• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
While rewatching the Japanese trailer, I caught something rather interesting.

DdYboqz.png

It shows up for only a split second before switching scenes, so you'll miss it if you don't pause at the right time. Looks like we'll be getting a nice surprise with Jesse and James at the Game Corner before the Hideout mission. Maybe even a battle with them?

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Eevee's vocalist has done a masterful job so far with its' reactions in different scenes.
Pikachu's new hairstyle reminds me of Ritchie's Sparky (US).
I'm not sure if I like the PE version of Switch; it kind of looks like stickers and Joy-Con can always be purchased if they make it available later on.
Pikachu can be seen next to Lapras in one of the trailers so, wondering if only the starters and Lapras can surf.

EDIT: Just realized. I captured a screenshot of 4chan leak before it got immediately shut down. They got the release date correct along with some other info. It seems Arcade part is in fact correct as well. Bear in mind, there are false information they put to not to get caught and draw attention. Now that people also talking about playing as Sabrina in Online Hub, I'm leaning the Arena part being correct in Saffron too.

I'll reply in spoiler as I don't know if it is correct to discuss a leak/rumor from 4chan and I don't take any of the leaks into account, unless it holds credibility. Regardless, it was intriguing that it immediately got shut down.

• He said the Direct will be on 31st of May at 3 JST and had a sarcastic title: "About 90% Fake."
  • The games are set to release on 16th of November 2018.
  • Aesthetic changes in Cycling Road, Mt. Moon and some routes, and more areas to explore in general.
  • Eevee receives two evolutions: Flying and Fighting. Pikachu and Raichu receive stat boosts.
  • Kanto starters are obtained via similar method in Yellow.
  • Red and Blue have morals in the story. While Red helps you to complete/fill your Dex, Blue has more 'rivalry' nature and battles you time to time to get you stronger.
  • Saffron City now has an Arena, Celadon City's Game Corner changed into Arcade.
  • Fuchsia City's Safari Zone lets you enter with Pokemon, but if the wild Pokemon you battle faints, you're kicked out.
  • Regarding GO, he said a device will be released for Switch in December, like GO Plus.
  • You earn bonus while trading from GO to Let's GO: Pokemon with exclusive moves and ones that cannot be caught in-game until Bank is released, which he says it will be released in early 2019.
  • GO Capture is in game, but works differently. You can throw the ball using touch-screen, but balls never miss. If you manage to hit well, better the capture rate. Even if you miss, it still connects with Pokemon.
  • For the aforementioned, he said that Legendary Pokemon release some kind of aura, like UB's do before the battle, which makes them harder to catch.
  • He says a change in EV system and called it as 'focus' and mentioned Super Training.
  • He specifically says 'Amberteak Islands' to be explored post-game.

Take with a grain of salt, or don't believe at all. I've explained why I put it in spoiler, and I'd like to have some sources to confirm/debunk when the official information comes in, along with the Piuk's and Real Leak's rumors.

Last edited:

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
How many times does Masuda have to reassure you people that Let's GO will not affect the main series in any way before you all actually listen to him?

Well, hopefully the translators are just purposely using super childish sounding names, and it’s not actually an indication of laziness. If it was due to laziness, then that could definitely carry on to future games. But this is only talking about the translation aspect though. I trust GF itself is working hard to meet expectations on the next games.

EDIT: Just realized. I captured a screenshot of 4chan leak before it got immediately shut down. They got the release date correct along with some other info. It seems Arcade part is in fact correct as well. Bear in mind, there are false information they put to not to get caught and draw attention. Now that people also talking about playing as Sabrina in Online Hub, I'm leaning the Arena part being correct in Saffron too.

Interesting, looks like most of that info could be true. I only really doubt the eeveelution part.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Well, hopefully the translators are just purposely using super childish sounding names, and it’s not actually an indication of laziness. If it was due to laziness, then that could definitely carry on to future games. But this is only talking about the translation aspect though. I trust GF itself is working hard to meet expectations on the next games.

