• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on Journeys

BlueDragonfangirl

What do I think of Journey's? Its so flipping boring. All it is every episode is capturing a Pokemon and its not even Ash its always Go. We do not have a villain for this series like we did the previous one's, I didn't like BW or Sun and Moon much but its making me appreciate those series more. We also don't have an arc for Go to follow for me to root for him, if he was in contests like May and Dawn or what Serena did than it'd be ok but all he does is catch Pokemon and use them every now and than to catch more Pokemon. That's another thing I'm not really liking Go compared to Ash's past companions, all that focous and catches he gets for what? He gets character dev sure but they go back and fourth with his character its hard to tell. Don't even get me started on Ash, it's not as though I hate this version's character but more like I hate how they are treating him, they gave him an awesome goal for the series and it would push him closer to becoming a Pokemon master in a way. Its just its been all off screen LOL. You don't see him catch any Pokemon these days, its as if that drive of his to catch pokemon is gone and it frusterated me so. I miss that drive and passion he had even in that Sun and Moon series he had it better than this. I also wish he had gyms that we could see him use his Pokemon more in, I swear its like this staff often forgets he has them.

Over all I prefer BW and Sun/ Moon to this and that says a lot for me. Hell I can't even tell if Ash and this new girl of the series are friends at all, they don't interact outside of Go. I give this series so far a 0

BlueDragonfangirl

It depands on nostalgia and brining old characters in order for it to be watchable
That's its only redeeming trait and they can only appear for one episode it seems.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
All it is every episode is capturing a Pokemon and its not even Ash its always Go. We do not have a villain for this series like we did the previous one's, I didn't like BW or Sun and Moon much but its making me appreciate those series more. We also don't have an arc for Go to follow for me to root for him, if he was in contests like May and Dawn or what Serena did than it'd be ok but all he does is catch Pokemon and use them every now and than to catch more Pokemon

I think project Mew might rectify that, even if it is abit late i'll admit.

Don't even get me started on Ash, it's not as though I hate this version's character but more like I hate how they are treating him, they gave him an awesome goal for the series and it would push him closer to becoming a Pokemon master in a way. Its just its been all off screen LOL.

The problem I have is, if Ash was gone then yeah i wouldn't like this series at all, but they are finally giving him a chance to battle at a level that reflects how strong he should be, and giving him pokemon that reflect this as well.

Besides do we really need to see every single fight he does? I mean those two early 1 v 1's he had with Pikachu only (against Meganium and Tauros) weren't exactly all that thrilling in the eyes of most.

Most of us knew that given he's a regional champion now (like it or not it was alola's first league) and they did not reset him this time that very few trainers should be able to actually challenge him in terms of skill, we're getting to the tier where trainers should be providing more of a challenge thus we will likely see more battles at this point.

I might be in the minority, but seeing Ash and the pokemon he's getting to use now instead of the standard newbies and not being forced on a token quest keeps me interested, because after having to sit through that seven times it's boring.

changing up things so much this time keeps me intrigued at least, granted this series is by no means perfect, but no season can claim that it is.

Bendicion

Water Master
Are you serious? Koharu NOW just appears in the recent episode?? Where has she been this whole time? She didn't meet the SM cast, Iris, or Gary. What on earth is going on?? I am furious. What is the meaning of her character? I am just realizing now that shes a minor character who doesn't affect the plot??

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Are you serious? Koharu NOW just appears in the recent episode?? Where has she been this whole time? She didn't meet the SM cast, Iris, or Gary. What on earth is going on?? I am furious. What is the meaning of her character? I am just realizing now that shes a minor character who doesn't affect the plot??

in terms of meaning so far she's the only character in the anime who really doesn't know what she wants to do with her life, and others pressuring her due to her father's profession doesn't help the matter, not to mention there is still the unexplained past incident Goh brought up, why the writers won't show us this yet is a mystery too.

This is symbolized even further by her eevee who can not evolve because it can't make up it's mind on what it wants to do.

Sure we've had other characters in the past take a while to figure out what they want to do with their lives, but Koharu's still holding out because she is that unsure of what to do in the future, Her endgame will probably be figuring out what she wants to do, with her eevee potentially evolving to reflect it as well.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Her role is to hold Eevee

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
The more i think about it the more i realize just how much i feel this series is badly written.

With how ash often just goes into the background not doing much without his main character spotlight, this feels like the most bland his characters has ever been. I’m actually drawing a blank when i try to think of what’s his character had been like aside from hyperactive kid. It really is not helping that we barely see him interacting with his pokemons, that his goal is only relevant every dozen episode or so, and the filler feeling more pointless for him.

Goh’s writing also feels all over the place, but i already wrote my thoughts on that in the gary ep thread and too lazy to repeat it.

