• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
We have that in every region. Honestly, the diversity is killing me.

I'd like to see a highly unique region where certain types just don't exist. Preferably, I'd love to ser a desert region based on ancient Egypt.
you'd probably have to have at least another region with that then for a bit of diversity because, I'm not sure about everyone else, but I find deserts quite annoying in the games :p

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Like the quick time events? That'd be pretty cool.
Maybe this time it could test your deduction skills because I feel that timed button presses are quite easy.

Ultra Beast Lover

you'd probably have to have at least another region with that then for a bit of diversity because, I'm not sure about everyone else, but I find deserts quite annoying in the games :p
I don't mind deserts but it's the same reason I wouldn't want a region to be just ice, it's really boring to just walk through the same environment. You need diversity in there somewhere to make exciting

Sulfurian

I don't care what new "gimmick" this gen has, as long as it isn't Pokemon fusions with other pokemon or especially humans.

Ultra Beast Lover

This is gonna sound weird and kinda dumb but I kinda hope that this time the PC is the one who's kidnapped by the evil team. Nothing too dramatic and you'd be able to escape easily which results in hilarity when you run into the rival who infiltrated the base to save you. Pokemon's done some pretty dark stuff before with kidnappings like with Rui so it's not that out of place.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
This is gonna sound weird and kinda dumb but I kinda hope that this time the PC is the one who's kidnapped by the evil team. Nothing too dramatic and you'd be able to escape easily which results in hilarity when you run into the rival who infiltrated the base to save you. Pokemon's done some pretty dark stuff before with kidnappings like with Rui so it's not that out of place.

Honestly, I can't really imagine anything in Pokémon being darker than Lusamine. Any more than that and it stops being E for Everyone.

However, I would love to see more dark tones in the series. I want to see them push the limits of how dark an E rated game can be.

Orphalesion

It wouldn't be terrible. Animal Crossing does this very well. It gives you reasons to keep coming back to the game even after you finish the main objective.

I love when games have things to do that can keep me occupied until the next iteration is released.

As Greywind has said Animal Crossing and Pokemon can't really be compared. It would be very bad if Pokemon locks you into something during the whole of the story.

And even for making people come back there's no need for seasons that last as long as they do in real life. One month is long enough, I'd even make it as short as one or two weeks per season.

Ultra Beast Lover

Honestly, I can't really imagine anything in Pokémon being darker than Lusamine. Any more than that and it stops being E for Everyone.

However, I would love to see more dark tones in the series. I want to see them push the limits of how dark an E rated game can be.
If they're clever they can get away with a lot, Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life was E rated and the player died in the end. And let's not forget Detective Pikachu which had a ketchup stain and berry juice on the ground to look like blood.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
If they're clever they can get away with a lot, Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life was E rated and the player died in the end. And let's not forget Detective Pikachu which had a ketchup stain and berry juice on the ground to look like blood.

Both of those seem pretty tame. Death isn't exactly uncommon in children's media.

However, to have a severely mentally broken woman who drove herself insane trying to lead her [presumably] late husband's legacy to the point where she's abusing and neglecting her children, leading one to run away and the other to revert to a state of fetal trauma? That's some R-rated stuff right there. lol

Ultra Beast Lover

Both of those seem pretty tame. Death isn't exactly uncommon in children's media.

However, to have a severely mentally broken woman who drove herself insane trying to lead her [presumably] late husband's legacy to the point where she's abusing and neglecting her children, leading one to run away and the other to revert to a state of fetal trauma? That's some R-rated stuff right there. lol
And if they can get away with that who knows what they could do

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’ve always wanted two teams with one being good and trying to stop the evil team. Sort of like Magma and Aqua but one team is completely good. If you are a certain age, you join the good team and work as a double agent by pretending to join the evil team and you gather info. I think it’d make an interesting story arc in the games.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I’ve always wanted two teams with one being good and trying to stop the evil team. Sort of like Magma and Aqua but one team is completely good. If you are a certain age, you join the good team and work as a double agent by pretending to join the evil team and you gather info. I think it’d make an interesting story arc in the games.

Ugh! I'm tired of being good! Can't we be evil instead?

I would so love a Pokémon game where we can choose which side we want to join. You have no idea how badly I wanted to join Team Flare. I was so mad about taking them out.

Ultra Beast Lover

That'd be really cool, it'd both have someone helping out again and it'd give the rivals/gym leaders something to do. Besides, we're always faced with other people's greatness, might as well be awesome to. And furthermore, it makes no sense that after the what ninth time the world/region was put in danger someone hasn't just gone, "Y'know what? I'm sick of these groups putting the world in danger, I'mma fight back."

Orphalesion

The PC being kidnapped by the Evil Team doesn't have to be *that* dramatic or dark (remember we are talking about an evil team in Pokemon, not about real world criminals). It could be as tame as the PC stumbling upon one of their meetings, being shoved into a truck and then being locked in some holding cell/basement/whatever or being knocked out with a Hypno (or other Pokemon that puts you to sleep) and being locked up. Stuff like that happens in children's media (Duck Tales, SU, Adventure Time, MLP...)

The only problem with the rival rescuing you is that it removes agency from the player. It might be better that the player is given the means to break out themselves and then, while sneaking through the evil headquarters they meet and team up with the rival for some epic double battles and stuff.
The escape might have some interesting puzzle gameplay, could even involve things like you befriending the Pokemon they have set to guard you.

Sulfurian

They're already edging in on that so I wouldn't be surprised if we get more of this.

Eh box legends are fine, nobody uses them anyway. But if more pokemon end up being fusion fodder it just takes away the value of individual pokemon. (You've been my best friend now surrender your powers to this other pokemon)

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Ugh! I'm tired of being good! Can't we be evil instead?

I would so love a Pokémon game where we can choose which side we want to join. You have no idea how badly I wanted to join Team Flare. I was so mad about taking them out.
That would be an interesting twist.

I'd like it for your main rival to be the leader of the villain team again.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It'll be interesting to be on the side of a villainous team for once but if there is no ultimate goal the player must reach while being in the villainous team then where is the sense of progression? As a member of the villainous team, possible goals could be the player aims to steal as many different species of Pokémon as possible or to attain an administrative rank in the villainous team.

Sulfurian

Optional tutorials, more interactive cutscenes, better story, characters not forced into my mc's life (hau and 6 gen rivals) make legendaries hard to find again (no forcing us to catch one to finish story that got old after gen 5) polish up features so they don't feel pointless.

Combine festival plaza with gen 6's communications. Only bring back pokemon following you after you fix or polish the fluff in these games, don't waste precious time for fan demands, on a feature with no real benefit.

Have patience. Don't let yokai watch make you push a ridiculous release date. I have the bar set pretty low after gens 6 and 7 so any surprises are gonna be most welcomed.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
As Greywind has said Animal Crossing and Pokemon can't really be compared. It would be very bad if Pokemon locks you into something during the whole of the story.

And even for making people come back there's no need for seasons that last as long as they do in real life. One month is long enough, I'd even make it as short as one or two weeks per season.

I’m not suggesting that any part of the main story has to be completed at a specific time of year, that would be ludicrous. I’m suggesting that some side-quest-type things are only available during certain parts of the year. For instance, it wouldn’t be out of the question for the available Pokémon on some routes to change throughout the year, just like migration in animals. That’s not to say they wouldn’t be available somewhere else in the game at that time. Non-key Items are easily something that could be locked behind time, especially consumables. Character customizations (clothing or hair) could require a specific season or holiday to be obtained.

I like really in-depth games that require exploration and some dedication to truly complete. I don’t want a game with a linear story that I sped through and had no reason to pick back up. Being able to play through every season in one month cheapens the concept of seasons. I’d rather not see them be time-based if they were shortened. They would be better off just being locations with different seasonal weather.