• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

BCVM22

Don't mistake getting the shiny charm/diploma for completing the dex. It is not the same thing

I'm not mistaking anything. In a history of the games rewarding you for completing the Pokédex, a history that goes back two decades, they've never counted the event Legendaries against you. To phrase it differently, whatever NPC in this version of Kanto will you give a diploma or whatever will gladly do so at 150 seen/150 caught.

If i were to buy this game i would certainly want to catch them all, since it focuses so much on catching a bunch of them and it only has the original 151 species.

Even with Mew, there's a very good chance you can't do that with a single game, though.

An incentive would be to give Mew without making it impossible to obtain it by any other mean.

For now. They could announce a Mew event for all citizens a year from now and that would be that. One doesn't preclude them from doing the other.

so it is clear what they intended here.

It is! They intend for you to buy their special Poké Ball controller, and if you do, you get a Mew. You can either say "I accept your terms" or "no." It is very clear what they intended here, which is to sell their product. Which, for the record, is the goal for any product no matter what.

why would they make it impossible for ppl to transfer mew by using Pokemon Go but make it possible by using the pokemon bank?

Why would they do one thing but also do a completely different thing? Beats me. I do know that Bank compatibility or lack thereof will have absolutely nothing to do with Mew as a factor, though.

That makes absolutely no sense and it is kind of delusional to be honest.

Truer words.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I guess I missed the part where "you cant transfer the Mew you can get in Go" somehow became "you can never get another Mew any way ever." Whoops!

It's just silly to get all up in arms over them giving you a free Mew if you buy the extra controller. It's not like they're charging more for it because of it. It's just a nice little incentive to get you to actually make the purchase.

I'm not exactly defending anything here, but only because I don't think it needs to be defended. It is what it is, they can do another distribution literally whenever, we don't know how or if these games will connect to the rest, and it's so not a big deal.

I'm really quite thankful for @BCVM22 lately, I need y'all to know that.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Still no fan of it. Later distribution aside. That kind of thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's not free technically since people will be paying for the controller (in my opinion).

BCVM22

If anyone hasn't already caught it, another important note about the Poké Ball Plus that E3 has confirmed for us is that the control stick on it does "click" down, so that makes a control stick and two buttons - everything you need to play a core Pokémon title.

If it is not an outright given that the Poké Ball Plus will outlast LGP/E and remain functional with Pokémon 2019 and beyond, it should at least be treated as a strong possibility at this point. $50 is still a bit much, but its utility is increased slightly when you spread out its compatibility over multiple years and sets of games, as opposed to one.

It's not free technically since people will be paying for the controller (in my opinion).

But then, if you're paying for the PBP and getting a Mew with it, isn't Mew "free" technically? Or maybe you're paying $50 for a Mew, and also getting a functional controller with it. Or maybe you're paying $25 each for the controller and the Mew and they come as a mandatory package deal.

Sliced up any which way, you're paying for one thing and getting another with it. What will vary from person to person, as with anything, is the subjective value of the controller and/or the Pokémon.

Xuxuba

I'm not mistaking anything. In a history of the games rewarding you for completing the Pokédex, a history that goes back two decades, they've never counted the event Legendaries against you. To phrase it differently, whatever NPC in this version of Kanto will you give a diploma or whatever will gladly do so at 150 seen/150 caught.

For now. They could announce a Mew event for all citizens a year from now and that would be that. One doesn't preclude them from doing the other.

It is! They intend for you to buy their special Poké Ball controller, and if you do, you get a Mew. You can either say "I accept your terms" or "no." It is very clear what they intended here, which is to sell their product. Which, for the record, is the goal for any product no matter what.

Why would they do one thing but also do a completely different thing? Beats me. I do know that Bank compatibility or lack thereof will have absolutely nothing to do with Mew as a factor, though.

Truer words.
You are literally doing it again.

Getting the shiny charm or diploma =/= catching all the pokemon and completing the dex by unlocking all of the entries.

You might get a prize for catching 150 pokemon in this game but that doesn't mean you caught all the pokemon in the game.

