• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Xuxuba

But it's literally just like running from wild battles in the main series, which people have done for 22 years. It's especially like it since catching has awarded Exp for years now.

You just... don't grind if you don't want to. Easy.
Back then, catching pokemon didn't hand out all that much experience, it was just a nice little bonus.
Besides running from wild battles isn't the same as avoiding to catch pokemon.
One thing you can avoid without hindering the experience all that much, the other you cannot. Catching pokemon is a important part of the game. What if the person wants to catch a bunch of pokemon, maybe complete the dex, but he doesn't want to be overleveled?

I do believe catching pkmn should hand out exp, but not enough to make you easily overleveled and it shouldn't by any means be the most reliable way to grind.

If they want to give us a reliable way to grind, then they can include a good trainer rematch feature. Or maybe, you know, have included wild battles.

Right now, my faith on this game depends entirely on whether this game has a trainer rematch feature and whether or not catching pokemon will make your team easily overleveled.
Pokemon is a turn based game that revolves around battling. You should be able to battle as many times as you want and by that i don't mean beating the elite 4 a million times, that is just downright boring and repetitive.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It was pretty funny how he brought up Battle Revolution, hopefully the next game has more interaction between the Pokemon during battles. It'd be funny to watch Sneasel snatch someone's berry with Thief! Snorlax: "Snorlax!!!" (translation: Hey I was gonna eat that!). Sneasel: "Sneas!" (transllation: My germs!)
Yeah LGPE is already kinda like a Pokémon Battle Revolution anyway. I don’t think commentary will be in the games but they may be included in the 2019 Switch games.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
lol, I know, I was just imagining that as a reaction. It'd be cool if the actual animation was shown though but that'd take a ton of models.
True. It’s definitely more likely that the models and their animations will be quite simple.

PirateKing

Just a thought,
Since it seems like the Bike is replaced by Ride Pokemon since Gen 7, and since the Money Limit is now over 1,000,000,
It would be a fun little thing if we can still actually obtain the Bike, but we'd have to pay full price for it this time!

If not, I wonder what they'll end up doing with the Bike Shop in Cerulean City, I can see them replacing it with a mini game spot or something.

FusionAesthetic

Sci Fi Trainer
Just a thought,
Since it seems like the Bike is replaced by Ride Pokemon since Gen 7, and since the Money Limit is now over 1,000,000,
It would be a fun little thing if we can still actually obtain the Bike, but we'd have to pay full price for it this time!

If not, I wonder what they'll end up doing with the Bike Shop in Cerulean City, I can see them replacing it with a mini game spot or something.

I would not be shocked if some stuff is not in it. Like the slots and as you said the bike. Maybe no more Day Care since they had none in sUMO

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Just a thought,

They could bring back the bike as a fast way to get around Kanto early. Maybe later on, the player will have access to faster Pokémon like Rapidash and maybe these Pokémon are faster than the bike so that the player can get around Kanto faster. Definitely not too early so that the bike becomes redundant.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Back then, catching pokemon didn't hand out all that much experience, it was just a nice little bonus.
One thing you can avoid without hindering the experience all that much, the other you cannot. Catching pokemon is a important part of the game. What if the person wants to catch a bunch of pokemon, maybe complete the dex, but he doesn't want to be overleveled?

Then since there's no need for wild battles, don't keep your primary battlers in your party when all you want to do is catch. Again, simple solution. Made even simpler if the box is now available anywhere.

I do believe catching pkmn should hand out exp, but not enough to make you easily overleveled and it shouldn't by any means be the most reliable way to grind.

If they want to give us a reliable way to grind, then they can include a good trainer rematch feature. Or maybe, you know, have included wild battles.

Maybe not the most reliable, but reliable nonetheless, since catching Pokemon that way is part of the whole point of these games. I agree that incorporating trainer rematches would be ideal. Including wild battles as the default, though, just isn't something that fits with the purpose of these games and their relationship with Go. I wouldn't really complain if wild battles came about as an optional, off-by-default feature; that would be nice and would partially satisfy some people, I guess. I'm not going to expect it, though - and I honestly think the ship has sailed on that aspect of the games. It is what it is and the way wild encounters happen in these games is kind of the central/core feature.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
That is just one way of increasing the chances though. The main series also has stuff like that, such as giving the wild pokemon a status condition.

Nowadays, in the main series, if you do things right you won't have to rely so much on luck, since you will likely catch it after a few pokeballs.

But in pokemon go, i felt like my good throws made absoltely no difference. I would still spend a bunch of pokeballs on common pokemon and sometimes they would still run away. It honestly didn't feel all that different from the safari zone, which was pretty luck based too.

Regardless of that, even though i find the Go's catching system more boring, my main problem isn't with that itself, but the removal of the wild battles entirely, which i used for the reasons i mentioned above.

I do enjoy being able to use the motion controls to throw the pokeball, but not being able to battle wild pokemon whenever i want? Not so much.

I was more comparing the aspect of just throwing the Pokéballs in each game, but yeah, I guess the battle aspect can't be ignored. Still though, battling and weakening wild Pokémon was more a process where you checked of different things on a list, while Go is actually skill-based. Let me ask you, how much, if any, Legendary Raids have you done in Go? While catching Legendary Pokémon, it becomes clear how much of a difference making better throws actually matters. Anyways, I agree that they should kept the main series wild battles, but I say it should have been mixed with Go's catch style for the best experience.

Xuxuba

Then since there's no need for wild battles, don't keep your primary battlers in your party when all you want to do is catch. Again, simple solution. Made even simpler if the box is now available anywhere.
I didn't say wild battles were useless tho. I just said that avoiding them entirely doesn't affect the gameplay as much as avoiding catching pokemon entirely. I still think they are useful for many reasons.