It was definitely intentional. The games are being designed and marketed towards a much younger audience.

I wasn't too surprised by the names, just wildly perplexed. I didn't think they'd actually go that far, as to make baby-talk-like names for moves. I will admit, though, it will certainly appeal to parents looking for a fun safe game for their kids. Hell, a couple of my coworkers are having me go Christmas shopping with them to help them get gifts for their kids, and I'm certain Let's GO will shine on them.

PirateKing

Some things I noticed from the new trailer

- Seems like Gym Leaders are using their rosters from Red/Blue/FireRed/LeafGreen rather than Yellow, since Erika has Vileplume and Surge has 3 Pokémon.
Vileplume is also higher leveled than originally, going from 29 to 34
- The replacement for Fly is being used right outside the house we got the HM for Fly, so it seems like we unlock those abilities at the same spots
- Eevee has a Fire,Water, and Electric move, so when we transfer to 8th gen and evolve them, we’ll see some flaming Jolteons and some Shocking Vaporeons
- Game Corner is an Arcade as predicted, hopefully we get to play them
-We’ve officially run out of things to name moves
- The partner powers are so similar to Z-Moves, I’m guessing those are out in favor of Megas
- I REALLY love that we can go around in a Surfboard, I hope it has a jump button so we can trick out! It makes me want the Sevii Islands even more now because of their huge water routes. The Balloon Bike is cool too, it feels Ghibli-ish

Also, I’m betting we’re getting more news very soon, the direct must have had something new or else they would have released this on the day of the direct, Rather than drop it on a Monday. Pokenchi is going to have another reveal this week as well.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I do love that we don't need HM slaves, but Pikachu/Eevee themselves serving as your Flyer is just ridiculous.....

Those new move names are terrible. Completely unoriginal cringe worthy names.... will they just reveal that new Pokemon already? That's the only thing I want to see.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

DdYboqz.png

It shows up for only a split second before switching scenes, so you'll miss it if you don't pause at the right time. Looks like we'll be getting a nice surprise with Jesse and James at the Game Corner before the Hideout mission. Maybe even a battle with them?
Interesting. Maybe we’ll see them go into the Rocket Hideout once the player enters. But at least we can see the poster that the Team Rocket grunt is guarding a bit better.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Wow, what luck that I literally just happened to be planning on ordering a new Switch today. I'll finally, after all these years as a Pokémon fan, be able to actually get a Pokémon-themed special edition system. I had already given up hope on us getting a special edition Switch any time soon. I can't believe what perfect timing this announcement was.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Oh, so you can buy the Dock and Joy-Cons separately according to Japanese media. Hope it would be the case for the rest of the world.

BCVM22

The Joy-Cons are a shoe-in for an international release, I’d think. The separate dock, I’m less certain of.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The Joy-Cons are a shoe-in for an international release, I’d think. The separate dock, I’m less certain of.
I only like the Yellow Joy-Con. The Brown one doesn’t look that great to me. It just seems a bit boring. I like Eevee but that dull shade of brown looks off on the special Switch. If it was a different shade the maybe I’d like it more.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

DdYboqz.png

OMG. I love that! Here's to hoping! :) That would be pretty cool. Love Jesse and James.

I do love that we don't need HM slaves, but Pikachu/Eevee themselves serving as your Flyer is just ridiculous.....

Those new move names are terrible. Completely unoriginal cringe worthy names.... will they just reveal that new Pokemon already? That's the only thing I want to see.
Word. I'm just calling it Fly and Surf, like they've always been. No need to dumb the names down.

Wow, what luck that I literally just happened to be planning on ordering a new Switch today. I'll finally, after all these years as a Pokémon fan, be able to actually get a Pokémon-themed special edition system. I had already given up hope on us getting a special edition Switch any time soon. I can't believe what perfect timing this announcement was.
Yep it's pretty neat. Passing on it though as the price is a bit too high for it. Hoping that it goes on sale for Black Friday. If not, I'll be sticking with a regular one.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So, with these new moves, setting the names aside, while I do appreciate them trying to make using your Pikachu/Eevee more worthwhile, I'm a little confused as to why these moves exist in-universe in the first place.