You can believe all you want that GF will later add another way to get Mew but it doesn't change the fact that, right now, they are actively making it impossible for you to get it without buying that 50 dolars useless gadget.

Even with Mew, there's a very good chance you can't do that with a single game, though.
Version exclusive pkmn are fairly easy to trade.
Pokemon that are only obtainable by spending a lot of money on a thing that not everybody wants? Not so much.

Last edited:

BCVM22

You might get a prize for catching 150 pokemon in this game but that doesn't mean you caught all the pokemon in the game.

But you likely still can't do that by yourself, and even then, if there was no Mew at all, would you be sitting there with 150/150 and complaining that you haven't caught them all?

Seems to me that either 150 or 151 is an acceptable finality depending on whether one goes for the PBP or not. Particularly as it's not a given nor is there any suggestion that Mew owners will get anything that non-Mew owners won't, as far as completion is concerned.

they are actively making it impossible for you to get it without buying that 50 dolars useless gadget.

"Useless"? That's not true at all. It has a number of very clear uses. The question, of course, is its utility to you. Or me. Or that guy over there. One person's useless is another person's "hey, neat." If it's useless to you, that's fine, but what of the person next to you who does have a use for it?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
You can believe all you want that GF will later add another way to get Mew but it doesn't change the fact that, right now, they are actively making it impossible for you to get it without buying that 50 dolars useless gadget.

Which exactly why I won't be buying it.

It's already ridiculously overpriced, but to add Mew to it is sort of an insult to injury, rather than the incentive they think they've created. No pokemon is worth $50, especially given I usually pay $40 for several hundred. Why the hell would I turn around and pay more money for just one?

They craziest part, though, is that people will still buy it.

"Useless"? That's not true at all. It has a number of very clear uses. The question, of course, is its utility to you. Or me. Or that guy over there. One person's useless is another person's "hey, neat." If it's useless to you, that's fine, but what of the person next to you who does have a use for it?

The majority of its functions can already be achieved without buying the product. Its remaining functions are more aesthetic than practical, as they do not necessarily improve or enhance the game in any particular fashion, especially in ways where one could grasp noticeable impacting differences between a game with the product and a game without it.

Thus, in terms of overall substance, it is a conspicuously impractical item. You're paying for features you already possess, save for one: the ability to keep a pokemon at your literal side.

I ask you. Is this feature truly worth paying nearly the entire price of the game itself? The line between subjectivity and objectivity is pretty fine at this point.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

But you likely still can't do that by yourself, and even then, if there was no Mew at all, would you be sitting there with 150/150 and complaining that you haven't caught them all?

Seems to me that either 150 or 151 is an acceptable finality depending on whether one goes for the PBP or not. Particularly as it's not a given nor is there any suggestion that Mew owners will get anything that non-Mew owners won't, as far as completion is concerned.

I already addressed this in my previous post.

I might not have been able to complete the dex by myself, but trading version exclusives is fairly easy, trading pokemon that are only obtainable by buying a expensive optional gadget that lots of people don't even want is not.

If there was no Mew, then i would have at least known that i got everything that i could have got from this game.
But they included him and are not making it possible for me to transfer it unless i spend more 50 dollars on something that i don't even want, as if the game wasn't already expensive enough.

i find it funny how you complain every time a person uses an adjective to describe what they think of a certain thing.
You do know that you use them quite a lot too, right? And that sometimes you push your definitions as the truth even more than the people that you complained about it here?

It's already ridiculously overpriced, but to add Mew to it is sort of an insult to injury, rather than the incentive they think they've created. No pokemon is worth $50, especially given I usually pay $40 for several hundred. Why the hell would I turn around and pay more money for just one?

Me neither, 60 dolars is already more than i am willing to pay for a pokemon game that lacks some important stuff, such as wild battles and all the other pkmn.

Just hope my friends who feel conflicted about buying the pokeball plus won't fall for that bc i am sure they will regret it later.

Last edited:

BCVM22

So don't. Your money, your choice, always.

It's already ridiculously overpriced, but to add Mew to it is sort of an insult to injury, rather than the incentive they think they've created.

