• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

PirateKing

Has no mentioned how you need to pay $50 for Mew? How do you defend this? Please..
You dont pay $50 for Mew.
You pay $50 for a unique Joy Con controller that functions as a Pokewalker, Pokeball Plus, has a more powerful rumble and is equipped with sound effects. You pay for all that, and they give you Mew as a little extra.
Mew is not required to complete the pokedex, was not in the original games outside of glitches and special events, and is frequently given away for free though wifi events.

Saying you pay $50 for Mew is like saying you had an all you can eat chinese buffet, but the price you paid to get in was for the little fortune cookie they give you afterwards.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
If I had a child, I wouldn't buy them this game. I doubt they'd be interested at all, even if it was for my baby cousins that I frequently send gifts to.

I agree with what you said, except the parent part, now a days parents will buy anything to keep their kids quiet in front of the tv.

Also I really don't think this will be cannon to the games or be directly connected, just a side story in a parallel world that doesn't have the main characters from the story we are used to. If they connected the story from these to the main series it would be annoying for them to say this is the bridge for go players, but hcore players have to buy it too if they want that part of the story.

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
The need to have a super-effective type for the Gyms (at the moment only confirmed for Brock, other Gyms are still up in the air) likely not matters too much for newbies but for series veterans that know the type chart like the back of their hand it can be akin to Rotom Dex’s “useless advice”. Restricting obtaining Mew to getting the Pokeball Plus controller also slaps an additional cost “forcing” players to either buy the game and Pokeball Plus bundle or shelling out for the controller itself (in Australia it is basically equivalent to getting two Switch games with it going for around $70).

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
The need to have a super-effective type for the Gyms (at the moment only confirmed for Brock, other Gyms are still up in the air) likely not matters too much for newbies but for series veterans that know the type chart like the back of their hand it can be akin to Rotom Dex’s “useless advice”. Restricting obtaining Mew to getting the Pokeball Plus controller also slaps an additional cost “forcing” players to either buy the game and Pokeball Plus bundle or shelling out for the controller itself (in Australia it is basically equivalent to getting two Switch games with it going for around $70).
Can't you get Mew through GO?

erickexl

Can't you get Mew through GO?
They confirmed you cannot.

Funny that PirateKing mentions that Mew used to be given out over Wifi for free, but we now we need to pay for $50 accessory to get it now.

The accessory is neat, I'll give it that. Doesn't mean everyone wants it and shouldn't have to buy it just to get a pokemon to actually COMPLETE their pokedex. Nearly everyone knows Mew's a thing. Of course their going to be inclined to finish the whole thing, doesn't matter if the game requires it or not.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

erickexl

Edit @ 19:38: Added various direct feed images to our Pre-Release Screenshot Page
Edit: It's confirmed that Mew cannot be sent from Pokémon GO to Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu & Let's Go Eevee so it can only be obtained through the Poké Ball Plus. It's also noted that the Mew gift may not be able to be redeemed after a certain period of time. This period of time is unclear

This is from the Serebii Homepage from Tuesday.

erickexl

I get that it's useless advice, but weren't we all planning to use a mon with a type advantage? Don't see why that making it mandatory now is such a big deal. It's not like you have to use it once you battle Brock.

These are the complaints I don't quite understand sometimes haha. I was actually fine with RotomDex and the whole Trainer school thing in SuMo.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'm definitely holding LGPE until later because of Mew only being obtainable through the Poké Ball Plus. Not too sure if you can use a Poké Ball Plus that has been used to obtain Mew to obtain Mew in another save.

Orphalesion

Mew being Pokeball-Plus exclusive is definitely something that shouldn't happen. Especially if they specifically make it so that Mew can't be transferred from Go... I mean...that sounds very shady.
What they maybe should have done is give the Mew that comes with Pokeball Plus something extra, like an exclusive move or ability or whatever. (Wait are abilities even a thing in LGPE?)

