• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the designs of Sword & Shield's Protagonists?

Which design is your favorite?

• Male Protagonist

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • Female Protagonist

Votes: 86 76.1%

• Total voters

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
70 people voted that they liked the female PC’s design more on the poll
Oh I see thankyou, thats because the male is very generic looking

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
You know what's funny? So in the discussion thread about Pokemon Adventures Sword & Shield, one of the important topics of discussions is what could the personalities be for Sword, the male protagonist who is also known as Victor currently, and Shield, the female protagonist who is also known as Gloria currently. This is judged solely on the design of the character and the starter they are expected to get as a reflection of their characters since player characters don't have a lot of expressions. Based on Adventures starter cycle, the male protagonist Sword is expected to get Sobble and in turn, some people think Sword looks like a meek kind boy while the female protagonist Shield is expected to get Scorbunny and in turn, some people think Shield looks like an energetic direct girl. So what's so funny about this lol? This is in line with the jokes and the popular fan perceptions of the perceived gentle boy character and the angry scottish lass lol.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
You know what's funny? So in the discussion thread about Pokemon Adventures Sword & Shield, one of the important topics of discussions is what could the personalities be for Sword, the male protagonist who is also known as Victor currently, and Shield, the female protagonist who is also known as Gloria currently. This is judged solely on the design of the character and the starter they are expected to get as a reflection of their characters since player characters don't have a lot of expressions. Based on Adventures starter cycle, the male protagonist Sword is expected to get Sobble and in turn, some people think Sword looks like a meek kind boy while the female protagonist Shield is expected to get Scorbunny and in turn, some people think Shield looks like an energetic direct girl. So what's so funny about this lol? This is in line with the jokes and the popular fan perceptions of the perceived gentle boy character and the angry scottish lass lol.
I can see this happening. After the June trailer/direct, I’ve been seeing Sword/Victor as a meek character developing courage and the strength to fight as a reference to the King Arthur stories or The Sword in the Stone (which is why I personally call him Wart :p ), while Shield/Gloria seems like someone who’s loud, energetic, & a little obnoxious due her portrayal in all of the Scottish trainer memes.

Last edited:

J. D. Guy

I am going to "buck the trend" and say I like Victor (male player character) more so than Gloria (female player character). I don't dislike Gloria by any means, but between the two, I'mma show some love to the guy's design. (Victor and Milo, I feel, both deserve more love, or at least respect/understanding, then they get.)

For Victor, I actually appreciate (and to an extent, resonate, albeit with a different fashion) the down-to-earth, "salt of the earth," hardiness and warmth of Victor's main outfit. And it's pulled off while still remaining contemporary (the fitted pants w/ "pocket flaps" and l0w-cut or no socks). Like, I like how his outfit looks warm for the possibly chillier environs Galar may have. Gloria's top half looks warm, but goodness, that skirt... Same for Marnie, too... (And Dawn before them...) Also, between the two, I appreciate the implicit sense of "travel-ready" that Victor has. Including his shoes; they look like a simple-yet-sturdy style of walking shoes to me.

Speaking of sturdy, and as if I haven't been contrary enough about Victor already, I love his backpack. It actually looks like a long-term traveler's/hiker's backpack/luggage. I know it's one of the first or second things others love to snipe at about Victor's design, but I love how sensible it is and makes Victor look. It completes the wise hardiness of Victor's overall design. Compared to some school book-bag or a dainty little purse or fanny pack that somehow doubles as a cross-region luggage carrier, Victor's so-teased "briefcase" feels like a breath of realism and ingenuity at the same time. Its square shape also adds personality because of its uniqueness. (I hope I can get the gold version!)

On another note, someone mentioned the choice of their look and poses in their default stock art. I also like that they went with something non-standard (and perhaps even more natural) with them, or at least wth Victor's. What others have called "bland" or "plain" actually gives the male player character a sense of inferable personality to his design, beyond the more typical "shonen-esque/actiony kodomo-esque" traits inferable from a more "actiony" pose. If nothing else, I can appreciate the idea of not having them/Victor look like their perpetually posing to a non-existent camera, as a change of pace. And with their stock art for their uniformed look, they even give them a more actiony, confident look and pose, so we still get that (again, primarily referring to Victor, though some of what I have said in this paragraph applies to Gloria, too).

