• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the designs of Sword & Shield's Protagonists?

Which design is your favorite?

• Male Protagonist

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • Female Protagonist

Votes: 86 76.1%

• Total voters

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Surprised no one here is talking about the Scottish memes around the female protagonist except for @Prof. SALTY here. The funniest meme I saw was when the female protagonist found out the Pokemon Champion is the Queen of Englad and saw her Lv. 100 Corgi's. The funniest part was how she said final challenge in a particularly serious tone. Speaking of Scotland, apparently the fem protag's hat isn't a simple pom hat but instead a fashioned Tam o' shanter hat or a Tam cap. Seems like I learn something new everyday.

Yeah her outfit is the reason for the Scottish memes XD

I also liked the Queen one. Good pic.

Orphalesion

I actually quite like the male design, aside from the "100 Megaton Backpack" or whatever that's supposed to be. I really hated how the male PCs looked in Gens 1-4 (especially Brendan with his stupid hat) so I appreciate that they look more "normal" since gen 5.

Female mainly because the hat isn’t ugly like the male’s. I know it sounds petty but I personally never liked hats all that much to begin with but the male hat is not that pleasing to the eyes in my opinion and the color makes it looking super boring.
I hope they let us remove the hat, like in Sun/Moon. That being said I don't think it looks half as bad as Brendan's .....Gen 4 guy's....or Red's.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I think the female design is better, I think the male character’s hat is not a good one. Hope you can change it.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I quite like the female protagonist's looks (better than Kris, Rosa and Lyra, but worse than May, Platinum Dawn and Serena), but I really don't like the backpack.

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
Female protagonist has the better look, but I like both.

Aetius

The female avatar looks objectively better than the male one. XD
Having said this, I think that their design is a bit lacking, but with the possibility of customization, I don't think that's a problem.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I think both are cute, but the male trainer's bag is a little too much.

I'm hoping its size is a sign that the mobile box from LGPE will return. There's no need to need to go to a PC each time for box.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I really like the big boy bag. It fits my aesthetic irl.
I actually don’t mind the bag too but sometimes it gives me the impression that he might break his back as I keep envisioning it to be super heavy. .__.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I'm not feeling the male design. The female one looks adorable, but the male just looks plain generic.

Still, I'm hoping the male doesn't get customization shafted again.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I like the female design a tad more, but I'll likely pick the male design simply because of online interaction.

(If anybody does differently, I won't judge them or anything like that.)

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
What do you mean?
So if you see some random person on an online trading hub (like PSS or Fesitval Plaza), if they are a male in the game, they tend to be male irl, and the same for female characters.

That's not always true, but that is the perception.

I'm not overly sensitive on my own gender, but it is conventional for me to play as a male character because of identifying by gender.

I will sometimes play as female characters sometimes, like that female Octoling I never unlocked in the Octo Expansion in Splatoon 2, but you get the idea.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
You know, the more I look at that backpack, the smaller it seems. But yeah, the female PC is still a better design.

Rapiido

In the Pokemon Adventures manga, I'm sure a lot of you are also aware that fans are excited that both the male and female protagonist will carry on the torch as the next main characters of the future Sword & Shield story arc, the male protagonist getting Sobble and the female protagonist getting Scorbunny as part of Adventures unbroken tradition.

Wait, is this sarcasm...? Ruby and Sapphire are the only pair that that actually applies to...

Male design, as someone who likes the more simplified look, miles above Elio, Calem and Hilbert. Thanks for not being almost completely doused in blue. For customization though, definitely need some button ups, and thank Arceus we get to wear something other than shorts again.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Wait, is this sarcasm...? Ruby and Sapphire are the only pair that that actually applies to...

Male design, as someone who likes the more simplified look, miles above Elio, Calem and Hilbert. Thanks for not being almost completely doused in blue. For customization though, definitely need some button ups, and thank Arceus we get to wear something other than shorts again.
Your going to have to be specific. What sarcasm?

Espeon4232

Long Time Fan
I quite like both of them for the most part. Don't like the males pants but torn just isn't my thing. Also optimistic that they won't just be blank faced from what little was shown in the trailer.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I typically don’t care about the look of the protagonists, so I wouldn’t think about which one would be the “better” design. So eh, I’ll just say I like both equally. Maybe the official art will make the male design look better to some.

I like the female design a tad more, but I'll likely pick the male design simply because of online interaction.

(If anybody does differently, I won't judge them or anything like that.)

Even when I pick the female character or classify myself as female, there are people who still refer to me as male so :rolleyes: