• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Kage-Pikachu

That kind of reminds me of the island of Pink Pokemon in the orange islands and how multiple other Pokemon had slightly different coloring as well.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I don't want there to be any drastic changes. Things like real time battling will make me drop this series entirely.

Kage-Pikachu

I like the idea of a champion tournament in which all champions from know regions battle to be world champ (similar to B2/W2) but with a story basis. Maybe once you do the gym leader challenge they have a whole new challenge to prove that you're the best of the best.

Orphalesion

No. Trainer classes are a cool theme of pokemon. I'd be upset if they got rid of it. I would like them to get rid of stationary battlers all together. Have roaming throughout the area. If you get too close or they sneak up on your or they might even chase you, it initiates the battle.

I agree because trainer classes are just easier to implement than designing each opponent individually and thus save time and resources for more important things.

But I wish they'd make them less...restrictive? Repetitive? Have some of them bring more unexpected Pokemon and more balanced teams. Like a mid-game fisherman who has a couple of water Pokemon, but also a ground type to deal with electric Pokemon an/or a fire type to defend against grass Pokemon.
Something like that.
That could also be something that shows up in relation to difficulty settings. On normal difficulty trainers have the same old predictable teams, while on "hard" they have more varied teams and counters.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
But I wish they'd make them less...restrictive? Repetitive? Have some of them bring more unexpected Pokemon and more balanced teams. Like a mid-game angler who has a couple of water Pokemon, but also a ground type to deal with electric Pokemon an/or a fire type to defend against grass Pokemon.
Something like that.
Yeah I agree here. It would be cool to see a Youngster with cute Pokémon or a Lass with cool Pokémon as part of their teams. It's just good to see something in teams that we don't usually expect.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I sure hope it wil have motion controls. Of course there would be an option to turn them off xD

Similar to splatoon
It's basically guaranteed it'll have motion controls. The Gen 4 games, starting with Diamond and Pearl, made use of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection and the Touch Screen then the Gen 6 games, starting with X and Y, utilised the 3DS's gyroscopic sensors and the 3D depth feature. This time, I'm sure Pokémon Switch will use motion controls, possibly to perform Z-Move poses, etc.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
It's basically guaranteed it'll have motion controls. The Gen 4 games, starting with Diamond and Pearl, made use of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection and the Touch Screen then the Gen 6 games, starting with X and Y, utilised the 3DS's gyroscopic sensors and the 3D depth feature. This time, I'm sure Pokémon Switch will use motion controls, possibly to perform Z-Move poses, etc.

Ah that'll be good. Coz I got used to switch and playing my 3ds is rly odd now coz I cant rotate the scenery xD

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Ah that'll be good. Coz I got used to switch and playing my 3ds is rly odd now coz I cant rotate the scenery xD
So when Game Freak moves on to the Switch, I think they'll have some trouble getting Inkay to evolve because evolving Inkay in the 3DS games involved turning your 3DS up-side down. Maybe we could play with our Joy-Cons upside down just to evolve Inkay most likely.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
So when Game Freak moves on to the Switch, I think they'll have some trouble getting Inkay to evolve because evolving Inkay in the 3DS games involved turning your 3DS up-side down. Maybe we could play with our Joy-Cons upside down just to evolve Inkay most likely.
I played Pixelmon but that had to be in a certain height of the game.

Hopefully in switch theyll do the upside down thing again or something similar with the motion controls

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Hopefully in switch theyll do the upside down thing again or something similar with the motion controls
Yeah, they could as well do something like that too. I guess it will be kinda easier to play with the Pro Controller because it's not like you've got two Joy-Cons in your hands. Maybe Game Freak could also introduce a couple of minigames that use motion controls or maybe some modes of transport similar to Tauros Ride in Sun and Moon or the Bicycle in the previous games use motion controls to perform tricks.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I played Pixelmon but that had to be in a certain height of the game.

I'm sure this won't be an issue with the Switch's motion controls. There are shrines in BOTW that can't be solved without motion controls. You have to rotate/flip the Joy-Con or the Pro Controller you are using to solve puzzles. Inkay could require you to rotate the Swith/Joy-con 180 degrees. It might not give the same impression if you are playing in tabletop or docked mode, but the mechanics would basically be the same.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think motion controlled Soaring would be fun as well as Surfing. Motion controls while using Surf could function similarly to Mantine Surf. Flip upwards to do a jumping flip, flip down to dive under water to avoid obstacles and flipping downward and then up would send you flying into the air.

Zamin

I think motion controlled Soaring would be fun as well as Surfing. Motion controls while using Surf could function similarly to Mantine Surf. Flip upwards to do a jumping flip, flip down to dive under water to avoid obstacles and flipping downward and then up would send you flying into the air.

Oh no Mantine surf was one of the worst parts of USUM, it was such a chore and a bore to get through it each time I played through the game.

agent9149

Oh no Mantine surf was one of the worst parts of USUM, it was such a chore and a bore to get through it each time I played through the game.

I honestly don't understand how they made something that seemed so fun in theory to something completely not fun.

agent9149

I hope we get some ocean routes. I really didn't appreciate after Hoenn they basically cut down the water routes. I liked being able to go in to the open seas and all the mini islands and sand bars full of items, and trainers. It was a cool aspect.

Orphalesion

I want diving to come back. It was kind of a missed opportunity to not include diving in Alola. Truth be told I'd even like to go to the Deep Sea sometime and get some freaky looking fish pokemon. With water routes I prefer to first have a greater variety of Pokemon to be encountered there, especially non-water types.

I don't own USUM, so I haven't played Mantine Surf. Is it a voluntary thing you can do whenever you like or is it like required to move between islands before you get access to the Charizard pokeride? Because stuff like that and soaring should, imho, only be voluntary and never completely replace the faster alternative.