• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

PirateKing

What’s everyone’s thoughts on what the story is going be like?

Now that it’s confirmed that Red and Blue aren’t the player characters, I think they’ve probably mixed up the story, more than what they’ve implied so far from calling it a Yellow remake. It seems like everything is similar (We seemingly start at Pallet Town, but how would that work since the only houses belong to Red and Blue, up till the Gold and silver years atleast.
Team Rocket still attacks Silph co, Mewtwo is still in Cerulean Cave, etc.)

They confirmed some gyms will be totally different from yellow, so maybe this game actually takes place afterwards more like a sequel, so we’ll get Janine and Blue instead of Koga and Giovanni?

Or maybe it takes place like 20 minutes after, like the reason we choose Pikachu or Eevee is because we overslept, and Red and Blue already got Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle.

We follow along with their jouney like rivals, so the events in the “canon” story play out pretty much the same, and we just happen to be there too in Silph Co, Team Rockets headquarters, etc.

Maybe Jessie and James take over the Viridian City Gym after Red kicks Giovanni out, and they become the 8th Gym leaders. And like Blue became the champion 10 minutes before Red...Red himself became champion 10 minutes before us, and he becomes the final battle.

Lots of questions, hope the next trailer clears it up.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Or maybe it takes place like 20 minutes after, like the reason we choose Pikachu or Eevee is because we overslept, and Red and Blue already got Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle.

We follow along with their jouney like rivals, so the events in the “canon” story play out pretty much the same, and we just happen to be there too in Silph Co, Team Rockets headquarters, etc.

Maybe Jessie and James take over the Viridian City Gym after Red kicks Giovanni out, and they become the 8th Gym leaders. And like Blue became the champion 10 minutes before Red...Red himself became champion 10 minutes before us, and he becomes the final battle.
Wow this would be so epic.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I consider Leaf to be like Fiona and Cake: female equivalents to the main characters in a different reality. I don't think Red and Leaf exist in the same dimension/timeline/reality/thing

PirateKing

I'm starting to really like that idea the more I think about it,
It'll let us see the classic story from an outside perspective, see what Red and Blue actually did in Canon, while preserving the "player avatar" aspect by letting us go on own own journey instead
Like how Lillie was arguably the "main character" of the story in S/M with the player on their own journey that tied into it, they could do something similar here with Red. (Though obviously not as much, since he only talks in dots, and probably wont show up as much)

Sarefan

Hylden General.
Geez, all the negativity here. You don't like it, fine. Don't whine about what you think a Pokémon game should be and what isn't. Don't shove it into the throats of people who do like it. Don't blame GameFreak, blame yourself.

Kage-Pikachu

God dang! 506 calls on hold and I only have 8 minutes of my break left... Freaking customers!

lol, anyway, back to Pokemon. I like the idea of having Red and Blue make appearances in the game but I think since Red took care of Team Rocket initially, this could show us the origin of Team Rainbow Rocket. Maybe a timeline in which Team Rainbow Rocket failed to come to be despite their resurgence or the world where
Giovanni fled to after the events of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Blue as the Gym Leader would be cool and it'd be nice to take Red's place as Champion. I think they should mix up his team though, he has many other encounters in the game such as the fossil Pokemon, the Magikarp from the salesman, and possibly traded Pokemon from those tunnels so there's no need to keep giving him the same team...

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I like the idea of having Red and Blue make appearances in the game but I think since Red took care of Team Rocket initially, this could show us the origin of Team Rainbow Rocket. Maybe a timeline in which Team Rainbow Rocket failed to come to be despite their resurgence or the world where
Giovanni fled to after the events of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Blue as the Gym Leader would be cool and it'd be nice to take Red's place as Champion. I think they should mix up his team though, he has many other encounters in the game such as the fossil Pokemon, the Magikarp from the salesman, and possibly traded Pokemon from those tunnels so there's no need to keep giving him the same team...

You can see that Team Rocket is appearing in game.
fWD7dlt.png

I believe that the games are most likely to set in a completely different timeline than any other mainline series, but to feature Red and Blue as Kanto's prominent trainers still. I can totally see them being side characters to help the protagonist throughout the story.

Still, I hope Trace wouldn't end up being the Champion, however.

Kage-Pikachu

Thanks for that picture, I'm curious as to who the champion is too.

