code would yield false positives because anyone else using that code would be too far off for the Switch to find, and they probably figured the 4-digit code would be better because it's easier to say compared to the alternatives.

I also suspect there was going to be some other feature in Pokémon Sword and Shield designed for online interactions, but it couldn't be completed in time, so the Y-Comm was repurposed to do both online and offline.

That being said, it is possible that there are people high up at Game Freak, or more likely The Pokémon Company,who genuinely believe that the majority of interaction in Pokémon is offline, considering there have been a lot of commercials in which various people meet up in person and find a common ground in Pokémon.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
That being said, it is possible that there are people high up at Game Freak, or more likely The Pokémon Company,who genuinely believe that the majority of interaction in Pokémon is offline, considering there have been a lot of commercials in which various people meet up in person and find a common ground in Pokémon.

It is somewhat understandable if most of Game Freak's staff (at least the higher ups) is Japanese. If face-to-face interactions are much more common in Japan compared to worldwide they may have difficultly seeing what is like outside that bubble (where you would be lucky finding someone playing Sword/Shield outside of conventions.).