• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Well the Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed stats are confirmed to be in the game, which is a deviation from the stat system in Pokémon GO, which only had HP, Attack and Defense.

Qn5qkGv.png

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Well the Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed stats are confirmed to be in the game, which is a deviation from the stat system in Pokémon GO, which only had HP, Attack and Defense.

Qn5qkGv.png

The GO Park notifies you that the changes will be made to Pokemon prior transferring, which I presume the remaining stats and Natures will be added at that stage.

33qDecc.png

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I really like the fact you get a shoulderrmon and 1 that follows you. The difficulty is a concern though.
I don't think the difficulty will concern the new players much considering a number of them will be unfamiliar with the gameplay of a traditional Pokémon game and it will be a bridge for them to the main series Pokémon games. But I do still like the concept of having both the starter Pokémon on your shoulder while having another Pokémon follow you too.
The GO Park notifies you that the changes will be made to Pokemon prior transferring, which I presume the remaining stats and Natures will be added at that stage.

33qDecc.png
Possibly. That can also explain the changes to CP calculations in LGPE to take account of the Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed stats.

Arcanineblitz

I missed most of the treehouse did they explain what value CP has?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
looks cool, the gameplay really did nothing to improve my excitement or anything, which is pretty non-existent. I won't be getting the game until the new 2019 ones come out and I get a switch for that game, then I'll see if I am still interested in LGPE. I'll definitely play it, because it's pokemon, but I don't see myself having anywhere near as much fun as any of the core games with it except for riding pokemon around, which I assume will be in the 2019 game anyways... so we shall see if I actually buy these ones.

I'm still waiting for pokemon to actually run up to each other or get a little closer for physical attacks.... pikachu's double kick looks like it is just bouncing on the spot.. woo go switch animation..

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I don't think they ever explained the significance of CP other than the fact it is used to determine the capture rate of Pokémon transferred to GO Park and their levels.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Surprised not many have replied to your post.

You make some interesting points that support the fan outcry we've been getting since these games focus on a smaller and much more casual audience rather than the larger audience previous titles have been appealing too. It's very odd of Masuda to generate a game for a specific audience, leaving many other fans feel left out. The easy solution to this problem is just adding a difficulty modifier for both new players and experienced players.
There is nothing smaller about the intended audience of LGPE compared to the core titles. It is, by definition, and entry level game, meaning it's intended for newcomers; casuals; and anyone who left the franchise a decade or more ago, found Go to be interesting and fun, but thinks too much has happened in the series that it would be difficult to get back into it. Even just the "newcomers" portion of the intended audience includes both young children who have seen parents/siblings/other relatives playing Go or the other pokemon games, and anyone of any age that pokemon may have sparked an interest in. It is literally impossible for that audience to be smaller than the "core audience". It may be a riskier group since they aren't already dedicated to buying the game before it's name is even released, but it is in no way the smaller group.

However, it still baffles me as to why these games are incredibly over-simplified. The transition from this game to the next game is going to be vastly different since it will not retain any GO Mechanics, and will most likely bring back Items, Abilities, Megas, etc.

This is going to be overwhelming for these new players. This game would have been the perfect opportunity for them teach and demonstrate these aspects to younger individuals through (optional) tutorials, maybe through an enhanced version of the Teachy TV.
You don't see this game as a great halfway point between the simplicity of Go and the complexity of Sun and Moon? I do! It has the catching features of go with the battles and story of a core game. Many of the underlying complexities of the core games are still included in these games, making them a great bridge from one to the other.

Game Freak is such a confusing and incompetent game-developing company. Sun and Moon was nearly a step in the right direction in terms of difficulty with the Totem Battles and the advanced AI. A lot of children enjoyed these games according to reviews on Common Sense Media. However, this game and USUM seem to take things in the wrong direction, making us constantly question our trust with this company.
USUM is better than Sun and Moon. Other than being too similar and not needing to be two games instead of a traditional third game, how was USUM a wrong direction?
Also, it's not fair to consider LGPE a wrong direction for the series when it's not redirecting the series, it's branching off.

The more I learn about this, the more I hope it winds up being the worst selling "core" pokemon game in the franchise! Fire Red and Leaf Green are better remakes than this game, and I was in high school when those games came out.
Heck, Coliseum and XD are even better "spinoffs" than this game is turning out to be. I don't even want to buy it new. If I get it at all, it would be a doesn't count used sale.
It is already doing fine in sales, despite your small attempt at hindering it.

If they called this a spinoff, like it should be, this would be less of a problem.
Just call it a spinoff then! It practically is a spinoff except for 2 major differences from all other spinoff games: 1) It's develeoped by Game Freak, 2) It's based on a previous core title with a spinoff game's mechanics mixed in.

It's basically the same in Let's Go as it is in GO. It's just a number that broadly (and mostly inaccurately) gives you an idea of how powerful a pokemon is and how difficult it will be to catch. CP uses level, base stats and IVs in it's calculation. It's nothing more than a guideline, though, because two very different pokemon can have the same CP and two similar pokemon can have different CP.

For example, two Rattata at level 20 can have differing CP because their IVs are different. A Rattata at level 20 could have the same CP as a Rattata at level 25 because the level 25 specimen has worse IVs. You could even have two Rattata with identical IVs have very different CP because of their levels being different.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
You don't see this game as a great halfway point between the simplicity of Go and the complexity of Sun and Moon? I do! It has the catching features of go with the battles and story of a core game. Many of the underlying complexities of the core games are still included in these games, making them a great bridge from one to the other.

Personally it doesn't really feel that way. It's down to opinion, but I think they lean too close to GO and not enough to Sun and Moon. I just really dislike the lack of wild pokémon battles and I really think that they're necessary to adjust the difficulty curve if your team has a bad matchup to a boss or if you're not that good at battling or use a larger roster of pokémon. Granted, you can catch pokémon to grind, but I can imagine that being very frustrating and annoying, especially if you're not good at aiming with motion controls and you keep on missing the balls or they keep on escaping your attempts. I tried using the motion controls on the 3DS games for the PokéFinder and the Ultra Warpride and I am absolutely terrible at it, I just can't manage the precision. I could imagine myself getting very frustrated with keeping on failing to catch stuff when I just want to grind a bunch of pokémon a couple of levels while not even wanting all those new wild pokémon.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Personally it doesn't really feel that way. It's down to opinion, but I think they lean too close to GO and not enough to Sun and Moon. I just really dislike the lack of wild pokémon battles and I really think that they're necessary to adjust the difficulty curve if your team has a bad matchup to a boss or if you're not that good at battling or use a larger roster of pokémon. Granted, you can catch pokémon to grind, but I can imagine that being very frustrating and annoying, especially if you're not good at aiming with motion controls and you keep on missing the balls or they keep on escaping your attempts. I tried using the motion controls on the 3DS games for the PokéFinder and the Ultra Warpride and I am absolutely terrible at it, I just can't manage the precision. I could imagine myself getting very frustrated with keeping on failing to catch stuff when I just want to grind a bunch of pokémon a couple of levels while not even wanting all those new wild pokémon.
From what I've seen of the gameplay, it looks like aiming has very little to do with it. There are different throwing methods (over hand, under hand, diagonal or from the side) and the pokemon can move side to side like in Go, but it so far looks like aiming will play little part in catching and very little motion is actually needed. It will likely be a flick of the wrist in a specific direction that will determine which way your character throws the ball, but most of the gameplay looks like the ball always goes right to the center of that circle that gets smaller and determines whether you got a nice or great throw. Pokebeach actually said in his demo review that people at the E3 demo were quickly finding that a real throwing motion was sending the ball too far or too high and it was traveling over the pokemon.

Catching pokemon over and over is going to be a large part of these games, just like in Go. Aside from battling trainers, it's how pokemon will gain experience and how we will get candy for the candy jar that are used to EV train pokemon.

That said, the games are still going to play a lot like Yellow. I think once they come out, people will see that it's a good mix of both games.

The biggest thing people need to keep in mind is this is not a typical pokemon game. Treat it like a spinoff, because it basically is one. Go into it thinking of it as a new game and enjoy it for what it is, instead of treating it like a deformed clone of the normal games.

Last edited:

Nockturne

I understand the role the Let's Go games are supposed to play, and I get the idea of simplifying the games to entice more people to the franchise, but one thing I've never really understood is why battling wild Pokemon was seen as a complexity that needed removing. I know they are trying to make it similar to GO, but to be honest I never really understood why it wasn't part of GO either.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Now despite that, Pokemon sun and Moon did pretty well after Go's release

How would GO impact Sun and Moon's sales?

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
How would GO impact Sun and Moon's sales?
Both GO and Sun/Moon were released in 2016, and GO was rumored to be one of the main sources to attract oldies/newbies to the series, and later on to use it as the strategy to increase S/M's sales, which it did sell 10 million of copies in its first week of release if I'm not mistaken.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Both GO and Sun/Moon were released in 2016, and GO was rumored to be one of the main sources to attract oldies/newbies to the series, and later on to use it as the strategy to increase S/M's sales, which it did sell 10 million of copies in its first week of release if I'm not mistaken.
Okay, that's a good point, my question should have been how would it negatively impact SM, because that's what @Syther implied: that SM did well despite GO? which doesn't make sense?

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Okay, that's a good point, my question should have been how would it negatively impact SM, because that's what @Syther implied: that SM did well despite GO? which doesn't make sense?
Sorry, I've just ready yours as the last post and replied to it. As for GO, it must be an undeniable fact that it lead players, or rather the hesitant players buy S/M, which I'd say the minority, but Sun/Moon was going to do well regardless of GO's impact. Based on the sales chart, I'd safely assume that its' role made them outsell X/Y.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Hold up just one second - Sun and Moon have not outsold X and Y (yet, but they will) and Go was noted specifically as having substantially increased sales of X and Y themselves, as much of its initial hype-based sales surge occurred during the summer before Sun and Moon were released.

Just wanted to clarify that - Go helped the 3DS games' sales a ton, but not entirely where one might expect at first glance.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Hold up just one second - Sun and Moon have not outsold X and Y (yet, but they will) and Go was noted specifically as having substantially increased sales of X and Y themselves, as much of its initial hype-based sales surge occurred during the summer before Sun and Moon were released.

Just wanted to clarify that - Go helped the 3DS games' sales a ton, but not entirely where one might expect at first glance.
Okay, but I think this thread got derailed a bit -- @Syther's claim is that GO should have harmed SM sales and SM did well despite GO, which I.don't.understand.at.all!!!!!!

Creyk

What I don't get is that they keep saying Pokemon Lets Go is all about catching Pokemon, and yet they are letting you import pokemon from GO. Most Pokemon fans have at least 50% of the original Pokemon in GO already and combine that with the Pokemon running in the wild and you've got yourself with all 150 original Pokemon very early on.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Okay, but I think this thread got derailed a bit -- @Syther's claim is that GO should have harmed SM sales and SM did well despite GO, which I.don't.understand.at.all!!!!!!

Yeah, that perspective holds no water. I think discussing Go's impact is relevant given its relation to these games, but you're right.

There's no way in which it would have harmed SM's sales. It was well received, boosted sales of the Gen 6 games, set records within mobile gaming, generated hundreds of millions in revenue, and in all only helped the brand and thus sales of the brand's primary product line.

There might just be a misunderstanding in their use of the word "despite" though.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
What I don't get is that they keep saying Pokemon Lets Go is all about catching Pokemon, and yet they are letting you import pokemon from GO. Most Pokemon fans have at least 50% of the original Pokemon in GO already and combine that with the Pokemon running in the wild and you've got yourself with all 150 original Pokemon very early on.
You don't have access to your Go pokemon early on. They get sent to the Go Park, which is where the Safari Zone was in the orginal games. You likely need at least half of the badges before you can get to it.

Last edited: