• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Walking Pokemon is more feasible than it sounds, thanks to them already working on in game 3D models throughout 7th gen. I wouldn't be surprised to see it return in this game.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Walking Pokemon is more feasible than it sounds, thanks to them already working on in game 3D models throughout 7th gen. I wouldn't be surprised to see it return in this game.

If GF brings back Walking Pokemon I will buy a Switch. If not I'm going to stick to The World Tournament in BW2.

SuperTentacle

The ROTOM Lotto and the handholding aren't...great, but I understand why they're there. It'd be nice if you had the option to turn those features off. I'm not looking to take advantage of the ROTOM powers in US/UM. With better hardware, I'd like to see more customization options for trainers (outfits, hair, etc). New Eeveelution would be cool. The big question is how will Pokémon like Inkay evolve on the Switch if it doesn't have a gyroscope like the 3DS? How will it be compatible with PokéBank etc.? And it durn well better be. I haven't spent the last 3 years completing a Living Pokédex not to be able to carry that over to the Switch.

All offical Switch Controllers (Joy-Con and Pro Controller) can use Gyro Controls. So in Handheld Mode you just turn your Switch around and in TV Mode the Controller.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
The closer this game is to BotW and the farther away it is from XY and SM, the better. The series desperately needs that level of freedom and exploration to really appeal to the console market.

It doesn't. Not all console games have to be open world.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I don't expect too much but I do however have some expectations that I would like from a new Pokémon game. I would like a well-paced storyline, with the latter parts of the game not being too rushed given that there will be more difficulty there compared to earlier portions of the game experience, which was a problem in X and Y because of how long it took to get from Santalune City to Cyllage City where it didn't take as much time to get from Cyllage to Shalour, Shalour to Coumarine and Coumarine to Lumiose. Level curving is another thing and I just don't want to not get enough experience and be at a severe level disadvantage against another Trainer, especially against the Elite Four in GSC and HGSS. And at last, I would like to have a postgame with a lot of content that is enjoyable and that can be replayed all over again, which would bring replay value to the game, especially with battle facilities, and in depth postgame plots.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't own the Switch myself, and coupled by the fact that I wasn't a big fan of the Gen VII games, I'm not planning on purchasing the Gen VIII games unless the preliminary information changes my mind. I don't expect the Switch games to be revolutionary, however. I feel as though Game Freak has peaked.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Firstly, I can see a new evolution for Eevee. With Masuda constantly marketing the species, I can see one ultimately being revealed. As for potential release, I personally am in the camp of late 2018 to early 2019. The signs are there, with whole "2018 or later" in the financial meeting, and the anime's pacing.

As for the game itself, I really hope that there's as minimal gen VII influences as possible. I hated gen VII, and it was the first time that I truly didn't enjoy or willingly want to finish a Pokémon game. I don't mind changes, but trials just weren't my thing, so even if gen VIII tries something new again, I hope it's better than the island challenge. As for region exploration, I hope gen VIII goes back to the older region style designs of just letting us move around and explore, and not be as tiny and bare as Alola was.

I also would love more Mega Evolutions. So many Pokémon deserve new megas, and I just love the concept. Z Moves can stay the f*** away however.

Level curving is another thing I hope they fix. I think gen V was ideal for this, as the game was fairly challenging, without having the other trainers be severly overleveled or underleveled to me. Just don't make it like GSC and HGSS where grinding was a pain.

Lastly, I really hope we get a good postgame that is repayable, like a new proper battle facility akin to PWT, Battle Frontier or White Tree Hollow. Rainbow Rocket was fine for nostalgia and fanservice sake, but it really wasn't anything beyond that since it was a one time thing, of battling grunts and bosses.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
It doesn't. Not all console games have to be open world.

Not all console games need to be open world but Pokemon is one where it makes perfect sense. The core concept of Pokemon is to go on an adventure through a region, find, catch, and befriend Pokemon, and then battle them against each other to become the best trainer. The first part of that lends itself very well to open world, you're adventuring through a vast region and making that adventure an open world one is just a perfect way to evolve the series in a way that makes it fit a modern console environment.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I dunno man.

Apart from the sheer novelty of this hardware jump, I can't say that I'm excited. My enthusiasm for the series' future has waned over these last couple of years, with the direction being geared so heavily toward the smartphone generation. If, even at the console level, Pokemon continues with this lavish simplification of the [offline] playing experience, then I think I'll pass.

