1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest
    As I'm sure you're well aware, sites aren't free to run and so we run leaderboard adverts to fund the site. These ads are often specific game ones run by Sega etc.
    To make sure we get relevant ads as much as possible, could you fill out this survey my ad network is running? It's 100% anonymous and will just help us keep relevant ads on the site
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8GL2ZTK
    It's open til April 3rd
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Gen VII's Adaptations so far (Anime, Manga, Movies, Spin-Offs, TCG etc.)

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Generation VII Discussion' started by shoz999, Jan 7, 2019.

?

How would you rate Gen 7's adaptations overall?

1. 5/5

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 4/5

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. 3/5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2/5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1/5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. shoz999

shoz999 It's a Brooklyn episode. So turn on the subtitles.

What do you think of the majority of Gen 7's adaptations so far. When I say adaptations, I don't just mean the anime and Pokemon Adventures manga adapting the storyline of the games. I literally mean every form of adaptation adapting not just the storyline but the region, lore, new mechanics (such as Z-moves). Whenever a new generation comes out, there's always loads of new interesting things to see from the start of the generation, the games and see it adapted in all sorts of mediums. Anyways, let's get started. You can do it seperately or overall. What ever you like.

This is my personal opinion so far.

[​IMG]
    Pokemon TCG
    It's safe to say the Pokemon TCG has gotten a soft reboot. The meta designed for new Gen 7 cards is tankier, meaner and most noticeable WAY faster than ever before thanks to the new additions of Prism Star Cards and EX's replacements, GX cards which require evolution. There's also the upcoming Tag-Team GX cards which will add quite a extra punch to the meta. It's fun and strategic but you do notice that there are cards that are better than others, the must-have cards that are similar to Smogon Tiers for the main series. Also I just love the promotional art as usual.

[​IMG]
    Spin-offs
    Disappointing. Mostly it's Kanto-catering or re-releases. There have been no real attempts to make use of the Alolan lore and it's Pokemon in Spin-offs. What's even worst is that the 7th gen has some of the most amazing lore we've ever seen from Pokemon. I'm talking about ancient guardians vs otherwordly invaders, wormholes and Necrozma who has god-like abilities. It's honestly ashame that we didn't see any spin-offs take advantage of this, such as Mystery Dungeon or a new Pokemon Ranger game. I'd really like to see their take on Z-moves. Don't let those words discourage you however. The re-releases and Kanto-catering spin-offs are still really fun.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Movies
    Unlike Spin-offs, I don't expect movies to make good use of the lore so this new direction was certainly special. In "I Choose You" and "Everyone's Story", yes Everyone's Story, not calling it "The Power of Us" which is pretty cheesy no offense, this is the story of Ash in a different timeline and it's really good for a Pokemon movie.

[​IMG]
    Anime
    I like it. Has some of the best comedic filler since the original series. Really awesome. My only problem is how it handles the main story. In some ways it feels like a mess, that the anime crew doesn't know what Sun and Moon's main story should be. You can tell their experimenting with it but despite that I did enjoyed the storyline where Lusamine gets controlled by Nihilego. I personally believe that is the best storyline of the anime series and it definitely has some interesting dialogue you definitely won't see in the games.

[​IMG]
    Adventures Manga
    I'm loving it even if the Adventures manga isn't even near finish. While the anime finished much of the Sun and Moon game content months ago, the Adventures manga just finished much of the Sun and Moon game content in December, last month. Your probably wondering where is the Adventures manga at right now in terms of the games story. Don't worry. No spoilers but the last time we saw our heroes was at the Poni Altar with the Sun and Moon Flutes. Overall there were some concerns from the Adventures fanbase but it seems like it's going to shape up in an battle of EPIC proportions in the future.

So I wanna hear your thoughts on this because it's interesting how people's overall thoughts on the quality of the majority of these adaptations seem to have been... mixed to say the least?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  2. Ignition

Ignition I had no standards yet I’m still disappointed lol

I like the manga and I guess I like the anime (mixed feelings atm). Haven’t touched TCG since middle school and I heavily dislike The Power of Us but I like the first Gen 7 movie

shoz999 likes this.