While Surfing and Flying Pikachu has always been a thing in the games, it's always been a non-canon event thing. Having a Pikachu naturally be able to do these things just seems unusual, to say the least.

Then there's Eevee's moves. Yes, I realize they're the types of Eevee's original evolutions, but how is Eevee using them without evolving? It's kind of going against what Eevee is in the first place to be able to use these types of attacks before it evolves.

Baggie_Saiyan

How many times does Masuda have to reassure you people that Let's GO will not affect the main series in any way before you all actually listen to him?

Saying something and it actually happening are two different things. Things from LGPE will be brought over.

What's the point of LGPE if they're just gonna alienate this new audience they want? Someone new to Pokémon through LGPE knows the mechanics of that game and if they revert to Gen 8 like LGPE didn't happen then said person will be alienated and lost.... Which then makes the whole idea behind LGPE LITERALLY POINTLESS.

BCVM22

Because these are video games and on occasion, gameplay rightfully takes priority over thin notions of "canon" and other "in universe" stuff.

Expanding the movesets of Pikachu/Eevee with additional elemental attacks adds a dimension to two Pokémon who have otherwise traditionally been very narrowly limited, and with the intense focus on the Pikachu/Eevee starters, that makes sense in the context of this game. I suspect Eevee's new elemental attacks in particular won't be considerably stronger than Water Gun/Ember/Thundershock and are certainly not meant to replace a dedicated Pokémon of that type on your roster.

Yep it's pretty neat. Passing on it though as the price is a bit too high for it. Hoping that it goes on sale for Black Friday. If not, I'll be sticking with a regular one.

If one intended to get the Poké Ball Plus anyway, it's a savings of about $10.

If one had no such intention, though, then yes, it's more than the cost of the system and game otherwise.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Word. I'm just calling it Fly and Surf, like they've always been. No need to dumb the names down.
Yeah they were meant to function like HM moves. But that further supports the idea that the original HM moves are likely not to be in the game.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Saying something and it actually happening are two different things. Things from LGPE will be brought over.

What's the point of LGPE if they're just gonna alienate this new audience they want? Someone new to Pokémon through LGPE knows the mechanics of that game and if they revert to Gen 8 like LGPE didn't happen then said person will be alienated and lost.... Which then makes the whole idea behind LGPE LITERALLY POINTLESS.

Because Masuda also stated - if you ever bothered to listen - that if Let's GO is a success, it will likely become its own spin-off series. Therefore, it has no reason to affect the main series.

Just listen, man. Seriously.

Also, for the record, the Gen 8 title is already in development, and will be nearly finished by the time Let's GO sales are complete. They're not just going to abruptly throw in features from another game in the middle of production. That's not how development works, especially not for Pokémon games.

Last edited:

BCVM22

Things from LGPE will be brought over.

But no. Generation VIII will be less than a year from completion when LGP/E release. Development time simply doesn't allow for huge changes to be made at that relatively late stage.

This is perfectly circular logic. "What if someone likes these games SO MUCH that they get sad because there's no more for a little while?! It's actually BAD if people enjoy these games! LITERALLY POINTLESS!"

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
This is perfectly circular logic. "What if someone likes these games SO MUCH that they get sad because there's no more for a little while?! It's actually BAD if people enjoy these games! LITERALLY POINTLESS!"

lol I was just thinking about that.

I'm pretty sure those who enjoy Let's GO won't be completely livid about having to wait a few years for the next installment, and Game Freak isn't going to rush and amend an already developing game just to meet some highly marketed and thus well expected new demand.

D

Deleted member 384931

Tbh Kanto isnt such a challenge in the first place. Team Rocket isnt a challenge either. What the hell will they do as postgame? Will there even be a postgame?