Now I won't ask for something on the same scale as Odyssey or Zelda. Especially for their first console game. But I would like to see a similar shift in direction, that puts more of the game in the hands of the player, and treats them with a bit more respect. Difficulty settings. Optional tutorials. Less intrusions. Being able to veer off, get lost, or visit secret areas off the beaten path while you travel. And lasting content that isn't just "Go play online". None of this is beyond Pokemon's ability, and some of it they've already done before. I won't hold my breath, but I have a little bit of hope that the Switch and its success has shown Game Freak that players want more depth and gameplay choice.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

So long as it is optional, I'm totally find with it. I couldn't stand having my pokemon follow me all the time in HGSS.

Anyhoo, the only reason I expect big things (as far as big things go) for the Switch title is because Masuda himself expressed how serious the transition from handheld to home console is, as how high the expectations will be due to this transition. As he put it, "The pressure is on." He is aware that this game must be better than any handheld version, which means it cannot come off as a handheld version. It must be different.

Last edited:

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
This thread feels more like wishlisting than thoughts (Especially since nothing has been confirmed), but I'll give some opinions on what people are talking about for the Switch game.

I see way too many people demand a Breath of the Wild/Odyssey style open world game and I can't really see this happening. The best I can see happening is a bit more exploration (and this would be nice truthfully), but not full open world. People are only setting themselves up for disappointment for this one.

Another one I see is people begging for new Mega Evolutions. I'm going to be honest here, unless this becomes a focus point again, I can't see there being new ones . Mega Evolution was Gen 6's gimmick, and so far it seems it's stayed that way. I honestly think they'll be a new big gimmick introduced here and they'll focus on that, and Megas will still be sidelined (I think Z moves will also be sidelined, but I see no demand for that, it's all "more megas please!").

There's also a lot of walking Pokémon wants. This one I feel is possible, especially since walking and running animations exist for every Pokémon. The problem I do see though is scaling, because unlike HGSS where everything is compressed, I see them being closer to the size they should be, which could be problematic for really large Pokémon like Wailord, Alolan Exeggutor, Steelix, Celesteela etc. so what should they do for Pokémon like these? If they can think of something to get around this issue, then this could work and if they add the interaction of Amie/Refresh, even better.

There's a lot of talk over the release date. I'm in the 2019 crowd; they've done a few things to suggest this, such as not revealing the final Pokémon in the current dex yet and having to wait longer than a year. I mean, this year is possible, but I feel it would be a very rushed game if they did that.

Those are some the biggest things I see talked about and those are my thoughts on those. Honestly, because all I want is something enjoyable to play, I don't have any real wishlist. All I need now is a Switch, as I don't have one yet.

Nockturne

I wouldn't surprised to see it either, the Cyber Sleuth games seem to handle it no problem. Granted certain Pokemon would look silly following you everywhere but that's subjective. But some Pokemon are sill like that as the games are no anyway, like battling with Dugtrio on the ocean or a Goldeen on the second story of a building. It part of the reason I've never liked fish Pokemon, they never made sense to me, even more so now the battles are 3D and they just sort of float.

Hopefully they'd make it so you can toggle it off when a Pokemon like that is at the front of your party. Or maybe you can pick the Pokemon and it doesn't have to be your first, but I'd still like it to be toggle-able.

There's also a lot of walking Pokémon wants. This one I feel is possible, especially since walking and running animations exist for every Pokémon. The problem I do see though is scaling, because unlike HGSS where everything is compressed, I see them being closer to the size they should be, which could be problematic for really large Pokémon like Wailord, Alolan Exeggutor, Steelix, Celesteela etc. so what should they do for Pokémon like these? If they can think of something to get around this issue, then this could work and if they add the interaction of Amie/Refresh, even better.

I think they'd probably just cheese it a little and fans would just have to kind of accept it. I imagine them as being noticeably bigger but still not fully to scale. Like how in HG/SS things like Steelix and Giratina were noticeably bigger than other sprites but still not 1:1. It'll be more noticeable in 3D, but its just a necessary evil I'd say. Most of them don't really look their heights anyway, a Celesteela doesn't look 30 feet tall compared to the trainer standing behind it in battle as is. Using Cyber Sleuth as an example again, most of those Digimon are colossal, but they just aren't ingame because it would be silly if they were. But like I say if it is a feature, hopefully you can turn it off for the people who really don't like the idea of a mini Wailord.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Not all console games need to be open world but Pokemon is one where it makes perfect sense. The core concept of Pokemon is to go on an adventure through a region, find, catch, and befriend Pokemon, and then battle them against each other to become the best trainer. The first part of that lends itself very well to open world, you're adventuring through a vast region and making that adventure an open world one is just a perfect way to evolve the series in a way that makes it fit a modern console environment.