...no, it's still an incentive. Buy A, get B with it at no extra cost. That's the very definition of an incentive. The Poké Ball Plus and Mew are neither insult nor injury. That's a puzzling adage to try and work in.

And this is the bottom line. Wails will be wailed, teeth will be gnashed, but ultimately, enough people - just enough? more than enough? but enough - were going to buy the Poké Ball Plus already, and Mew isn't going to shrink that number any.

i find it funny how you complain every time a person uses an adjective to describe what they think of a certain thing.
You do know that you use them quite a lot too, right? And that sometimes you push your definitions as the truth even more than the people that you complained about it here?

Is it somehow demonstrably untrue that what you find "useless" might be considerably less so to someone else? Is there anything not factual in that statement?

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I ask you. Is this feature truly worth paying nearly the entire price of the game itself? The line between subjectivity and objectivity is pretty fine at this point.
That is completely a subjective matter though, since it depends on how one feels more comfortable to play as Joy-Con. I'm not planning to order yet until I see how functional and practical the Poké Ball Plus is, maybe it would surprise me and catch my attention to order one.

The only objective truth about the product is that it works as a Joy-Con, acts as a GO Plus and has Mew as the extra bonus. Using it or the original Joy-Con is up to your personal preference.

Xuxuba

That is completely a subjective matter though, since it depends on how one feels more comfortable to play as Joy-Con. I'm not planning to order yet until I see how functional and practical the Poké Ball Plus is, maybe it would surprise me and catch my attention to order one.

The only objective truth about the product is that it works as a Joy-Con, acts as a GO Plus and has Mew as the extra bonus. Using it or the original Joy-Con is up to your personal preference.
It doesn't really work as a joy con since it lacks a bunch of stuff that a normal joy con would have and we don't even know if it's compatible with other games.

BCVM22

and we don't even know if it's compatible with other games.

Other games? Probably not. It's definitely lacking the same buttons as a standard Joy-Con.

Other Pokémon games? Probably. It has a control stick, two buttons (one actual button, and the "click" of the control stick), which is everything you need to operate the entirety of a core Pokémon title. It would be very surprising if the PBP weren't compatible with Pokémon 2019 and beyond.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Is it somehow demonstrably untrue that what you find "useless" might be considerably less so to someone else? Is there anything not factual in that statement?
That is completely a subjective matter though, since it depends on how one feels more comfortable to play as Joy-Con.

What you are both missing (or rather BCVM22 is deliberately refusing to admit), is that using subjectivity as an argument here is incredibly bizarre, as it is a rather extreme case to say that someone would "technically" still prefer paying for things they already have.

Obviously there is the existence of preference, but the objective lack in practical value outways the sensibility in preference, thus rendering the subjectivity argument void.

"What you may fine useless another may not" is a painfully obvious stretch, and I'm sure BCVM22 is aware of this. The fact that someone could still potentially choose to pay for the product doesn't change the fact that it's a terrible product. It's just a terrible product people are willing to buy, often because they're not aware they could effectively get by without it via different means. It's not exactly uncommon in today's market.

Last edited:

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
It doesn't really work as a joy con since it lacks a bunch of stuff that a normal joy con would have and we don't even know if it's compatible with other games.
I said it works as a Joy-Con, not directly a normal Joy-Con that we have. For that matter, expecting a Joy-Con specifically created for a Pokemon Game to be used in a different game would probably leave you with a bitter taste. Actually, it is not designed to be used for other games according to HERE.

Obviously there is the existence of preference, but the objective lack in practical value outways the sensibility in preference, thus rendering the subjectivity argument void.
The fact that someone could still potentially choose to pay for the product doesn't change the fact that it's a terrible product. It's just a terrible product people are willing to buy. It's not exactly uncommon in today's market.
I edited the original quote to show where the subjectivitiy lies in your message. We haven't had a customer/player except Masuda to test the product and review whether it is practical or not, thus leaving us with questions which one is more comfortable to play the game with. We're talking about possibilities while your certainty about the product being terrible makes it subjective for your case. It may not objectively end up like that when the reviews come out, is what I mean.

BCVM22

What you are both missing (or rather BCVM22 is deliberately refusing to admit), is that using subjectivity as an argument here is incredibly bizarre, as it is a rather extreme case to say that someone would "technically" still prefer paying for things they already have.

The fact that someone could still potentially choose to pay for the product doesn't change the fact that it's a terrible product. It's just a terrible product people are willing to buy. It's not exactly uncommon in today's market.

"What you are both missing is that my stance on the product is the objective one." Sorry, no. That's ridiculous and I'm sure you know that. That is a tissue-thin foundation on which to build your argument, and I'm sure you know that too. There's nothing about the Poké Ball Plus that's "terrible," objectively. Sorry again.

"What you may fine useless another may not" is an painfully obvious stretch, and I'm sure BCVM22 is aware of this.

If it's somehow a "painfully obvious stretch" to say that others will find use for the Poké Ball Plus where you don't, then the conversation isn't just over, it never began. And that's fine. You can sit there and grumble about how "terrible" the product is as some people choose to enjoy the novelty, if somewhat overpriced novelty. It is fortunate we're not actually setting policy with any of this unnecessary back and forth, because I think if some of you had your way, we'd end up with the Pokémon equivalent of "Fox only, no items, Battlefield."

The Poké Ball Plus has set functions, set uses, set incentives, and a set price. That's the truth. The utility and the price are of proper value to some, and not at all for others. Neither one is wrong, but either end of the spectrum is entirely subjective.

If someone came to some of you at the moment of your first encounter with Pokémon, at whatever young age that was, and told you that someday you'd have the option of using a Poké Ball controller that allowed you to mimic the action of tossing a Poké Ball, I'm curious as to what your response at the time would have been. It probably would not have been anything so coarse and cynical as "but how much does it cost?" or "nah, that sounds like a terrible product."

Food for thought.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I edited the original quote to show where the subjectivitiy lies in your message. We haven't had a customer/player except Masuda to test the product and review whether it is practical or not, thus leaving us with questions which one is more comfortable to play the game with. We're talking about possibilities while your certainty about the product being terrible makes it subjective for your case. It may not objectively end up like that when the reviews come out, is what I mean.

Again, you are stretching the subjectivity argument quite a bit.

If you think my thesis is invalid because the product isn't available yet, you clearly don't understand the concept of reviewing a product before you buy it, which is what we're all doing now.

The product has been presented and explained. I've reviewed it and weighed the pros and cons. The cons wildly exceed the pros, and it has nothing to do with what I think. It has to do with the fact that you would literally be paying for something you already have, and that is not subjective. Comfort aside (which is about as far as the subjectivity argument can possibly stretch), if people want to pay for something they already have, that's up to them, but let's not BS the situation by throwing out the "another man's treasure" thesis.

Xuxuba

Other games? Probably not. It's definitely lacking the same buttons as a standard Joy-Con.

Other Pokémon games? Probably. It has a control stick, two buttons (one actual button, and the "click" of the control stick), which is everything you need to operate the entirety of a core Pokémon title. It would be very surprising if the PBP weren't compatible with Pokémon 2019 and beyond.
Only time will tell but i wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work with Pokémon 2019.

After all, if Pokémon 2019 is really a traditional pokemon game and isn't like LGEP regarding the features involving Pokémon Go, then there is even less use for it, other than serving as a walking stick for your character, something you might aswell do with your Joycon.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
If it's somehow a "painfully obvious stretch" to say that others will find use for the Poké Ball Plus where you don't, then the conversation isn't just over, it never began.

It's a painfully obvious stretch because it rides on the "No sh*t" basis.

I'm not denying or ignoring that people could "technically" still prefer the product. I'm acknowledging it and countering that preference by also acknowledging the product's flaws. You seem to be unwilling to admit that the product could even have flaws, by constantly using subjectivity every chance you get. It's downright insane.

Just admit that a product can objectively have flaws. If you can't do that, you have bigger problems than this discussion.

Last edited: