• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the designs of Sword & Shield's Protagonists?

Which design is your favorite?

• Male Protagonist

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • Female Protagonist

Votes: 86 76.1%

• Total voters

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
9S1SWid.png
N91bymJ.png

Surprised no one made a thread about this considering all the hype that's going on in the Sword & Shield discussion threads of the Pokemon Adventures and Pokemon Anime section.

Anyways new Pokemon generation mean new protagonists and with that, new designs. A popular discussion of topic for especially Sword & Shield adaptations. In the Pokemon anime, I'm sure many of you know that fans are excited that the female protagonist may or may not appear as the next "pokegirl" as fans call them after SM ends. In the Pokemon Adventures manga, I'm sure a lot of you are also aware that fans are excited that both the male and female protagonist will carry on the torch as the next main characters of the future Sword & Shield story arc, the male protagonist getting Sobble and the female protagonist getting Scorbunny as part of Adventures unbroken tradition.

There's also of course talk about their designs, from the clothing to the hats to the hair-styles to the traditional Ohmori creepiness of the smiles they wear. Let's discuss!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well, I like them better than Alola's protagonists, so that's something.

That being said, these characters continue on the sad tradition we've had since Kalos of the playable characters having plain and boring designs. I fully realize this is done on purpose, as to make it easier to customize them, but that's just leads me to dislike customization as a feature. I'd much rather have the base, canon designs look less plain and more interesting than to be able change the clothes, skin color, or hair color. I wish we could get protagonists that looked interesting alongside customization. Personally, I wouldn't even mind dropping customization, but I am fully aware that I'm in the minority there. At least they're not as plain and lifeless as Alola's characters, so it's a step in the right direction.

That aside, the male character's hat bugs me. What's up with the bizarre protrusion on the top? It's almost as weird as the hat the female playable character had in Sun and Moon. Almost. I might just have to go out of my way to actually change my character's clothes for once to get a different hat. The female is the one that looks better to me, as she seems a little less plain, which is a shame as I won't be playing as her.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Well, I like them better than Alola's protagonists, so that's something.

That being said, these characters continue on the sad tradition we've had since Kalos of the playable characters having plain and boring designs. I fully realize this is done on purpose, as to make it easier to customize them, but that's just leads me to dislike customization as a feature. I'd much rather have the base, canon designs look less plain and more interesting than to be able change the clothes, skin color, or hair color. I wish we could get protagonists that looked interesting alongside customization. Personally, I wouldn't even mind dropping customization, but I am fully aware that I'm in the minority there. At least they're not as plain and lifeless as Alola's characters, so it's a step in the right direction.

That aside, the male character's hat bugs me. What's up with the bizarre protrusion on the top? It's almost as weird as the hat the female playable character had in Sun and Moon. Almost. I might just have to go out of my way to actually change my character's clothes for once to get a different hat. The female is the one that looks better to me, as she seems a little less plain, which is a shame as I won't be playing as her.
I agree that gen 7 and 8 ones look plain and generic. But Serena in XY doesnt look generic like them

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Female mainly because the hat isn’t ugly like the male’s. I know it sounds petty but I personally never liked hats all that much to begin with but the male hat is not that pleasing to the eyes in my opinion and the color makes it looking super boring.

.Aerodactyl.

Is absolutely love them!!! I know we had to vote for a favourite, I picked girl just because I am a girl and will play as a girl, but I still love the guy design. I really hope that bag and his hat are available for the girl as well, they are just so cool (sorry to y'all who hate his bag and hat).

It's a weird thing to like, but I'm stoked the girl has an actual backpack instead of a purse. I always hated that I'm literally travelling around the country on foot without an actual bag. I have high hopes for thr customization this time around! Gen 7 added more hair styles, make up options, removable hat and hair colors and way more clothes (although I liked kalos clothing better because the variety was better. We had crop tops, dresses, pants, shorts, long sleeves, etc. SUMO was more but all tropical). Even if they only build on it a little, the trend thus far has only been to expand the feature and with the Switch I'm sure it can handle it.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I like the girl's design more. The player designs are better than the last gen characters overall though tbh and I'm glad the female character has a better hat that doesn't look stupid this time around.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I like both of them; they're both at the upper end of my rankings for base design, but I like the female more (I mean, look at my avatar). I like that they're a bit older; a potential hint imo that they really are going to think more about the older playerbase (who I'm fully confident are the majority). The characters even look, feel, and even act the most human they've done so far.

I'm very optimistic right now for how customization will turn out. I think it could be at least more dynamic this time around, noting the girl wearing something over her dress.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
The female’s hat is better but they’re still both very lame and forgettable. Bring us back the best playable characters called the BW1 protagonists (OK GSC/SM’s male protagonist were refreshing with the colors and whatnot but still)!

Tbh Hilbert was together with Calem the most generic looking male protagonist ever and Hilda also wears the typical cappie like the boys...and well those shorts...

BW2 had way better ones imo.

DannyDark

They both look good, my main concern is whether the male character will be shafted in regards to clothing options again this time around.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
They both look good, my main concern is whether the male character will be shafted in regards to clothing options again this time around.
Yes, please. For that very particular reason, I haven't used any male protagonist since XY.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Ig they’re alright but I’m curious on their names

SoulRebel726

Same. I need to see what the clothing options are before I decide. My poor male character in UM being restricted to t-shirts and tank tops is disappointing.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Surprised no one here is talking about the Scottish memes around the female protagonist except for @Prof. SALTY here. The funniest meme I saw was when the female protagonist found out the Pokemon Champion is the Queen of Englad and saw her Lv. 100 Corgi's. The funniest part was how she said final challenge in a particularly serious tone. Speaking of Scotland, apparently the fem protag's hat isn't a simple pom hat but instead a fashioned Tam o' shanter hat or a Tam cap. Seems like I learn something new everyday.

Last edited: