• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the designs of Sword & Shield's Protagonists?

Which design is your favorite?

• Male Protagonist

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • Female Protagonist

Votes: 86 76.1%

• Total voters

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Hate both Hilbert and Calem. They're the most generic and bland designed characters ever.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Hate both Hilbert and Calem. They're the most generic and bland designed characters ever.
I think Hilbert is an awesome re-imagining of the classic gen 1 design. Reminds me of the excellent JoJo reboot designs that manga fans love. I especially like Hilbert's Adventures counterpart, Black who just has one of the most amazing Pokemon journeys ever.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I think Hilbert is an awesome re-imagining of the classic gen 1 design. Reminds me of the excellent JoJo reboot designs that manga fans love. I especially like Hilbert's Adventures counterpart, Black who just has one of the most amazing Pokemon journeys ever.

Them resembling the gen 1 characters is the actual flaw. Once again jackets, caps and long, generic pants. Something gen 1-2 already did and close to the typical cliche trainer designs.
His design lacked originality or any kind of inspiration other than gen 1 pandering, that's why I found him to be looking boring. Calem did have the exact same flaws.

shoz999

Them resembling the gen 1 characters is the actual flaw. Once again jackets, caps and long, generic pants. Something gen 1-2 already did and close to the typical cliche trainer designs.
His design lacked originality or any kind of inspiration other than gen 1 pandering, that's why I found him to be looking boring. Calem did have the exact same flaws.
I don't believe that's really Gen 1 pandering. If anything it's a great example of how to reboot a design right, a fresh new take on a classic look that started from Gen 1 while keeping some of the spirit of the original and thus has created one of my favorite new character designs.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Really? Calem looked like a poor man’s Hilbert lol.

And I personally still think Gloria’s default coat is tacky
I completely disagree with both of these. Calem's design is actually my favorite so far for the male protagonist.

And Gloria's default sweater is sensible and comfy-looking.

Lunalah

I never really like the designs of any of the playable characters and Victor and Gloria are no different. I guess if I had to pick the best of the lot then I'd say Gloria looks a little better but I plan on changing her look as much as I can so that she won't look so homely.

Dicklaycia

Objectively Better Than You
The female protagonist has a lot more appeal to me. She simply has the cuter default outfit! Plus, the female characters tend to have the better customization, so I’d like to explore those options in Sword and Shield.

shoz999

The female protagonist has a lot more appeal to me. She simply has the cuter default outfit! Plus, the female characters tend to have the better customization, so I’d like to explore those options in Sword and Shield.
Male Protagonist sobs in a corner - "I want glitter too..."

Kirinriki

Double Trouble
Not too keen on either Gloria or Victor, and I much prefer our gen 7 protagonists. In a region full of standout characters they seem rather plain, and I’m not a fan of their clothing and backpacks either.

I think I prefer Victor over Gloria, in part because I’m not keen on Gloria’s official artwork.

Brendan017

Honestly I didn't like any of the protagonists after gen 4, they are really bland and uninteresting designs.
Victor is still really bland, but he still feels a little different from the others, most of the male trainers had blue as their main color with Red baseball hat. The females usually have more personality but I still prefer to play as male characters in every game.

Orphalesion

Not too keen on either Gloria or Victor, and I much prefer our gen 7 protagonists. In a region full of standout characters they seem rather plain, and I’m not a fan of their clothing and backpacks either.

I think I prefer Victor over Gloria, in part because I’m not keen on Gloria’s official artwork.

I think that's because we have costumization now and can create a better look. And tbh I pretty much hated all the male protagonist designs before Gen 5.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Tbh I found the designs pre-Gen 5 (with some exceptions like May, Leaf, Platinum Dawn, and Lyra) pretty uninteresting and frankly awful to look at (looking at you, Brendan). I like that with the foreign inspiration for newer Gens, more creative designs have taken inspiration from their respective real life countries; the cool, sleek casual wear in Unova, fashion focus of Kalos, tropical focus of Alola, and now the very UK-based clothing of Galar.

Brendan017

I still think that the gen 5-7 designs are the worst, they look identical. Customization is good but the base charatcers should still look good becouse we have to look at them a lot during the advertising of the games and also at the beginning of the games. Plus they will look like that in Pokemon Masters too.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I love the Gen 5 designs personally, i don’t mind Hilbert/Hilda/Nate/Rosa.