Chloe got downgraded from a unique viewpoint character that isn’t crazy about pokemon like every other character, to a evee transport device. Her early focus ep where it estblishes her bond with yamper, went out the window as soon as evee came as the new mascot. Her whole future career thing has never felt like it’s getting properly explored again. It can be argued that the filler episodes she’s in tend to involve some sort of occupation, and that it’s supposed to be her seeing all the different possibilities for her future. But she has shown very little deeper interest or consideration for them, that it feels like saying the writers meant these to develop her is giving them too much credit.

While it’s not to the point i think the series in itself is completely bad or anything, when thinking about how to describe it the only thing that comes to mind is ‘bland’. It’s kinda sad when the slowking episode is still the only super memorable one.....oh and gary i guess.

janejane6178

The more i think about it the more i realize just how much i feel this series is badly written.

With how ash often just goes into the background not doing much without his main character spotlight, this feels like the most bland his characters has ever been. I’m actually drawing a blank when i try to think of what’s his character had been like aside from hyperactive kid. It really is not helping that we barely see him interacting with his pokemons, that his goal is only relevant every dozen episode or so, and the filler feeling more pointless for him.

Goh’s writing also feels all over the place, but i already wrote my thoughts on that in the gary ep thread and too lazy to repeat it.

Chloe got downgraded from a unique viewpoint character that isn’t crazy about pokemon like every other character, to a evee transport device. Her early focus ep where it estblishes her bond with yamper, went out the window as soon as evee came as the new mascot. Her whole future career thing has never felt like it’s getting properly explored again. It can be argued that the filler episodes she’s in tend to involve some sort of occupation, and that it’s supposed to be her seeing all the different possibilities for her future. But she has shown very little deeper interest or consideration for them, that it feels like saying the writers meant these to develop her is giving them too much credit.

While it’s not to the point i think the series in itself is completely bad or anything, when thinking about how to describe it the only thing that comes to mind is ‘bland’. It’s kinda sad when the slowking episode is still the only super memorable one.....oh and gary i guess.
ACCURATE. When Journeys began I wrote here that Koharu is the best thing about the new series. I didnt care that her hair is ugly, but her personality had potential and was unique. Ever since she got Eevee, her only role is to hold Eevee

Sham

The Guardian of War
Yeah they’ve been reducing the female characters role since XY (really BW but I digress) and it’s just become ridiculous by now. It’s like they give them their honorary 1-3 battles and leave it alone for the rest of the series (or in Serena’s case a bunch of unfinished battles). But between the constant fillers, no access to Galar focused episodes, PWC having weird pacing and Goh’s incredibly boring goal and the only interesting character only being seen every eight episodes.... this series is getting to point were it’s unwatchable. I was hyped for best girl getting the return she deserved and a Gary appearance but nostalgia and introducing former game characters can’t save bad writing.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Yeah they’ve been reducing the female characters role since XY (really BW but I digress) and it’s just become ridiculous by now. It’s like they give them their honorary 1-3 battles and leave it alone for the rest of the series (or in Serena’s case a bunch of unfinished battles). But between the constant fillers, no access to Galar focused episodes, PWC having weird pacing and Goh’s incredibly boring goal and the only interesting character only being seen every eight episodes.... this series is getting to point were it’s unwatchable. I was hyped for best girl getting the return she deserved and a Gary appearance but nostalgia and introducing former game characters can’t save bad writing.
Don't forget the fact the main Pokemon cast are all males (though some Brazilians(?) believe Ash's Dragonite is a chick).

Sham

The Guardian of War
Don't forget the fact the main Pokemon cast are all males (though some Brazilians(?) believe Ash's Dragonite is a chick).
They think that too in English speaking countries. It’s probably because Dragonite displays “feminine” (using this loosely) qualities like hugging, crying and being emotional while retaining a “soft” personality.

Leonhart

Imagineer
ACCURATE. When Journeys began I wrote here that Koharu is the best thing about the new series. I didnt care that her hair is ugly, but her personality had potential and was unique. Ever since she got Eevee, her only role is to hold Eevee
That was to be expected, unfortunately. Eievui is such a highly-marketable Pokemon that anyone who gets one is basically obligated to become a walking Eievui advertisement.

janejane6178

That was to be expected, unfortunately. Eievui is such a highly-marketable Pokemon that anyone who gets one is basically obligated to become a walking Eievui advertisement.
May and Serena had more things going on for them when they had Eevee. Koharu is just aboutEevee. Just smiling and petting it whenever we see her, like a puppet

Btw I know that theblue fish girl had An Eevee too, but she was boring even before getting it

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
May and Serena had more things going on for them when they had Eevee. Koharu is just aboutEevee. Just smiling and petting it whenever we see her, like a puppet
Those two simply had more aces than caring too much about their Eevee, though Serena's excuse was that she obtained hers too late and she didn't have enough time to market it (and the fact showcases were a team effort than giving one Pokemon all the spotlight).