• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Orphalesion

I like really in-depth games that require exploration and some dedication to truly complete. I don’t want a game with a linear story that I sped through and had no reason to pick back up. Being able to play through every season in one month cheapens the concept of seasons. I’d rather not see them be time-based if they were shortened. They would be better off just being locations with different seasonal weather.

And being forced to play through winter because it happens to be winter outside is not something I would want. and I don't want to wait 3 months to not have the whole game area choked in snow.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
I’m not suggesting that any part of the main story has to be completed at a specific time of year, that would be ludicrous. I’m suggesting that some side-quest-type things are only available during certain parts of the year. For instance, it wouldn’t be out of the question for the available Pokémon on some routes to change throughout the year, just like migration in animals. That’s not to say they wouldn’t be available somewhere else in the game at that time. Non-key Items are easily something that could be locked behind time, especially consumables. Character customizations (clothing or hair) could require a specific season or holiday to be obtained.
Don't think locking certain customization features behind a season/holiday is going to be popular as if stuff in real life forces players to miss out on the window of time to get specific clothes/hairstyles players may have to deal with the agony of waiting one year before they get a second shot at said items.

Ultra Beast Lover

I wouldn't mind being older than ten again, maybe in the teenage area. Also, it'd be a pretty interesting twist if the PC's mom or dad displayed concern over sending their kid out into the world. Doesn't have to be for long just until after you get the pokedex then they can be like, "Oh well I suppose I can't stop you. The Professor asked you to so no point in trying to stop you. Come back home safely though."

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I wouldn't mind being older than ten again, maybe in the teenage area. Also, it'd be a pretty interesting twist if the PC's mom or dad displayed concern over sending their kid out into the world. Doesn't have to be for long just until after you get the pokedex then they can be like, "Oh well I suppose I can't stop you. The Professor asked you to so no point in trying to stop you. Come back home safely though."
I think that in Black and White, we had Hilbert and Hilda, who started in their teenage years because they seem to be slightly older than the other protagonists. Well usually the mother tells the protagonist to watch out for the tall grass because of their concerns of sending their kid into the Pokémon world as well so if we get an older protagonist this time I don't think that the mother will worry as much and tell the protagonist to go straight to the professor if he/she wants a Pokémon.

Ultra Beast Lover

I think that in Black and White, we had Hilbert and Hilda, who started in their teenage years because they seem to be slightly older than the other protagonists. Well usually the mother tells the protagonist to watch out for the tall grass because of their concerns of sending their kid into the Pokémon world as well so if we get an older protagonist this time I don't think that the mother will worry as much and tell the protagonist to go straight to the professor if he/she wants a Pokémon.
Right forgot about Hilda/Hilbert, still it'd be pretty cool

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Right forgot about Hilda/Hilbert, still it'd be pretty cool
Along with that, it would also be quite cool to incorporate some more mature themes into the Pokémon games, like mental health and possibly an inference to the death of a Pokémon/character being part of the main story, most likely to the point that does not turn parents away from buying the game for their kids.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
And being forced to play through winter because it happens to be winter outside is not something I would want. and I don't want to wait 3 months to not have the whole game area choked in snow.

Don't think locking certain customization features behind a season/holiday is going to be popular as if stuff in real life forces players to miss out on the window of time to get specific clothes/hairstyles players may have to deal with the agony of waiting one year before they get a second shot at said items.

I understand that not everyone likes everyone else's ideas shared here, but you don't have to shoot ideas down in a speculation thread. The majority of what we discuss in this thread likely won't be in the games. There's a very good chance that seasons will remain a gimmick exclusive to gen 5.

I agree. I know they like their E rating and they focus on children as the target audience, but it would be nice to give some focus to the players that have been playing for 20 years.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I agree. I know they like their E rating and they focus on children as the target audience, but it would be nice to give some focus to the players that have been playing for 20 years.

I wish Masuda would cut the crap and realize the majority of players are no longer children.

