• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Masters 8/PWC as a whole?

Blood Red

【推しの子】
I’m not sure what your point is exactly. Olympic athletes don’t have all of their family and friends travel to watch them compete. There are a lot of times where NBC has a live feed from the family and friends watching the competition live on TV.

(And I’m not including the 2020 2021 Tokyo Olympics in that because of COVID travel restrictions…this predates COVID).
This isn't the real world though, you understand that right? Travel is so cheap that a couple kids can travel halfway 'round the world for some ice cream, and character motivations and schedules are completely up to the people actually writing the show.

I get that real world obligations are a thing, but...this isn't the real world.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
This isn't the real world though, you understand that right?
I get that real world obligations are a thing, but...this isn't the real world.
Yes, I do understand that.

I just feel its a really weird argument to make, like they're almost looking for things to complain about.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Yes, I do understand that.

I just feel its a really weird argument to make, like they're almost looking for things to complain about.
I personally think it's a pretty valid complaint tbh, the show could've done a lot more to give Ash's big moment a bit more...gravitas, shall we say.

Broseph08

Last battle became even better to me now that Ash is gone honestly. I still dislike Leon's ace being a Charizard of all things but I can't deny that the final clash of a 25 year running anime coming down to the two most iconic Pokemon in the franchise isn't fitting

TheNewGuy

I'm even more satisfied with this now I know he's done. The Leon fight was the perfect climax to Ash's story and Ash/Cynthia is at minimum top 5 for the show. It remains the only league to deliver two top-tier battles unless you count the Alain fight in Kalos.

Hindsight is also helping to mend the irritation of the waits - the breaks and recaps - and focus only on the episodes themselves.

masdog

I personally think it's a pretty valid complaint tbh, the show could've done a lot more to give Ash's big moment a bit more...gravitas, shall we say.
I agree that there should have been something to give the moment more gravitas. With the way the M8 was executed, I don't think having everyone there to cheer Ash on would make it better, though, because it would be too crowded to give everyone meaningful interactions on screen.

And yeah, my use of real-world logic doesn't really fit here.

mockingjay

swift and lol
The cameos were cool but the characters seemed so OOC and half baked, Ash's development was non-existent throughout. Take away the championships which was always part of Ash's endgame and this would have been a pretty average series.

Phreack

ph334r me!...Please?
I don't care about anything but the fact my boy is finally a recognized World Champion. I'm reviving this dormant account after 6 years since the last venting revival just to celebrate now.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I absolutely agree that the PWC could have been more epic but also I'm really at a loss how people think this is the worst league lol
Not even close imo, only Sinnoh league clears it easily, with Johto and Alola league a great contender imo

While yeah the animation was ROUGH and Leon's battle pre Ash were meh, I really enjoyed it ESP Ash vs Cynthia and Leon
Knowing it was THE final battle, Ash vs Leon is enhanced so much for me man. It was perfect, Pikachu vs Charizard as the final battle for Ash's career fits

masdog

Applying real world logic to a show that defies even its own rules is...something.
And yeah, my use of real-world logic doesn't really fit here.
In hindsight, using real world logic to explain why Ash didn't have a huge cheering section is a lot more sane than the discussion that tries to use real world genetics to prove that Ash and <insert Pokegirl here> are Ryko's parents.

masdog

AJ97

I'm even more satisfied with this now I know he's done. The Leon fight was the perfect climax to Ash's story and Ash/Cynthia is at minimum top 5 for the show. It remains the only league to deliver two top-tier battles unless you count the Alain fight in Kalos.

Hindsight is also helping to mend the irritation of the waits - the breaks and recaps - and focus only on the episodes themselves.
Additionally,

I would argue Lance vs Diantha is much better than all Non-MC Leagues battle's we've seen in a league (Compared to Paul vs Barry, Sawyer vs Tierno etc).

Also, Ash vs Steven is arguably Ash's best opening league battle to date. I also consider it one of Ash's best 3v3 League battles. It would've definitely been the best had they extended Aggron vs Dracovish and Pikachu vs Metagross.

TheNewGuy

Additionally,

I would argue Lance vs Diantha is much better than all Non-MC Leagues battle's we've seen in a league (Compared to Paul vs Barry, Sawyer vs Tierno etc).

Also, Ash vs Steven is arguably Ash's best opening league battle to date. I also consider it one of Ash's best 3v3 League battles. It would've definitely been the best had they extended Aggron vs Dracovish and Pikachu vs Metagross.

Ash/Steven suffered early with some static encounters but improved massively in the second half. Probably not as good as the Conway match but I liked it a lot.

Lance/Diantha is my favourite ever non-Ash match with the exception of the weirdly, brilliantly brutal Lana/Guzma.

ShuckFam

I like the concept because it basically is the 'champion league' that Cybercubed so badly wanted. The Ash vs Cynthia battle was the best.