Last edited:

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
For Victor, I actually appreciate (and to an extent, resonate, albeit with a different fashion) the down-to-earth, "salt of the earth," hardiness and warmth of Victor's main outfit. And it's pulled off while still remaining contemporary (the fitted pants w/ "pocket flaps" and l0w-cut or no socks). Like, I like how his outfit looks warm for the possibly chillier environs Galar may have. Gloria's top half looks warm, but goodness, that skirt... Same for Marnie, too... (And Dawn before them...)

It’s so strangely funny to me that every region with a cooler/chillier atmosphere always has the girl protagonists in short skirts and tank tops. There was DP Dawn, Serena (who’s honestly the least “travel-ready” design of them all, I guess to fit with the fashion theme), and now Gloria- who at least has a sweater and trekking boots on. These three are some of my favorite protagonist designs, but at this point it feels like a bit of a running joke lol.

J. D. Guy

It’s so strangely funny to me that every region with a cooler/chillier atmosphere always has the girl protagonists in short skirts and tank tops. There was DP Dawn, Serena (who’s honestly the least “travel-ready” design of them all, I guess to fit with the fashion theme), and now Gloria- who at least has a sweater and trekking boots on. These three are some of my favorite protagonist designs, but at this point it feels like a bit of a running joke lol.

It's likely just a conincidence, but it is a funny one in an odd little way.

And yes, Gloria's boots do look sturdy, too. But goodness gracious does that skirt throw the look off -- warm, sturdy traveler-wise -- at least for me.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I am going to "buck the trend" and say I like Victor (male player character) more so than Gloria (female player character). I don't dislike Gloria by any means, but between the two, I'mma show some love to the guy's design. (Victor and Milo, I feel, both deserve more love, or at least respect/understanding, then they get.)

For Victor, I actually appreciate (and to an extent, resonate, albeit with a different fashion) the down-to-earth, "salt of the earth," hardiness and warmth of Victor's main outfit. And it's pulled off while still remaining contemporary (the fitted pants w/ "pocket flaps" and l0w-cut or no socks). Like, I like how his outfit looks warm for the possibly chillier environs Galar may have. Gloria's top half looks warm, but goodness, that skirt... Same for Marnie, too... (And Dawn before them...) Also, between the two, I appreciate the implicit sense of "travel-ready" that Victor has. Including his shoes; they look like a simple-yet-sturdy style of walking shoes to me.

Speaking of sturdy, and as if I haven't been contrary enough about Victor already, I love his backpack. It actually looks like a long-term traveler's/hiker's backpack/luggage. I know it's one of the first or second things others love to snipe at about Victor's design, but I love how sensible it is and makes Victor look. It completes the wise hardiness of Victor's overall design. Compared to some school book-bag or a dainty little purse or fanny pack that somehow doubles as a cross-region luggage carrier, Victor's so-teased "briefcase" feels like a breath of realism and ingenuity at the same time. Its square shape also adds personality because of its uniqueness. (I hope I can get the gold version!)

On another note, someone mentioned the choice of their look and poses in their default stock art. I also like that they went with something non-standard (and perhaps even more natural) with them, or at least wth Victor's. What others have called "bland" or "plain" actually gives the male player character a sense of inferable personality to his design, beyond the more typical "shonen-esque/actiony kodomo-esque" traits inferable from a more "actiony" pose. If nothing else, I can appreciate the idea of not having them/Victor look like their perpetually posing to a non-existent camera, as a change of pace. And with their stock art for their uniformed look, they even give them a more actiony, confident look and pose, so we still get that (again, primarily referring to Victor, though some of what I have said in this paragraph applies to Gloria, too).
I have to admit that I’ve really been starting to love Victor the more his design sinks in, and all of the stuff you pointed really fits the idea that his design and schtick may have taken some influences from stories like King Arthur or David and Goliath: a humble and meek nobody developing the courage to stand up for himself & become the champion the world needs

I’m still torn between him & Gloria though since all of the Scottish trainer memes & fan comics really caused me to gravitate towards her. Granted, those jokes have nothing to do with her true character, but they work with her design (both in complimenting with the plaid in her outfit and her boots while contrasting with the more feminine parts like her skirt), giving people the idea that she has a strong personality not normally seen by Pokémon protagonists right from the start.