Maybe we'll finally learn why Red went into seclusion and stopped communicating with everyone, including his mom... I doubt they'll bring that up though but it still makes me wonder how exactly Lance became the Champion...

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Geez, all the negativity here. You don't like it, fine. Don't whine about what you think a Pokémon game should be and what isn't. Don't shove it into the throats of people who do like it. Don't blame GameFreak, blame yourself.

Umm, people that dislike the game and have problems with it have just as much right to express their opinions here as people that like the game...

Kage-Pikachu

True, as long as they explain their reasoning, I actually enjoy reading people's preferences, I was surprised that there were people who wanted to return to Kanto for example and it was cool reading through this discussion. Took hours, lol

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah, maybe Giovanni won't have that double life in LGPE. I will be fine too if he is Champion to reflect better on the original games and I personally don't want Trace to become Champion.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Right, it's kind of funny how Giovanni made absolutely NO attempt to hide his identity such as when he too over Saffron City and held the president hostage but is STILL permitted to act as a Gym Leader. What the heck Officer Jenny?!
Even the shading in his original official art felt that there was something suspicious about him. But now he doesn't really have to be as mysterious as before because we now know him as the leader of Team Rocket. Maybe in the Team Rocket Hideout we can see areas where Pokémon look sad.

Cradily17

I see the GameFreak apologists are out in full force like always. We have every right to be concerned about these cashgrab games and what effects they will have on the future of the series. "B-But GameFreak said Gen 8 -" Yeah. They also said USUM would have "ultra changes" and we all know how that turned out. There was literally a screenshot where the female trainer's feet weren't visibly touching stairs. They couldn't be bothered to animate Blastoise firing water from its cannons even though it did in the Pokemon Stadium games released two decades ago. Forcing players to use type advantages for the gyms instead of figuring out everything on their own like they should is just downright insulting.

erickexl

I see the GameFreak apologists are out in full force like always. We have every right to be concerned about these cashgrab games and what effects they will have on the future of the series. "B-But GameFreak said Gen 8 -" Yeah. They also said USUM would have "ultra changes" and we all know how that turned out. There was literally a screenshot where the female trainer's feet weren't visibly touching stairs. They couldn't be bothered to animate Blastoise firing water from its cannons even though it did in the Pokemon Stadium games released two decades ago. Forcing players to use type advantages for the gyms instead of figuring out everything on their own like they should is just downright insulting.

Aii see, I was with you when you mentioned GameFreak and their inability follow up with their statements,
But then you go on to criticize some unimportant factors of the game.
I think the type advantage requirement is perfectly fine and teaches people easily. I don't really get what the problem is with that feature.

Also I'd really like to know what you all find engaging about this game at all. At this point it seems like mindless button mashing to piledrive your way to the Elite Four.

I commend Kage-Pikachu's optimistic nature as well others. I hope my comments don't turn you guys away from the game, if you even do intend to buy it.

I'd just like to understand why anyone is willing to throw their money at a game with less features that costs $60, when you would get much more content out of games like XY, SuMo, and USUM. The whole Mew dilemma is another contribution to what appears to be nothing but a cash grab.

Some intend to buy it purely for Co-Op, but how can you and your S/O possibly enjoy a $60 Hand holding simulator?
I'm just really confused at the severe amount of dumbed-down gameplay. Geese let their children learn to climb up sidewalks, we really can't let children learn to play the game without having their hand held? We're such an intelligent species, yet we have to resort to this.
If I had a child, I wouldn't buy them this game. I doubt they'd be interested at all, even if it was for my baby cousins that I frequently send gifts to.

I doubt this game will fail. I have a hunch it will be successful. That's my fear though. My fear is another game like this. Hopefully it's a one-off and we get a different take of second-line remakes.

It's ridiculous how this game could easily appeal to nearly the whole audience, if only they provided a level curve. Most want Overworld pokemon, Most want rideable Pokemon. Kanto Pandering? Gimme us some more of that even though we didn't ask for that. But to shun us away because you want to make a game for "casuals" even though you (Masuda) wanted to make sure it appeals to everyone? How hypocritical of him and the company to make something like this.

Honestly, I'm also baffled at who the target audience really is. Is it children? or is it newborns?The game didn't need to be severely watered down for this to appeal to them. I really want to hear a great explanation why this is the case.