Though maybe there will be ways to get Mew later on through some sort of event(s)?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Has no mentioned how you need to pay $50 for Mew? How do you defend this? Please..
Yea it's a Poke-paywall. I truly hope that things like this don't continue. Another one I can remember was back when Pokemon Colosseum came out and Jirachi was in a disc. But at least we only had to pay the one price for the game and not a combined one. And one other, when I got Soul Silver and got the Pokewalker and got access to the Pokemon in it, but again, only paying the one price.

Mew being Pokeball-Plus exclusive is definitely something that shouldn't happen. Especially if they specifically make it so that Mew can't be transferred from Go... I mean...that sounds very shady.
What they maybe should have done is give the Mew that comes with Pokeball Plus something extra, like an exclusive move or ability or whatever. (Wait are abilities even a thing in LGPE?)

Though maybe there will be ways to get Mew later on through some sort of event(s)?
Are you kidding me? We aren't able to transfer Mew from Go? That's baloney. The whole Pokeball Plus is nothing more than a cash grab then.

https://pokemonblog.com/2018/06/12/...to-pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-and-lets-go-eevee/

That says a lot right there. Leaves a lot of fans out who DO NOT want to bother getting the extra. They're basically strong arming people now. That's just sick.

Can only imagine the sheer amount of people scalping these bundles. Let alone the Pokeball Pluses. Ugh.

Guess I'll be going Mew-less then.

I hope so. Only I'd hope it wouldn't be too early on as I'm not getting a Switch for quite some time to come. I really don't like timed events.

They confirmed you cannot.

Funny that PirateKing mentions that Mew used to be given out over Wifi for free, but we now we need to pay for $50 accessory to get it now.

The accessory is neat, I'll give it that. Doesn't mean everyone wants it and shouldn't have to buy it just to get a pokemon to actually COMPLETE their pokedex. Nearly everyone knows Mew's a thing. Of course their going to be inclined to finish the whole thing, doesn't matter if the game requires it or not.
Yep. I remember getting one and it was fun.

Now it's the Poke Haves and Have Nots.

Whatever. *shrug*

Agreed.

Edit @ 19:38: Added various direct feed images to our Pre-Release Screenshot Page
Edit: It's confirmed that Mew cannot be sent from Pokémon GO to Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu & Let's Go Eevee so it can only be obtained through the Poké Ball Plus. It's also noted that the Mew gift may not be able to be redeemed after a certain period of time. This period of time is unclear

Ugh that's even worse for anyone who wants to hold out. We'd be screwed over. Way to go Game Freak.

It's nothing by sheer greed on their parts.

Play Let's Go -- you can catch all 151* Pokemon

*Make that 150, unless you buy that separate accessory... then you can catch Mew...

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Well I think the reason why held items aren't in the game as it seems is because of the lack of a held item mechanic in Pokémon GO and the Gen 1 games.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Umm, people that dislike the game and have problems with it have just as much right to express their opinions here as people that like the game...

Sure - if they make actual criticisms that are valid and that we can actually discuss. I don't see much of a point in posts - positive or negative - that don't further any sort of dialogue or discussion, you know?

I don't get why you guys need to shun anyone who says something negative about the games.
Just cause it isn't for us doesn't mean we can't criticize it.

I see the GameFreak apologists are out in full force like always. We have every right to be concerned about these cashgrab games and what effects they will have on the future of the series. "B-But GameFreak said Gen 8 -" Yeah. They also said USUM would have "ultra changes" and we all know how that turned out. There was literally a screenshot where the female trainer's feet weren't visibly touching stairs. They couldn't be bothered to animate Blastoise firing water from its cannons even though it did in the Pokemon Stadium games released two decades ago. Forcing players to use type advantages for the gyms instead of figuring out everything on their own like they should is just downright insulting.

Or maybe - just maybe - we could be talking about actual, legitimate criticisms that aren't problems people have with the very fact this game exists. I'm not here to constantly hear "ugh so hand holdy" five thousand times before release. We have WELL established that there are people who despise the fact that these games are easier, who can't fathom why on earth Game Freak would do that, and think the series was already easy enough for kids.

We have also well established that those people are decidedly not the intended audience for these games. That criticism loses value after the six hundredth time, or so, it is brought up.