His insistence on capturing the adolescent audience has been a constant worry of mine. He could easily (as he already have) upset a large portion of players by implementing mechanics most players would not benefit from. If I am correct, Pokémon hasn't had a majority child player population since Gen 4. It's incredibly obvious times have changed and so have the players. I wish Masuda would change with it.

Sulfurian

Honestly after gen 5 the focus truly is on kids it feels like. They improve the battle experience but all the fluff they put in it to try to appeal to kids really has drained me from the series a bit.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

This might be a bit out there, but maybe they could implement an age slider of some sort. You could make your character look older or younger based on your preferences. It'd be purely aesthetic, I don't think the dialogue or gameplay should really change, but it would help older players feel more of a connection to their player character.

Orphalesion

I understand that not everyone likes everyone else's ideas shared here, but you don't have to shoot ideas down in a speculation thread. The majority of what we discuss in this thread likely won't be in the games. There's a very good chance that seasons will remain a gimmick exclusive to gen 5.
People are allowed to give their opinion on the ideas discussed, that's why it's a forum.

And seasons being in Pokemon at all isn't the unappealing part to me, the unappealing part is where they happen in real time (as in waaaay to slowly for the main story in Pokemon, a month or a fortnight is enough, imho)

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
And seasons being in Pokemon at all isn't the unappealing part to me, the unappealing part is where they happen in real time (as in waaaay to slowly for the main story in Pokemon, a month or a fortnight is enough, imho)
and two weeks to a month is waaay to short for a season, imho.

If you want the weather to change frequently, they could continue the trend of random weather changes, but with more variety than just rain. They could have random occurrences of snow, sun, and wind in addition to rain, possibly with some conditions exclusive to certain areas of the region.

Zamin

They need to stop making all these things training things compulsory at the start. I know how to throw a pokeball, I have been playing for years. Also, make the cut scenes skippable, they are just too long in Sun and Moon and the story is quite basic anyway.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I just want difficulty settings again. That isn’t too much to ask for.
That would be great to see again. I'd also love to bring back the treasure hunting aspect that Diamond and Pearl had. I miss the really interactive mini games! And be able to have a Pokemon follow you (as an optional thing). Maybe have the game be more open world, have a bit of an aspect similar to Pokemon Colosseum. I liked the plot from that series.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
A question that's been puzzling my mind is whether the upcoming Switch games will be region-free or not, considering the majority of the games are. Since we don't have an official Nintendo distributor in my country, I have to make up my mind if I want to buy it from Europe or overseas when the time comes.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
A question that's been puzzling my mind is whether the upcoming Switch games will be region-free or not, considering the majority of the games are. Since we don't have an official Nintendo distributor in my country, I have to make up my mind if I want to buy it from Europe or overseas when the time comes.
For now I don't think the Switch game will be region-locked at all because for the past couple of Pokémon games, the player could select the in-game language beforehand but I might be wrong once more information comes. Hopefully it won't have a region lock at all.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
For now I don't think the Switch game will be region-locked at all because for the past couple of Pokémon games, the player could select the in-game language beforehand but I might be wrong once more information comes. Hopefully it won't have a region lock at all.
All Pokemon games so far are region-locked regardless of the language selection menu implemented in the past games. You can see "EUR" etc. written on the cartridge's serial code.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
All Pokemon games so far are region-locked regardless of the language selection menu implemented in the past games. You can see "EUR" etc. written on the cartridge's serial code.
Yeah we all know that for the time being. But the thing is removing the region locking of the new games will make it easier for players to play off a game that is imported from another country, removing those barriers, even if the Switch cartridges have the region code on the front of the cartridge like 'USA' and 'EUR', and from that it feels there is a better purpose for language selection in the games.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’d like the option from the ORAS Battle Resort to breed two pairs of Pokémon at the same time. I’m really surprised that Gen 7 didn’t do this considering the region is very relaxed and it isn’t like there’s not enough room to do this. We can hatch up to 18 Eggs in Poké Apelgo and five in our party all at once but we can’t breed more than two pairs of Pokémon? If the game not knowing which Pokémon you want to breed together is the problem, just make two or more workers you can speak with and give them two Pokémon with each worker.