• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the designs of Sword & Shield's Protagonists?

Which design is your favorite?

• Male Protagonist

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • Female Protagonist

Votes: 86 76.1%

• Total voters

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Does anyone else think the official art for them looks...not great? It threw me off-guard at first because honestly, they look like fake CoroCoro leaks. Their official art sticks out like a sore thumb among the other characters.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Does anyone else think the official art for them looks...not great? It threw me off-guard at first because honestly, they look like fake CoroCoro leaks. Their official art sticks out like a sore thumb among the other characters.
I agree; they are pretty bad. The girl looks like she's unsure what she's doing with herself and the boy just looks weird. Is he supposed to be trying to listen for something?

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???

I know for a fact that the art is rotated by several designers who each have different quirks and design styles. This can range from pokemon to characters. In fact, for Sun/Moon many of the trainer art was actually rotated from multiple people funnily enough. It's possible that James Turner or some other designer did the trainer art and aren't really good at drawing people. Multiple pokemon are made by multiple designers and while Ken Sugimori has a role in that a majority of the pokemon art now is more or less split among the artists.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Thought this was pretty interesting but some fans are already giving them the default names, "Sword" for the boy and "Shield" for the girl until their actual names are revealed. It's nothing too unusual, Gen 7's protagonist was originally called Sun & Moon and Gen 6's protagonist was originally called Yvonne and Xavier before their actual canon names were shown.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I am always play female character.....in the Pokemon games......as male characters looks so damn bored from gen 4 to 7

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
I generally play the male trainer, but this is, hands down, the worst trainer design they've done so far. The female trainer is... OK, but the male trainer is just dumb looking.

Frostfall

I like the female design better and as usual am hoping for some nice customization! If the colors are game exclusives like they were in sun/moon, I'm getting whatever game allows cool colors by default.

Oroka

Both of them look alright, but the male has continued a running gag that started with Ethan on HeartGold and SoulSilver (no socks on the Male trainers). Ethan of HGSS didn't wear socks, Nate of B2W2 didn't, and Elio of SM and USUM didn't either (though in the latter's defence, Alola did have an extremely warm atmosphere).

It's funny, at the moment the only one main character we can confirm that doesn't wears socks is Elio in the game (in adventure, he wears and even sleep with socks on, Gladion too). Is very possible that Nate doens't, but Gold wears ankle or no-show socks in the manga, and Brendan who seems to go sockless, goes with socks on without shoes in some houses.

This guy looks to much hipster to me. I prefer the girl.

Last edited:

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
After watching Demo and seeing the characters in HD, I feel like the male protagonist looks like one of the bests we've received in past decade and he is grown on me. Here is hoping character customization and clothing options shown for both genders in next month.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
The male protagonist has grown on me too.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I like the male trainer except for the suit case on my back, that's being changed right away lol.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Tom/Victor just looks bland and uninspired with his primarily red and blue color scheme (also his ridiculous backpack) whereas Jane/Gloria has more going on with her design, which is nicer to look at

They have two names each? I like the female more than the male and I'm beginning to wonder if Gamefreak purposely designs the girls better because this is the 4th time in a row that I prefer the female protagonist over the male.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I also prefer the female playable character's aesthetics over the male's. The male's design seems pretty insipid, which is something that I've also felt regarding most male playable character designs since as far back as Black and White. If I end up getting these games at all, I'll probably play as "Gloria" since the female characters usually have better clothing options at boutiques, anyway.

MockingJ

Banned
I like Victor's design. He's not the most amazing boy character ever but since customization is thankfully a thing in these new games, at least I can change up his style and make him cooler looking.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I’m starting to like the male trainer a little better, because there’s nothing offensively wrong with him (unlike Calem’s mop hair and the goofy design of USUM Elio), he’s just boring. I felt that the female and male designs were on equal playing fields in terms of quality until Gen 6, when imo Serena, Selene, and now Gloria are completely stealing the show.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Thought I check this thread after it's been some while... and lol... the female Pokemon Trainer is one point away from 70 lol. Is the male Pokemon Trainer's default look really that boring looking to you guys compared to the female Pokemon Trainer?

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Thought I check this thread after it's been some while... and lol... the female Pokemon Trainer is one point away from 70 lol. Is the male Pokemon Trainer's default look really that boring looking to you guys compared to the female Pokemon Trainer?
What do u mean by 70?