Last edited:

DannyDark

Do ya'll think that the names will remain as Victor and Gloria?
I'm just remembering back in the XY days when I believe it initially came out through demos that the protagonists were called Xavier and Yvonne, which were changed to Calem and Serena come release.

J. D. Guy

I have to admit that I’ve really been starting to love Victor the more his design sinks in, and all of the stuff you pointed really fits the idea that his design and schtick may have taken some influences from stories like King Arthur or David and Goliath: a humble and meek nobody developing the courage to stand up for himself & become the champion the world needs

I’m still torn between him & Gloria though since all of the Scottish trainer memes & fan comics really caused me to gravitate towards her. Granted, those jokes have nothing to do with her true character, but they work with her design (both in complimenting with the plaid in her outfit and her boots while contrasting with the more feminine parts like her skirt), giving people the idea that she has a strong personality not normally seen by Pokémon protagonists right from the start.

Happy to see another showing some appreciation for Victor. Also, nice thought about the potential King Arthur/David parallels/inspirations.

Do ya'll think that the names will remain as Victor and Gloria?
I'm just remembering back in the XY days when I believe it initially came out through demos that the protagonists were called Xavier and Yvonne, which were changed to Calem and Serena come release.

Could go either way at this point, I suppose. We'll have to see. They may not even give official names to them upon release, meaning the demo/treehouse names will stick. (Especially if the non-chosen player character isn't made a character in the games, which seems to be the case again this time around.)

Orphalesion

Why are the "official" names for the protags so important? Unless this is a game were the protag you don't choose is an actual character in the game, their "official" names are just placeholders.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Why are the "official" names for the protags so important? Unless this is a game were the protag you don't choose is an actual character in the game, their "official" names are just placeholders.
It's nothing big. It's to simply refer to each playable character by their given identity, making it easier to point out whose who, especially during discussions of said character, rather than refer to them as the male or female protagonist of a specific region. For example, instead of saying Red & Green, saying the Kanto male protagonist and the Kanto female protagonist is a mouthful, especially when you refer to both in the same sentence.

Looking up closelly, i would say that Sword/Victor looks to generic, both the pants and the jacket are jut to plain in desing an color in contrast to every other male protagonist, that doesn't seem part of his personallity (And the beany doesn't help).
On the other side, Shield/Gloria outfit is more fitting to the region, the beret is very "scottish"(?) (And doesn cover her whole hair), the sweater have a pattern that say "Made from Wooloo wool", and her boot are just badass.
Also, Gloria looks girly eyelashes give her more charm (And she looks like Onodera), while Victor ridiculous "backpack" make him look more stiffer.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I've voted for female protagonist, but it's more of a case where both equally have fantastic visuals and you had to pick one based on your preference.

More of Serena over Calem in XY, despite Calem didn't have any flaws.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I've voted for female protagonist, but it's more of a case where both equally have fantastic visuals and you had to pick one based on your preference.

More of Serena over Calem in XY, despite Calem didn't have any flaws.
Really? Calem looked like a poor man’s Hilbert lol.

And I personally still think Gloria’s default coat is tacky

Ultra Beast Lover

Gloria looks cute playing with the snowflakes, wonder how Victor's going to look while doing just that. I think part of the reason so many love Gloria is because she's shown so much in the trailers and with a bunch of personality while Victor is shown less and doesn't seem to have as many character defining moments. It'll probably even out when the games are released.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Really? Calem looked like a poor man’s Hilbert lol.

And I personally still think Gloria’s default coat is tacky

I just hated Callum’s hair. It looked like a mop, and it’s unfortunate because his design aside from that was nice, even if he was a lesser Hilbert clone.

Last edited: