• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
HOOOOOLLLLYYYYY SSSSHHHHHH?!?!?! Trainer customization is in this game after all! OMGOMGOMGOMG!!!

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Misty's new outfit looks so cute. Hope every gym leaders get new clothes. I see people freaking out about a friendly rival but at this point having a dick rival is a lot less common. We had two in 7 gens. (I mean we could get more but just saying)

This is the trailer they should have shown a few months ago.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I extrapolate it based on how the co-op player disappears after initiating the conversation with leader, and both GYM battles are shown battling 1 on 1.

"We also saw some of the first Gym in Let's Go, Brock's gym in Pewter City. Upon entering the gym, you're forced to show an attendee that your party contains a Pokémon that has type advantage against rock types, a new hurdle that will ensure players understand type matchups. It explicitly tells you which types of Pokémon will have a strength advantage. It was shown that you can battle Gym leaders in co-op, and those too do not scale up to account for that second player. Poor Brock!"
Source:
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/06/12/everything-we-know-about-pokemon-lets-go

This one also mentioned gyms in co-op.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/30/17409664/pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-eevee-switch-pokeball-plus

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Misty's new outfit looks so cute. Hope every gym leaders get new clothes. I see people freaking out about a friendly rival but at this point having a dick rival is a lot less common. We had two in 7 gens. (I mean we could get more but just saying)

This is the trailer they should have shown a few months ago.
I freaking love Misty's outfit. It is literally and exactly like Misty's outfit from Pokemon Adventures. The only difference is she lacks the original coral-shaped hair and that her top is white, not black. I'm not making this up! As a Pokemon Adventures fan, this just has me all excited.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
If you seen my argument from before in that other thread where I say I don't think GameFreak is a genius for making Pokemon Let's Go "casual", because the lack of battling wild Pokemon, the extreme easiness of challenging gym leaders based on type conditions and other simplifications, and the replacement of the core series system in favor of Pokemon Go's CP basically makes Pokemon Let's Go too easy and possibly boring to play taking away the casual appealness of taking advantage of the easy-to-understand mechanics in fair challenges that many first-time fans loved about the core series, making Let's Go possibly anti-casual. Yes, there is such a thing as dumbing down mechanics to the point it becomes anti-casual. If you want to sell a pitch to casuals, you got think to yourself, not what's easy. What is fun?

The "core series system" isn't replaced by CP. CP is just a number that is determined by Base Stats, IVs, and Level. EV's are probably a factor now as well, since we already know this game has EV's. CP just gives you a general idea of how powerful a pokemon is and/or how hard it is to catch.

As for "the extreme easiness of challenging gym leaders based on type conditions and other simplifications," requiring the player to have a grass or water pokemon in their party before entering the first gym is hardly an indicator of how challenging the battle with Brock will be. You have to remember that this game's intended audience is going to include people who may not even know that Pokemon have type advantages and disadvantages. This is just an early game method of getting newer players to understand type matching. And what other simplifications are you referring to? Have we seen any other simplifications yet?

shoz999

ynjMsXO.jpg

3m9CZBg.jpg

This is the outfit Misty wears in the GSC arc. It looks almost exactly like the one Misty wears in Let's Go, only her top is white and there are few additional symbols on her shorts. Look at the Kanto Gym Leaders in all there Adventures Classic Gym Leader glory. As a Pokemon Adventures fan, this is just so awesome!
Cool facts: Misty, Lt. Surge, Blaine in Pokemon Adventures are expert trainers who command Suicune, Raikou, and Entei. Misty being a Master Water Trainer easily defeats Whitney in the Gym Leader Tournament. Also unlike the anime and the games, it's pretty much confirmed Adventures Misty has a crush on Red. I guess what I'm saying is Adventures Misty is such a badass.

Last edited:

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I've watched the trailer and despite all the features I still have no interest in these games. Think it mostly has to do with I'm tired of Kanto... I've visited it so many times I never want to go back.

Arcanineblitz

This game is amazingly cute I really can’t wait for it to come out ride able arcanine was expected but actually seeing it was awesome I used to imagine being able to ride arcanine into battle as a kid playing red.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I extrapolate it based on how the co-op player disappears after initiating the conversation with leader, and both GYM battles are shown battling 1 on 1.

Co-op players weren't shown disappearing before a gym battle in this footage. One was shown doing so in live demo footage, and then the battle was never shown.

All I'm saying is that we don't know until we actually know - until it's confirmed in writing or footage is shown starting with co-op and ending at least after the battle has fully commenced.

If you seen my argument from before in that other thread where I say I don't think GameFreak is a genius for making Pokemon Let's Go "casual", because the lack of battling wild Pokemon, the extreme easiness of challenging gym leaders based on type conditions and other simplifications, and the replacement of the core series system in favor of Pokemon Go's CP basically makes Pokemon Let's Go too easy and possibly boring to play taking away the casual appealness of taking advantage of the easy-to-understand mechanics in fair challenges that many first-time fans loved about the core series, making Let's Go possibly anti-casual. Yes, there is such a thing as dumbing down mechanics to the point it becomes anti-casual. If you want to sell a pitch to casuals, you got think to yourself, not what's easy. What is fun?

If these games look like they could be boring for you, that's one thing, but I dont think your experience - as a person who is very clearly an avid fan of the series - translates to that of casual players and non-players. I see no evidence that they stripped this game of fun - and as was already pointed out, they didn't remove the regular stat system and all we know about gym requirements so far is that the very first gym in the game tells you to bring specific types.

Kage-Pikachu

I think it'd be cool if they forced you not to use Pokemon that were strong against Rock rather than the latter...I'm like do they want poor Brock to lose, lol.

Hopefully battles with trainers with more than 2 Pokemon will be forced into double battles during Co-op mode. I can't wait to see how Lavender Town is, hopefully they have some awesome side quests in this game. You think they'll keep the PokeDoll glitch which will let you completely skip the Team Rocket hideout part? I didn't learn about that til last year, lol, I've still never done it since I love fighting Team Rocket and capturing Ghost Pokemon. I'm hoping for an event similar to Crystal in which we see Clefairy dancing and maybe receive something for witnessing it.

BCVM22

No, I don’t imagine they will intentionally keep a glitch from previous versions of Kanto in this new game built completely from the ground up for new hardware.

shoz999

Some stuff I noticed from the trailer.
  • There's a chubby NPC that looks kind of like the game developer that served as the inspiration for Snorlax.
  • There's a T-shaped dock next to S.S. Anne.
  • Misty's new outfit design seems to be be almost identical to Misty's original outfit from Pokemon Adventures GSC arc.
  • The water in-between the Cycling Road, Celadon City, Fuschia City, and S.S. Anne have a noticeable water current on the Kanto map redesign. Is it accessible? Perhaps it's the passage way to Sevii Isles? Or maybe it just looks cool on the map.
  • Pikachu is standing on the fountain in a cinematic style reminiscent of Pokemon Sun and Moon's sidequests.
  • Mew can be seen upper left of the drawn map, hidden underneath the cloud. If you look closer, you notice a tiny red spot underneath the clouds near Mew. Does that mean there's a location hidden there? Is it only available for those who pre-order through an event?
  • The three legendary birds are located near there original locations on the drawn map. Zapdos at the power plant, Articuno at Seafoam Islands, and Moltres at Victory Road hinting that the Sevii Isles won't return since Moltres is portrayed as living in Mt. Ember as part of the canon timeline.
  • The Kanto starters are pictured in specific locations. Bulbasaur at Cerulean, Charmander at Route 25, Squirtle at Vermillion City.
  • Some Cities got a huge makeover, most notably Lavender Town.
  • The Indigo League Building has a look more closer to Pokemon Generations style than the original FireRed and LeafGreen. Most notably the new stairways and the white arc. The reorganization of the statues though might be new. Since Pokemon Generations is also taken into consideration, is it possible the Elite Four will be reorganized by choice similar to the Unova League and after that? If so, will the room connecting all the Elite Four members rooms look similar to Generation's room featuring stairways to the Elite Four members rooms?
  • The possible absence of Red, Blue, and Green and the fact that many Kanto characters are portrayed at there same age and appearance as previous installments indicates this could be an entirely new timeline, a Let's Go timeline you could say meaning we should expect Let's Go reboots of other regions.

Last edited:

PirateKing

Awesome trailer! Glad we're getting into the promotion cycle now, I expect next month, we'll start getting to the totally new features

Some things I noticed
- Brock's Onix is at the same level it normally is, Mistys Starmie is 2 levels down
- In your room, there is a poster referencing the opening of RB/FRLG with Nidorino and Gengar
- It seems in the Japanese edition, your Rivals house is Green colored, but in the US edition, it's Blue colored
- Cinnibar Island finally has its volcano
- If the map is to be believed, some encounters will be different from Yellow. For example, Growlith can be seen outside Digglet Cave, but in Yellow it was Cinnibar Mansion only.
- Zapdos and Articuno are placed near the Power Plant and Seafom Islands on the Map, Moltres is placed near Victory Road, which could possibly deconfirm Sevii Islands, but I dont think they'd give that away just yet, as Mewtwo is no where near Cerulean Cave.

BCVM22

I wouldn’t take the location of Pokémon on the map as strictly binding - for as many Pokémon that are placed near where we know they can be found in the wild, there are any number whose placement doesn’t conform to that, one way or the other.

I would take it more as a combination of wild and thematically appropriate.

Lady Umbreon

I counted the Pokemon on the map artwork. All 151 are on there... but Pidgeotto appears twice. Look at Route 15, east of Fuchsia (Mewtwo is pointing at them).

Kage-Pikachu

I like how they got rid of the ride gear from Pokemon Sun and Moon, kind of funny though since riding on top of a nearly 29 foot rock snake with no support is presented as less dangerous than riding on a Stoutland, lol. I wonder if you obtain Squirtle if you can surf to Cinnabar right from the beginning if you get a Blastoise, I'm sure they'll make it so you cant do that too early in the game.

I gotta say, the new trailer has me more excited for this game, I find it funny how they specifically mentioned that we would have a "friendly" rival. Maybe there'll be a twist and he's with Team Rocket.

Just realized, from that map, no Water or Grass types seem to be available before Brock. Let's hope that was a Demo exclusive

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Just wanted to point out the T-shaped dock was in FRLG. It's not exactly new.
800px-Vermilion_Harbor_FRLG.png

I would also like to point out that the map may not actually indicate where pokemon can be found in LGPE. The Safari Zone should be the biggest indicator.

Kage-Pikachu

Just wanted to point out the T-shaped dock was in FRLG. It's not exactly new.
800px-Vermilion_Harbor_FRLG.png

I would also like to point out that the map may not actually indicate where pokemon can be found in LGPE. The Safari Zone should be the biggest indicator.

That's probably true, especially since the starters are in it as well. I assumed perhaps that was where you would receive some of them.