While it is true that you can rotate your team (and that is what i did in XY in order to avoid being overleveled), doing that gets annoying after some time, even if you have access to the box in your bag (which i don't intend on using it all that much, since it kind of makes you unafraid of getting hurt because you can just switch your team at any time and that makes things less thrilling).

Besides, grind is necessary, you will need to level up your pokemon. And if just a few catches is enough to get your pokemon to the right level, then that is no fun at all. Like, the whole point of being a trainer is to train your pokemon and yet we are barely doing that the entire game?

I was more comparing the aspect of just throwing the Pokéballs in each game, but yeah, I guess the battle aspect can't be ignored. Still though, battling and weakening wild Pokémon was more a process where you checked of different things on a list, while Go is actually skill-based. Let me ask you, how much, if any, Legendary Raids have you done in Go? While catching Legendary Pokémon, it becomes clear how much of a difference making better throws actually matters. Anyways, I agree that they should kept the main series wild battles, but I say it should have been mixed with Go's catch style for the best experience.
Not much tbh. I was away from the game when they were on the legendary hype and when i got back there wasn't many legendary eggs spawning on the place i live.

I definetly agree with you on the last part though. While i did think throwing pokeballs wasn't all that fun in Pokemon Go, since the lag and the server's problems affected it a lot, i do think that part is a nice addition to the main series, because the motion controls seem to be more fun and there is no lag. It is just mainly the lack of the battles and catching becoming the most reliable way to grind (unless there is a trainer rematch feature) that irks me.

Last edited:

PirateKing

I think even though wild battles are gone, Grinding still won’t be an issue. Look at Pokémon Colosseum and Xd, you start out with in the level 10-25 range and I have full teams in their late 50s every play through with no grinding what so ever, and usually have no problems with Evice or Greevil.
I think just like Colo and Xd the game is gonna be scaled appropriately to where just casual training will be enough to atleast get through the main story, with stronger opponents later if you want to grind for.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I think even though wild battles are gone, Grinding still won’t be an issue. Look at Pokémon Colosseum and Xd, you start out with in the level 10-25 range and I have full teams in their late 50s every play through with no grinding what so ever, and usually have no problems with Evice or Greevil.
I think just like Colo and Xd the game is gonna be scaled appropriately to where just casual training will be enough to atleast get through the main story, with stronger opponents later if you want to grind for.
Yea I'm just hoping for more battles. That was my one main issue with Colosseum. It took forever to train up a team.

PirateKing

Yea I'm just hoping for more battles. That was my one main issue with Colosseum. It took forever to train up a team.

They could throw in a variant of Mt. Battle where we can just keep challenging as many higher level trainers as we want for EXP.
What they could do is give us a traditional Battle Tower like place, but instead of locking us to level 50 and not giving us any exp points, they could just keep it open and make it a like a grinding spot.
It would be a good mix of keeping it casual for newcomers but also satisfying returning players by giving us our usual post game battle facility. It could work like the Battle Tower where we fight a round of 7 trainers with a boss fight at the end.

Make it a Tournament Stadium, Throw in Gym Leader Rematches and final battles with our Rival, Blue and Red, and it'll be perfect.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
They could throw in a variant of Mt. Battle where we can just keep challenging as many higher level trainers as we want for EXP.
What they could do is give us a traditional Battle Tower like place, but instead of locking us to level 50 and not giving us any exp points, they could just keep it open and make it a like a grinding spot.
It would be a good mix of keeping it casual for newcomers but also satisfying returning players by giving us our usual post game battle facility. It could work like the Battle Tower where we fight a round of 7 trainers with a boss fight at the end.

Make it a Tournament Stadium, Throw in Gym Leader Rematches and final battles with our Rival, Blue and Red, and it'll be perfect.
That would be cool. Similar to what we got in Emerald version?

PirateKing

That would be cool. Similar to what we got in Emerald version?

Yeah, the 3rd and 4th gens Battle Facilities had that format, SM/USUM does too with the Battle Tree. I had always thought if they let me actually level up in the Towers and Frontiers it would give me so much more incentive to play them, but I can see the advantages of why they dont.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

There are so many ways to avoid being overleveled:

- Turning off EXP Share
- Running away from Wild Pokémon
- Switching Pokémon routinely in battle
- Obtaining a full team earlier on in the game
- Avoiding trainer battles periodically
- Using the gym leader level cap (though this method requires knowing the gym leaders' levels ahead of time)
- Swapping team Pokémon with boxed Pokémon periodically
- Not trading Pokémon
- Playing at a slower pace

You can use one of these methods, or a combination of them. Turning off EXP Share is perhaps the easiest - and maybe even the most effective - method.

Kage-Pikachu

With the exception of my first playthrough of Pokemon Y, I have been pretty good at avoiding getting over-leveled. I could never bring myself to turn off the experience share, I love that too much!

But those are some good points PrinceofFacade

PirateKing

I think I just realized the rationale behind adding in a new rival. If it had been Blue and the player character had chosen Eevee Version, then him picking Pilachu would have been pretty canon breaking, which they’ve been trying to avoid by giving him and Red teams built options they would have normally obtained in game, like Lapras and Snorlax.

If they throw in a new rival, they can give him the Champion team from Yellow version, (With the Eevelution swapped for Raichu in LGE) and still have Red and Blue mantain continuity with the Johto, Unova and Alola games. They mentioned the new guys gimmick is that he gets scared a lot so hopefully he ends up like Wally and becomes awesome by the end.

D

Deleted member 384931

God they make it TOO easy! No wild battles anymore, two against one. Where is the challenge? I just hope there is a decent postgame and easter eggs!