• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Syther

Y not?
"This isn't for me and I hate it so I hope it fails" is an intensely silly and senseless way to regard this game.

I would argue this continued notion borders on selfishness, because the message it projects is that the only Pokémon games Game Freak should be making are those that appeal to the HARDCORE (thunder, lightning, echo) fans and everyone else is meaningless and can go fork themselves. And I don't think that's a great viewpoint to hold, when spelled out like that.
If they called this a spinoff, like it should be, this would be less of a problem.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
If they called this a spinoff, like it should be, this would be less of a problem.
Well it might look like a spin-off because of Pokémon GO mechanics being in the game and simplified gameplay but these are not strictly the criteria of a spin-off game although it seems that simplified gameplay is a big indicator of a spin-off game. It is considered to be a main series game because of Game Freak primarily developing the game.

BCVM22

That's exactly it. They called it a "main series game" because it is not simply another side title. It was developed by Game Freak, and it was clearly built as a core title, with certain elements then intentionally omitted. It is clearly not meant to be any kind of referendum on where the more traditional core titles are headed, and saying "well if they just called it a spinoff title we wouldn't be complaining" is to view the matter in a fashion so binary as to be outright inaccurate.

Julia Artemis

Honestly for the CP candy system alone these games will be amazing and fun. Also vast improvement on the pokeride idea it feels less cutscene-y and awkward and more streamlined. Using Stoutland as a itemfinder was annoying and didnt work very well, but using Pikachu tail (and I assume Eevee as well) to hint there is an item nearby is way better. I really feel like there's interesting ideas here and people are not even willing to acknowledge that which is frustrating. Too many are nitpicking on the smallest details that are at best are slight annoyances. But no game is 100 percent perfect. Sure we all want gen 8 now but in the mean time this will hold me over and I legit want to see some of these features come back especially CP and having a pokebox in your bag. I would be fine with wild battles come back but if not? Meh, it's not really needed either. I mean you could just use Quick or Timer balls in USUM

Syther

Y not?
Well I'm sorry things are going this way, but I'm more willing to accept Coliseum and XD as core titles than the Lets go games despite them being developed by someone else.

The Let's go games are clearly targeted at the Mobile Go player, but it's also clear to me that Nintendo still doesn't have a firm understanding of the mobile market yet and that also seems to stretch to the pokemon company.

Mario Run, another mobile game, wound up failing all because people had to pay a few bucks to get the full game. (the constant internet connection might have been a factor too, but this is the mobile market we're talking about here) Most if not all successful mobile games are free to play and use micro transactions to make money.

Now despite that, Pokemon sun and Moon did pretty well after Go's release, but $120-$240 (if you don't have a 3ds family system) is financially easier to swallow opposed to a $360-$400 price for the casual player. I'm not so sure the Lets go games will even be successful with the intended target audence.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'm not so sure the Lets go games will even be successful with the intended target audence.
I can see that the biggest barrier to that is their accessibility to the Switch console due to its price and we don't really know how many GO players own a Switch but it is definitely a major factor of LGPE sales.

BCVM22

but I'm more willing to accept Coliseum and XD as core titles than the Lets go games despite them being developed by someone else.

And that makes very little sense, given that traveling and Pokémon battling were just about the only thing those titles shared with the core titles.

I'm not so sure the Lets go games will even be successful with the intended target audence.

I think combining Switch's already considerable install base, with the selling power of Pokémon, will result in very capable sales.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I think combining Switch's already considerable install base, with the selling power of Pokémon, will result in very capable sales.
Whether it will surpass the sales of Sun and Moon or X and Y is one question I'm wondering. LGPE certainly has the potential to do so.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
But as this new breed of title, they don't have to surpass Sun & Moon in order to be successful.
I guess if its sales surpass 5 million then it is already doing very well as a game of its own kind.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I already said, it's the risk vs. reward factor. Perhaps your in the middle of Victory Road. You think the end is in sight, but you're not sure. You're Pokémon are getting low in health, but it's a long way back to the Pokémon Center, and you don't want to spend that time. Now you have the choice, do you press on to make it to the end, but risk fainting and being thrown back anyways, or do you play it safe and take the extra time to go back and heal. It's a fundamental element of Pokémon. If you can change your party using the Box in your bag, then you have as many reserves as you want, waiting there at no cost. Now there's no risk vs. reward at all.

Umm, what risk? Why would I walk back all the way to a pokémon centre when I can get a free teleport by wiping if I'm almost down? Or I can just continue going by using a couple of Sitrus berries, or potions, or whatever. I'm assuming the old limited bag system from Gen 1 isn't coming back here so not having bag space for potions isn't an issue.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Umm, what risk? Why would I walk back all the way to a pokémon centre when I can get a free teleport by wiping if I'm almost down? Or I can just continue going by using a couple of Sitrus berries, or potions, or whatever. I'm assuming the old limited bag system from Gen 1 isn't coming back here so not having bag space for potions isn't an issue.
At this stage we don't know if the field move mechanic will be in LGPE but assuming that the field move mechanic doesn't return, you'll have to stock up on Potions in preparation for Victory Road etc. and it will naturally make the game harder by removing field moves that allow you to instantly go back to a Pokémon Center, which also depends on if Escape Ropes are in the game or not.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
At this stage we don't know if the field move mechanic will be in LGPE but assuming that the field move mechanic doesn't return, you'll have to stock up on Potions in preparation for Victory Road etc. and it will naturally make the game harder by removing field moves that allow you to instantly go back to a Pokémon Center, which also depends on if Escape Ropes are in the game or not.

What? I wasn't talking about field moves. I was talking about just wiping to get back to the pokémon centre because that's faster than walking back, and you can get some free exp in the battle in which you wipe as a bonus. It doesn't matter if there's no field moves or no escape ropes, wiping always gets you back to the last pokémon centre you visited. There's like no reason to waste time walking back to a pokémon centre when wiping skips all that. Or you don't wipe and get to the next area quicker.

ArtFenix

"This isn't for me and I hate it so I hope it fails" is an intensely silly and senseless way to regard this game.

I would argue this continued notion borders on selfishness
No, it's because people are afraid the beloved series is slowly turning into a Pokemon Go side project and losing most of the things the series gained such a huge following in the first place. Who's to say Gen 8 or 9 will not borrow some questionable mechanics if the "Let's Go" games end up very successful?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
What? I wasn't talking about field moves. I was talking about just wiping to get back to the pokémon centre because that's faster than walking back, and you can get some free exp in the battle in which you wipe as a bonus. It doesn't matter if there's no field moves or no escape ropes, wiping always gets you back to the last pokémon centre you visited. There's like no reason to waste time walking back to a pokémon centre when wiping skips all that. Or you don't wipe and get to the next area quicker.
What do you mean by wiping? I know what blacking or whiting out means, in which you go straight back to the Pokémon Center after you lose a battle.

Arcanineblitz

Oh so we’ve reached the gloom and doom stage of the e3 hype train already?

Pokémon was never hardcore these games less so so just skip them and wait for the 2019 games that you’ll still get mad about for not fulfilling your head cannon wishlist.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
That's indeed what I mean. Blacking out, wiping, whiting out, fainting your party.
What a good guess. Although I have to say that losing all the time is a good way to get more EXP.

BCVM22

No, it's because people are afraid the beloved series is slowly turning into a Pokemon Go side project and losing most of the things the series gained such a huge following in the first place.

In light of being told verbatim that next year’s games will be a wholly different and more traditional experience, this notion ultimately distills out to being overreactive fearmongering. “Stand against these heathen casual titles, lest they end up infecting your hardcore experience!”

Who's to say Gen 8 or 9 will not borrow some questionable mechanics if the "Let's Go" games end up very successful?

Because if Generation VIII is releasing in fall of 2019, then they almost literally cannot do that. They aren’t going to release games in November 2018, wait a month to see the reception, and then use that reception to force major changes to games that need to be finished less than a year after that. The time needed for development wouldn’t allow that, and like the rest of this notion that LGP/E are some sort of casual infection that needs to be inoculated against, it falls apart under even the slightest scrutiny.

I would go as far as to argue that anyone legitimately concerned that the filthy casuals are going to ruin their hardcore Pokémon, despite being told multiple times to the contrary, is engaging in willfull ignorance solely in the name of overreacting.