You can say "Game Freak apologists," Cradily17, but there's certainly a sect of the fanbase that is the exact opposite. There are members who I have seen say nothing positive about these games, Game Freak, or even Nintendo since the outset of these games' announcement. It's exhausting to try to engage in conversation about new games in our favorite series when so much of the discussion is this kind of criticism.

Criticize the visual presentation. Criticize the story, insofar as we know about it (very little). Criticize this, that, or the other thing, but when the literal point of these games is to be easier, entry-level games with Go features to pander to Go players, there's only so much criticism of that purpose you can do before it's just not productive to discuss at length anymore.

They have not yet said a word that indicates there's no other way to get Mew. There could be plenty of other distributions over the lifetime of the game, both physical and digital, and they could change whether you can transfer the Mew from Go at literally any time.

Plus, if you really want, we can get into a socio-economic discussion about how plenty of event pokemon were locked behind an effective implicit paywall that acted as a function of those with opportunity versus those without, but that's a bit much for tonight.

Orphalesion

That is true, there has always been that stuff about event Pokemon, irrc Jirachi was ridiculously difficult to get for a long time and even today some regions frequently miss out on legendaries/mythicals. (On Jirachi it could be argued that Pokemon Channel was just a way to sell an overpriced Jirachi)
Plus, in Pokemon Go (the mobile app) it's even with some regular species. How many people can afford a quick trip to good old Nippon to get that Farfetch'd? Or to Africa just so they can catch a Tropius? As long as that doesn't happen in the Main Series, I'm happy.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
That is true, there has always been that stuff about event Pokemon, irrc Jirachi was ridiculously difficult to get for a long time and even today some regions frequently miss out on legendaries/mythicals. (On Jirachi it could be argued that Pokemon Channel was just a way to sell an overpriced Jirachi)
Plus, in Pokemon Go (the mobile app) it's even with some regular species. How many people can afford a quick trip to good old Nippon to get that Farfetch'd? Or to Africa just so they can catch a Tropius? As long as that doesn't happen in the Main Series, I'm happy.
Good point there.

Yep. I lucked out with an event they had, so I was able to get a Farfetch'd in the US. But for a lot of them, I can never travel to any of the places that have exclusive Pokemon. I hope they don't do that either. Closest we've come to that is with Vivillion and its different patterns.

Last edited:

BlackButterfree

Oh look, they even put a friendly rival into Gen 1. Taking away one of the very few rivals that wasn't friendly to you.....

This friendly rival trend needs to stop already.

I know. Wally was cool because they gave you a story about him overcoming his illness. Barry was tolerable because he was super impatient, and actually got strong. Cheren and Bianca were adorable and had good stories. The Kalos crew is overwhelmingly disliked, but I quite have a soft spot for them. And then Hau just sickens me.

I agree. Also, the dude has a black shirt and green pants like Blue's Alola design. Why tease us like that, when it's not the same character? The same applies to the player characters. If the rival isn't Blue, the PC's are obviously not Red and Leaf, yet the designs also look heavily inspired by them, specifically the boy's by Red's.

So i guess wild pokemon will be in the different area's then R/B/Y.

Besides the starters, there are no Grass and Water types before Brock

Bulbasaur shows up in Viridian Forest, so I'd assume Bulbasaur and Pikachu are caught there, Eevee and Charmander in Mt. Moon (mountainous terrain) and Squirtle is caught in Cerulean Cape over in Route 25 by Bill's house. Keep them in early areas of the game, but spaced out far enough that you get them after each of the first two badges.

I don't know, this footage actually made me more excited for these games, unlike most people who are now more turned off than ever. I still think they're a shameless cashgrab, and I feel insulted about the excessive hand holding of a pocket pc, nicknaming from the menu and the whole Gym thing, and the lack of Blue, but I'm excited about scaled following Pokémon, and Mew in the Poké Ball+.