How would they handle progression then? You're just getting your hopes up too high and you'll bound to be dissapointed with the end result. I think that this game would play similarily to the other Pokemon games, with a bit more exploration, but not a full open world.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
As long as the game is enjoyable and GF doesn't hop on the gravy train, I think it will all be fine and dandy.

Poke Trainer J

I'm still holding out on an official Pokémon Bank release for the upcoming Pokémon Switch games however based on current hearsay and speculation it doesn't seem to be the case due to getting rid of the old turn-based battle system that the video game franchise has been known for since it's inception. Final Fantasy had already done it and the franchise hasn't been the same since Square Enix released a Fire Emblem Heroes clone for Final Fantasy on mobile. This upcoming Pokémon release I feel is either going to be make or break for the Nintendo Switch cause If Nintendo/Game Freak is unable to deliver then it's all over. Depending on the end result it'll be PR suicide for the veterans but for the newcomers not so much or perhaps veterans are willing to sacrifice all the level grinding that went into the previous entries of the video game franchise for this new experience similar to what they did with Pokémon Go.

Granted the Nintendo Switch isn't in the same position as the DS/3DS handhelds were where the Pokémon games were the only thing driving sales aside from Yo-Kai Watch and Fire Emblem when it's got the backing of Triple A console titles under it's belt such as Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey but it could be worse. What would be the point of releasing this new Pokémon game for the Switch If it's just going to be a clone of Pokkén Tournament DX based on rumors we've heard about so far? The reason why I skipped Gen 7 was to see If I could import my Pokémon from the previous games onto the new Switch release but it's looking as though that Nintendo/Game Freak is willing to wipe the slate clean again just like they did back in Gen 3 with the Gameboy and Gameboy Advance.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I don't think that Pokemon Switch is going to have a real time battle system because what would be the point of porting Pokken to the Switch and supporting it with DLC when the exact same gameplay can be found in the main series. I'm not keeping my expectations high and I think that this game will be similar to the older games.

Niormon

Anyone who thinks Pokemon switch is gonna have "real time battle" is deluding themselves GF isn't going to "Fix" what isn't broken they already said it themselves during the Game informer interview that"they hope fans could lower their expectations just a little"

Now what I think would be interesting that adds to the game rather then change it is have a 4th starter it would add a lot more choices options as for the type ? just have it be electric like how Pikachu was in the first anime.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
How would they handle progression then?

Level scaling obviously. Trainer levels would raise based on how many badges you have.

You're just getting your hopes up too high and you'll bound to be dissapointed with the end result. I think that this game would play similarily to the other Pokemon games, with a bit more exploration, but not a full open world.

I'm already disappointed, that's nothing new, I expected much more out of the 3DS games to begin with. I'm not going to lower my standards just because Game Freak doesn't feel like adapting to what's expected of them in the modern console market, if they want to play with the big boys then they need to rise to their level. They don't get a free pass just because they've spent the last 20 years living in the bubble that is the handheld market.

I don't think that Pokemon Switch is going to have a real time battle system because what would be the point of porting Pokken to the Switch and supporting it with DLC when the exact same gameplay can be found in the main series. I'm not keeping my expectations high and I think that this game will be similar to the older games.

Yeah, real time battling is better explored in a spinoff instead of the main game. It's just too drastically different from the main gameplay to warrant switching over. What I think would be better would be to make a spiritual successor to Pokepark for that (with a new name and branding, Pokepark comes off too much like a shovelware party game and I don't think a lot of people realize that it's a sandbox ARPG with real time battling), that game has a pretty good foundation for the kind of ARPG gameplay people want.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Level scaling obviously. Trainer levels would raise based on how many badges you have.

I'm already disappointed, that's nothing new, I expected much more out of the 3DS games to begin with. I'm not going to lower my standards just because Game Freak doesn't feel like adapting to what's expected of them in the modern console market, if they want to play with the big boys then they need to rise to their level. They don't get a free pass just because they've spent the last 20 years living in the bubble that is the handheld market.

GF doesn't need to compete with the major console developers. There's no need for an open world game.

I'd love to see a Digimon World like type of game with the latest generation graphics and all the features that made pokemon the great franchise that it is.

Pokemon following you around and suddenly fighting real time without any transitioning\loading to the fight screen, everything happens in the same space and you literally scream the moves to your pokemon, apply medications and even launch pokeballs real time. For those who are familiar with the aforementioned game, i'm most certain features like seeing your pokemon sleeping on the ground, being fatigued, hungry, training and even pooping would be priceless.

So yeah, pretty much following the pattern of their (once) competitor's game would be enough for me to buy the switch with the game alltogether.