1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on mid battle evolutions

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by matt0044, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt0044

matt0044 Well-Known Member

It's a recurring theme where Pokemon evolve to save the day in the Anime like in the middle of a battle. It can seem cheesy and they seem to love this trope a lot but is possible that adrenaline and strong emotions helps initiate the evolution process where the Pokemon is close to it. They can, after all, stop the evolution process so...

Your thoughts?

2. Champbybirth

Champbybirth Pokechamp is back!

My thoughts:

Its a wonderrful thing and I like it. Such evolutions should also occur in the games as it will be wonderful. For eg: Your last pokemon is in its red hp line same as your foe and it evolves at the right moment saying the day.

3. Kokatsu

Kokatsu Well-Known Member

This would be nice :)

4. Champbybirth

It irritated me a lot in my R/S/E when my pokemon lost when it needed just a few more exp points to evolve.

5. OceanicLanturn

OceanicLanturn Non non non!

It's been far to overused, IMO. Some of them is just cheesy. Like Pokemon A evolved mid-battle and gets an instant Max Potion. It's just lame when that happens. However, sometimes the writer know how to handle them nicely, and we've got a few good examples of good handling of evolution. Sewaddle -> Swadloon is one. It beat two Pokemon during evolution, granted, but it wasn't able to beat Leavanny, its evolved form. This makes it much more easier to believe than the 'evolved-and-1HKO-everything' type of evolution. Another good example would be Turtwig -> Grotle, where it actually had troubles moving after evolution, and it hindered him rather than helped.

To be honest, I hate the 'x pokemon evolves and turns the table against y pokemon and 1HKO'd it with a steroid pumped z move only to be beaten by a noob's X pokemon in the following episode'. I have no problems with winning after evolution, but like, how after evolution the x Pokemon managed to dodge every moves that came from y and 1HKO'd it with a *move* is something I REALLY hate. Make it believable. That's all.

So i'm 50-50 about it. If it's handled well, then yes. If it's not, then it'll probably be the negative highlight of the episode for me.

6. matt0044

I dunno. Their body is being reconstructed so maybe the damage they took in battle is repaired in the process.

7. Champbybirth

As in the games, pokemon receives hp gain after levelling up i.e time of evo. It could be like it, probably.

8. OceanicLanturn

OceanicLanturn Non non non!

Right, except in the games, it's based on the maximum hp (I think) so at most you would gain 3~4, or 5~6 hp per level if you're a Blissey. I find it to be annoying that they're nearly near fainting and BOOM! Evolution, Max Potion saves the day! That's the (personally) most horribly way to evolve and I wished that the writers can handle certain evolutions better.

:3

9. Champbybirth

Hmmm Dats right. They just shouldnt boost them up to full hp...

10. Champbybirth

Also it could be like the pokemon gets powerful (mentally) and focuses its new power and uses it. Probably coz thee anime mostly follows pokemon feelings rather than the physical power like in the games..

11. matt0044

I'm just saying that the Anime doesn't adhere to game mechanics so some power restored and wounds healed in evolution wouldn't be too far-fetched. I do agree that they can be annoying when this trope is used too often in ridiculous ways.

12. Kokatsu

Kokatsu Well-Known Member

Is it just me or has it happened a lot in BW. I don't really remember it happening prior to BW. Well at least gym battles. I know Monferno and Turtwig did fighting Paul and Totdile did in the Johto/Sinnoh arc

13. ChaosMage

ChaosMage Izit cuz I is black?

Well, considering the alternative is for evolutions to either happen in otherwise filler episodes against Team Rocket or totally by random with little to no relation to the plot. I personally prefer for them to evolve after winning a round rather than as a deus ex machina against the last opponent, but if we're going to get evolutions it's only right they happen when it counts. I'd also prefer a bit more set-up, as I like it when there's a bit of foreshadowing for an evolution such as a new move or a change in attitude prior to the growth.

14. Spin Attaxx

Spin Attaxx 2012-2013

Can you say Deus Ex Machina?

15. Champbybirth

Whts that?

16. Spin Attaxx

Spin Attaxx 2012-2013

Deus ex Machina (ˈdāəs eks ˈmäkənə - God from the Machine)
    Noun
    An unexpected power or event saving a hopeless situation, esp. as a plot device in a play or novel.

These are also typically frowned upon and seen as massive cop-outs... which truth be told they are.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  17. Champbybirth

Oh ok... dats right...

18. Champbybirth

They just shouldnt make them extravagantly fast and powerful. Till a lil extent its k. But as I stated before, lil children are tend to think that evo gives infinite power atleast for dat moment. Like in dbz goku is dying then suddenly he turns into ss and d foes become helpless. Similarly dey think of pokémon...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  19. Unoin

Unoin Well-Known Member

It's ok but I prefer after battle evolutions. This would be funny although it shouldn't happen. A stone evolution Pokemon (e.g Eevee) is about to lose a battle, before a trainer throws a stone at it to evolve it and it ends up winning!

20. Pikafleg

Pikafleg Twenty-Six!

well it definitely is unique to the anime, and it's sorta cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.