• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I want diving to come back. It was kind of a missed opportunity to not include diving in Alola. Truth be told I'd even like to go to the Deep Sea sometime and get some freaky looking fish pokemon. With water routes I prefer to first have a greater variety of Pokemon to be encountered there, especially non-water types.

I don't own USUM, so I haven't played Mantine Surf. Is it a voluntary thing you can do whenever you like or is it like required to move between islands before you get access to the Charizard pokeride? Because stuff like that and soaring should, imho, only be voluntary and never completely replace the faster alternative.

The first time you have to use it, after that you can also use the boat like in SuMo. And Charizard ride also works in USUM the same as in SuMo. So essentially it's voluntary, I still do it regularly because I like it.

Ultra Beast Lover

I thought of another cool thing they could have, the underwater tunnel thing they had in B2W2. I know why they couldn't for the last two generations because they no longer use pixelated Pokemon thus making it harder on the system but now they can do it again. Oh and an Atlantis-esc area

agent9149

I want diving to come back. It was kind of a missed opportunity to not include diving in Alola. Truth be told I'd even like to go to the Deep Sea sometime and get some freaky looking fish pokemon. With water routes I prefer to first have a greater variety of Pokemon to be encountered there, especially non-water types.

They could have done a lot of with diving. Imagine a bog area or a lake area where you can dive in certain places. I wish gamefreak had some imagination.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
They could have done a lot of with diving. Imagine a bog area or a lake area where you can dive in certain places. I wish gamefreak had some imagination.
Maybe Game Freak could allow us to use motion controls while diving. Maybe we could tilt our bodies while using the Joy-Cons to turn or swim using breaststroke arm motion.

agent9149

Maybe Game Freak could allow us to use motion controls while diving. Maybe we could tilt our bodies while using the Joy-Cons to turn or swim using breaststroke arm motion.

Oh. That's too nice for us fans. Gamefreak will be like, "do you have motion control money?"

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Oh. That's too nice for us fans. Gamefreak will be like, "do you have motion control money?"
Yeah, I would like the experience of actually being in the overworld too.

I've also been thinking that the Joy-Cons could be used in a throwing motion to throw Poké Balls.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Yeah, I would like the experience of actually being in the overworld too.

I've also been thinking that the Joy-Cons could be used in a throwing motion to throw Poké Balls.
I thought that Nintendo had learned from Star Fox Zero that forcing motion controls on the masses is a bad idea. I hope that GF doesn't force motion controls on the players.

Last edited:

M.P.

Retired
I thought that Nintendo had learned from Star Fox Zero that forcing motion controls on the masses is a bad idea. I hope that GF doesn't force motion controls on the players.

Agreed. Not a fan of motion controls, so if Pokemon Switch has them, I hope there's an option to turn them off.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
So we're going to have gen 8 RPG for the switch? When was that confirmed?

Literally almost a year ago. Actually it might have been confirmed prior to E3 but I know E3 is when one of the GF people said it live.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think motion controls are okay if we the players have the option to turn them off and on whenever we want. And don’t force it onto to us like the Ultra Space Wormhole did in USUM. Ask us first what our preferred method will be. Soaring through the open sky and traversing the ocean with the Joy-cons would be fun to do.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I think motion controls are okay if we the players have the option to turn them off and on whenever we want. And don’t force it onto to us like the Ultra Space Wormhole did in USUM. Ask us first what our preferred method will be. Soaring through the open sky and traversing the ocean with the Joy-cons would be fun to do.

Yeah, you literally had to find the guy who turns off motion controls in USUM purely by chance.

If it weren't for the internet I would have been very disappointed. Hopefully that changed with this next game.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Agreed. Not a fan of motion controls, so if Pokemon Switch has them, I hope there's an option to turn them off.
I'm still sure it'll be an optional feature that could be changed in the settings or some other method like gyroscope or Circle Pad controls for Ultra Warp Ride in USUM.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Since the player will be using both Joy-Cons to play the game it'll be interesting to see what they use the extra buttons for. Because unlike the 3DS we have an extra joystick, ZL, and ZR buttons.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Since the player will be using both Joy-Cons to play the game it'll be interesting to see what they use the extra buttons for. Because unlike the 3DS we have an extra joystick, ZL, and ZR buttons.
Maybe this time we can finally change the camera angle using the right joystick and the ZL and ZR buttons may be used to adjust the zoom of the camera.

Ultra Beast Lover

Wouldn't it be something if we could go first person and look up at the sky. Imagine seeing towns, Pokemon, item balls, maybe even certain story events in first person

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Wouldn't it be something if we could go first person and look up at the sky. Imagine seeing towns, Pokemon, item balls, maybe even certain story events in first person
You mean in the player's view, right? It will be interesting if we can see in that perspective as well. Maybe there will be settings for the type of overworld view that the player experiences, like in the perspective of the player or an overhead view.

Kage-Pikachu

I wouldn't mind first person for a Pokemon game, I think either that or regular third person would be very ideal for exploring the Pokemon world. I loved how Black and White would occasionally bring the camera very close to the player and how X and Y did it occasionally as well. I love the overworld but I wish we could switch perspectives, maybe an overworld when viewing the map but first or third person when actually playing.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I wouldn't mind first person for a Pokemon game, I think either that or regular third person would be very ideal for exploring the Pokemon world. I loved how Black and White would occasionally bring the camera very close to the player and how X and Y did it occasionally as well. I love the overworld but I wish we could switch perspectives, maybe an overworld when viewing the map but first or third person when actually playing.

A lot of games are giving you a chose so that would be fun

agent9149

I too loved the camera dynamics in Generation 5. It was my favorite generation sans generation three. I wished we could have gotten some more out of it before jumping to the 3D version. While I like 3D...the style still feels a bit stale and not unique. Kind of like generation 1 and two. Perhaps the switch game will give us a truly unique style for the games.