Also, the fact that Brock looks the same, the "lightyears" dude is still a young kid, that same Bug Catcher is still at the beginning of Viridian Forest makes it very evident this takes place in the same part of the timeline as the original Red and Green/Blue do, yet we're not playing as Red/Leaf and fighting Blue? Hmm... My Multiverse-sense is tingling.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

Game Freak: Look one of the major features of this game is that you can transfer pokemons from Pokemon Go to LGEP
Game Freak: Except Mew because we wanted to make sure you'd buy a completely unecessary 50$ gadget. Have fun not completing your dex otherwise.

This is the kind of stuff i would expect from a freemium mobile game and not a 60$ console game. Seriously, this is almost a tie-in sale.

Don't you have any faith on your product's quality that you'd have to resort to such a petty tactic?

They have not yet said a word that indicates there's no other way to get Mew. There could be plenty of other distributions over the lifetime of the game, both physical and digital, and they could change whether you can transfer the Mew from Go at literally any time.
Serebii literally said there was no other way of obtaining it. Why otherwise would they remove the possibility of transfering Mew from Go to LGEP if not for making ppl buy the pokeball plus?

Plus, if you really want, we can get into a socio-economic discussion about how plenty of event pokemon were locked behind an effective implicit paywall that acted as a function of those with opportunity versus those without, but that's a bit much for tonight.
Oh right because the fans never complained about that FOR AGES.

With generation 6, we finally got what we wanted after years of asking for it, but now it looks like they are going back to their old ways.

And somehow you are defending this because...?!

Last edited:

BCVM22

Have fun not completing your dex otherwise.

Event Legendaries don't count towards (or against) a full Pokédex. Never have. That's why they're always at the tail end of the Pokédex, so as not to leave an unsightly gap if you can't obtain one. Problem solved! Glad I could help all those people out there worried about this.

Don't you have any faith on your product's quality that you'd have to resort to such a petty tactic?

Sure they do! I'm sure they have the utmost faith in the product's quality. It's intensely silly to think that they're sitting there fretting, "oh god, this thing sucks, we need some kind of carrot on a stick here." That's silly. Very silly. No one actually thinks that, even if they think they think that. But some extra incentive helps just the same. It's not either/or - they can have all the faith in the world in the product and still add some extra incentive to buy it.

And somehow you are defending this because...?!

Possibly because it isn't remotely any kind of big deal, but I would hate to unduly speak for the original poster in that regard.

The best part of all this unnecessary consternation is that we don't yet know what sort of connectivity LGP/E will offer with past games and future games, via Bank or otherwise. It's not entirely out of the question that this is a lot of keening and wailing over a Mew that's locked to a single game. I don't personally think that will be the case but it can't be ruled out.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

Event Legendaries don't count towards (or against) a full Pokédex. Never have. That's why they're always at the tail end of the Pokédex, so as not to leave an unsightly gap if you can't obtain one. Problem solved! Glad I could help all those people out there worried about this.
Don't mistake getting the shiny charm/diploma for completing the dex. It is not the same thing, especially now that Gen 7 made it so you only have to complete the regional dex in order to get the charm.

If i were to buy this game i would certainly want to catch them all, since it focuses so much on catching a bunch of them and it only has the original 151 species.

Sure they do! I'm sure they have the utmost faith in the product's quality. It's intensely silly to think that they're sitting there fretting, "oh god, this thing sucks, we need some kind of carrot on a stick here." That's silly. Very silly. No one actually thinks that, even if they think they think that. But some extra incentive helps just the same. It's not either/or - they can have all the faith in the world in the product and still add some extra incentive to buy
An incentive would be to give Mew without making it impossible to obtain it by any other mean.
They went out of their way to make sure you wouldn't be able to transfer it like other pokemon from Go, so it is clear what they intended here.

Possibly because it isn't remotely any kind of big deal, but I would hate to unduly speak for the original poster in that regard.

The best part of all this unnecessary consternation is that we don't yet know what sort of connectivity LGP/E will offer with past games and future games, via Bank or otherwise. It's not entirely out of the question that this is a lot of keening and wailing over a Mew that's locked to a single game. I don't personally think that will be the case but it can't be ruled out.
why would they make it impossible for ppl to transfer mew by using Pokemon Go but make it possible by using the pokemon bank?

That makes absolutely no sense and it is kind of delusional to be honest.